New to the sport, New to the forum

Cormorant

Hi just a quick introduction. My names Dave, im 35, married with 2 lovley daughters and i live in Royston, Hertfordshire.

Most of my life i have kept some kind of animal from fish and fogs to birds and reptiles. Every animal i have ever owned i have commited to 100% both finacially and with my time. This has led me on some fascinating adventures with captive breeding and sharing my experiences and techniques with others. My mum is a registered breeder and breeds african greys, cockatoos, parokets and other birds i cant remember the name of, so im no stranger to birds. I also have a dog, a female staff, shes nutty but friendly as fudge.

Through a love for photography i have become obssed with raptors, and have decided to start looking into falconry. I have a day course coming up that was a gift, and have been reading and watching everything i can find on the web.

Is there anyone withing a short driving distance of me that would be interested in supporting me? I have already found an avian vet, and am going to be booking a 5 day falconry course in the summer.

Im more than greatful for any advice that can be passed my way.

thanks

Dave

• Like 3

Hi Dave, nice introduction. You would be better off finding out where your nearest falconry club is, by doing this you would be able to meet people and I'm sure that someone would be willing to mentor you. This would be a far better and cheaper option than paying out for courses. Sometimes but not always these courses are run by people that don't really have a great knowledge of the sport. A lot of places are based on the keeping of raptors whereas true falconry is hunting with birds of prey.

Good luck in your quest, keep us posted!

20 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

Hi Dave, nice introduction. You would be better off finding out where your nearest falconry club is, by doing this you would be able to meet people and I'm sure that someone would be willing to mentor you. This would be a far better and cheaper option than paying out for courses. Sometimes but not always these courses are run by people that don't really have a great knowledge of the sport. A lot of places are based on the keeping of raptors whereas true falconry is hunting with birds of prey.

Good luck in your quest, keep us posted!

Hi thanks for the insight. The places that run the courses seem to be mainly display centres, does this mean that these birds neverr actually hunt? 

Is it possible to keep BoP in this way? Not that this is what my intention is.

what is the best way to find local clubs ect? Is there place where they are registered?

Dave

Some centres do hunt some of their birds but you would be better off finding someone that keeps their birds to hunt with.

It is possible to keep some birds of prey and not hunt them but obviously this isn't falconry in the true sense.

You could try contacting the BFC and find out which region you would come under as a starting point. Or just try to find someone reasonably close to you that has their own birds and ask if they would be willing to let you tag along and see if its for you etc.

Good luck!

Here you go, 

https://www.britishfalconersclub.co.uk/New_Site/bfc-regions/

It may be worth contacting them just to see if they can put you in touch with anyone near to you that's keeping and flying raptors, as a starting point.

Edited by Moorman 1