• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a mystery, why the miscellany of rough and broken coated lurchers, (many of Deerhound origins),...have disappeared off the scene.? Perhaps we now have far more versatile hunting dogs, mostly

During the late 1980s, we put the first cross Deerhound/Greyhounds back to sheepdog blooded lurchers,..they were smashing dogs,..far more versatile than the F1... 

? I would always prefer a physically gifted dog that has twigged on, to use his natural gears to run slow when required, over a naturally slow dog that cannot ever hope to produce pace, or find a spee

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Busher100 said:

Mate you even said yourself your dog wouldn't be up for a few fox's. To me your dog is not much use but I bet if you tried a racey bull X they would surprise you not all bull xs are big slow heavy things get one with a drop of bull and they will do most jobs bar being a fen dog.

Yes,  she turns her nose up at the first sniff of a fox, and that is the way I like it.

I am a big fan of bull x btw. In fact I think it is a crying shame so many end up being cast out because of a lack of training or care. I just wish people would give them a bit more time or not run them hard young. They are great dogs. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, PJCaswell said:

Yes,  she turns her nose up at the first sniff of a fox, and that is the way I like it.

I am a big fan of bull x btw. In fact I think it is a crying shame so many end up being cast out because of a lack of training or care. I just wish people would give them a bit more time or not run them hard young. They are great dogs. 

I've never bothered much with foxes or those other things...?

Facts are, nowadays we have purpose bred canines that genuinely relish that old game,..but back in the day, you often had to hunt a vulpine out of cover for a Keeper or Farmer with what you had, and if you wanted to stay on the land,... ye had better not miss the fecker...?

File0736.jpg.36ff39c599d1da3e4311485808df3eee.jpg

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Facts are, nowadays we have purpose bred canines that genuinely relish that old game,..but back in the day, you often had to hunt a vulpine out of cover for a Keeper or Farmer with what you had, and if you wanted to stay on the land,... ye had better not miss the fecker...?

Or be prepared to switch to night shifts:whistling::D

• Haha 1

Don't know much about these dogs but if I was to be getting one don't think I'd get a first x myself I like the look of these x's but I don't have the big fields really so would have one bred down in size a bit possible with some collie in there aswell 

27 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Don't know much about these dogs but if I was to be getting one don't think I'd get a first x myself I like the look of these x's but I don't have the big fields really so would have one bred down in size a bit possible with some collie in there aswell 

I think most people who get first crosses just like this cross and are ready to accept whatever they CAN do workwise. Once you do have one you can always see it as a starting point and out cross to whatever suits you - smaller/gutsier/more intelligent etc.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

I don't know who looks more miserable - you, your dog or the fox ?

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

? You're not wrong there...mind you, me and Lucy soon cheered up when the Farmer gave us the lamping rights?...

Whereas, that poor old fox never really got over the experience.? 

File0059.jpg.d45c9bc94af1d08ed4728fcff76a1003.jpg

Lovely animal that... 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Maximus Ferret said:

I think most people who get first crosses just like this cross and are ready to accept whatever they CAN do workwise. Once you do have one you can always see it as a starting point and out cross to whatever suits you - smaller/gutsier/more intelligent etc.

Yeah but thats the same as starting off wi a bow saw then breeding it to end up wi a chainsaw when you could of just got a chainsaw in the first place 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Black neck said:

Yeah but thats the same as starting off wi a bow saw then breeding it to end up wi a chainsaw when you could of just got a chainsaw in the first place 

:DHow about ending up with an improved bowsaw because you don't want a chainsaw? If you end up with a chainsaw the breeding program was a failure.

(A chainsaw's way too heavy when you're hanging out the window)

Edited by Maximus Ferret