On 05/06/2018 at 19:26, low plains drifter said:

While hanging out the window with a bowsaw

On 05/06/2018 at 19:27, Black neck said:

You know it brother

On 06/06/2018 at 19:30, Black neck said:

Yeah but thats the same as starting off wi a bow saw then breeding it to end up wi a chainsaw when you could of just got a chainsaw in the first place 

On 06/06/2018 at 22:34, Maximus Ferret said:

:DHow about ending up with an improved bowsaw because you don't want a chainsaw? If you end up with a chainsaw the breeding program was a failure.

(A chainsaw's way too heavy when you're hanging out the window)

On 06/06/2018 at 22:37, Black neck said:

Who would want a bowsaw 

On 06/06/2018 at 22:43, Maximus Ferret said:

Not if you wanted a better bowsaw. Incidentally, I make part of my living doing tree work and all arborists and ntree surgeons do use handsaws as well as chainsaws.

On 06/06/2018 at 22:45, Busher100 said:

A chainsaw takes alot less effort than using a bowsaw I say

On 06/06/2018 at 22:46, Black neck said:

You use a pruning saw and a chain saw you never use a bow saw admit it

On 06/06/2018 at 22:48, Maximus Ferret said:

In my case you'd be right.:D Some do use bowsaws but I consider the pruning saw to be an improvement.

Come on now fellas, these days it's all about finnesse. Yes, I agree, bowsaws, chainsaws, ripsaws, even hacksaws have their place,........... but 'coping saws' is where it's really at. ........... AMEN ☺

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a mystery, why the miscellany of rough and broken coated lurchers, (many of Deerhound origins),...have disappeared off the scene.? Perhaps we now have far more versatile hunting dogs, mostly

During the late 1980s, we put the first cross Deerhound/Greyhounds back to sheepdog blooded lurchers,..they were smashing dogs,..far more versatile than the F1... 

? I would always prefer a physically gifted dog that has twigged on, to use his natural gears to run slow when required, over a naturally slow dog that cannot ever hope to produce pace, or find a spee

Posted Images

6 hours ago, shaaark said:

Come on now fellas, these days it's all about finnesse. Yes, I agree, bowsaws, chainsaws, ripsaws, even hacksaws have their place,........... but 'coping saws' is where it's really at. ........... AMEN ☺

Glad we sorted that out

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, digging-deep said:

I have a young 1st x bitch standing 29” from doxhope/cookland she’s done everything I’ve asked of her up to yet but the real test starts from September 

E3DA9612-FA4E-4951-84B6-A42A855B3D91.jpeg

Nice looking bitch that. Has the look of scottish hare hunter's dog about her. How old she mate?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Busher100 said:

No that's just my standard and I wouldn't keep a dog that wasn't upto what I want it for that wouldn't make sense would it? When you said " the miniscule amount of bull or all the greyhound blood" I took it that you were trying to say shes not upto it. Hence I offered you to come and make your own mind up. By the way she just under 1/4 bull so not that "miniscule" haha 

This is the core problem with bull crosses. People get them and if they don't come up to a mythical standard they get rid of them. Back in the day it was cartridge in the back of the head now its a trip to the dogs trust. This strategy guarantees success because it places all the focus of the dog and none of the owner. What is worse is bull crosses are expected to be successful from an early age so the ownership cycle can be an 18 month one. Those dogs that do make the grade are pushed hard often before their grow plates have fused, and then start to suffer skeletal breakdown in their second or third season. Again these dogs are then discarded for being week. 

To add to this because their is a high likelihood that the dog will be got rid of, owners don't put in sufficient effort to bond with them.  

There is an alternative - invest in a dog and accept its limitations. 

• Like 8

Mate your talking shit there are MANY fox dogs that will take as much as you can show them and be just as keen for the next hardly a mythical standard. To me you seem the type of person that keeps a dog wether its a jacker or not which is fine but there are people who have dog for work if they don't they are PTS some wankers dump them but not me or many others. Also you think seem to think putting time into a dog is going to make the dog 100% percent on what you want and stop it jacking? F*ck knows where you got that one from

On 07/06/2018 at 09:01, two crows said:

yes it def comes from way back, and we keep breeding it in, most of the early saluki bred dogs were of lurchers not greyhounds so could be any thing in their makeup.

The wooly coat is likely just a genetic click with the saluki feathering so may well be down to the saluki ancestry as anything else.

As an aside it would be interesting to see how location would alter the UK coursing types, size and style wise?  

1 hour ago, sandymere said:

The wooly coat is likely just a genetic click with the saluki feathering so may well be down to the saluki ancestry as anything else.

As an aside it would be interesting to see how location would alter the UK coursing types, size and style wise?  

yeah think its just the saluki coat mixing with the lurcher coat, I put up some pics once of saluki with her normal coat and then in her dotage with a long coat. If you look at the peds of the proper woolly's you can trace it back to a mans dogs, and they don't look like any beddy crosses more cur

3 hours ago, Busher100 said:

Mate your talking shit there are MANY fox dogs that will take as much as you can show them and be just as keen for the next hardly a mythical standard. To me you seem the type of person that keeps a dog wether its a jacker or not which is fine but there are people who have dog for work if they don't they are PTS some wankers dump them but not me or many others. Also you think seem to think putting time into a dog is going to make the dog 100% percent on what you want and stop it jacking? F*ck knows where you got that one from

You are not a making any sense now you said early you would dump your dog almost a as a badge of pride. if I have mistaken that I apologies. 

The vast majority of dogs that are chucked on the scrap heap are by people who hunt for fun rather than those who hunt for coin. To be clear I am not saying YOU are one of these people but I am saying that a minority of bull x owners have an unrealistic expectation of their animals. 

Put in a bit of training and wait till the dog is at least 14 months then you are more likely to have a dog that will do whatever you want for the next 10 years. Obviously a dog might turn its nose up at a particular task but this is considerably LESS likely if it asked to do something when it is mentally and physically able. This is true for all dogs including bull xs.  I know you and others will say that you dog was killing foxes at 7 month but this isn't good for the dog in the long run. 

Bull x are great dogs but they are sold to people as instant killing machines and because they are they have become disposable. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Busher100 said:

Just curious how many fox did you do last season?

• Haha 1