Old nuttall stock

1 hour ago, DavidR said:

Yankee Boris was a Gould dog, Tuffy was Nuttall. Digger I am unsure.

Barrie, John spoke highly of you & I have a little of that blood in my current dogs. He never charged me for a dog & was always honest about the breedings

Hi David

I remember John's son and his friend (Shaun ???) came over to stay with us and to go digging and hunting maybe a couple, or even three decades ago now.

Shaun flew all the way from the USA wearing his favourite digging boots. He said he didn't mind losing his clothes and other stuff in his suitcase "But no way am I risking these boots !!!".

He was deadly serious and I've got the biggest imaginable grin on my face right now just thinking about it. The lads were a pleasure and we enjoyed their company immensely. 

John would ring me up frequently to check out some of the bull shit pedigrees that were being bandied about by some of the "wannabe names" on this side of the Pond who were nothing but glorified puppy peddlers. I always found him to be an honest man and in return I always tried to be as honest with him.

R.I.P. John.

Kindest Regards - Barrie

Edited by Barrie
  • Like 5

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few photos of some of the old terriers from those lines which I was fortunate enough to own from the 1970's - 1990's   

maybe , maybe not , maybe the two banged up had been doubled up , maybe both did 5 hours each separate digs  , history is as honest as the person you wish to believe 

x      

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Being a cinical type ,I bet there's lads frantically writing down peds before the thread goes hits up from arguing lol.

Don't give too much  away lads .

Hung peds are easy to spot, because these breeding only produced a few pups which are given , so people just make fools Of themselves and loss all credibility, 

• Like 3
On 21/06/2018 at 22:13, downsouth said:

The very first black terriers i witnessed would have been around 88 when i was 13/14 years old.A few of the older lads on my estate had them and they were little smooth bull headed black or red things and were out of a poweful black bully dog from the next town called Digger.Some were by Digger to various crossbred bitches and the nicer ones were Digger to his own daughters and the lads all called them Nuttals.Years later a couple of the lads who i became mates with told me Digger was out of a black bitch that a lad called Nat had from Brian to a rough coated wheaton coloured dog called Moley that i can just about remember seeing at the hunt shows as a kid when i first started getting interested in terriers.A few years back i met the fella who owned Moley and it turned out he was a son of WW's Kipper.All these rough young 17/18year old lads on a council estate had these dogs without actually realising what they had.Like i said i went on to become good friends with a couple of the lads and one of them my pal Ant had a 3/4 Digger son a little 12"proper bully thing he called Duke and he said he remembers the other lads telling him he needed to worm it and feed it more because whenever it went to ground they'd dig it with a half eaten fox.My other pal had a brother to Duke which got killed by his dads lurchers but he said he remembers trying to break it to ferrets when it was 12 weeks old and giving up after it finished smashing the 3rd ferret to bits.A few of them lads have gone on to have a few decent terriers over the years but all still say to this day theyve never had anything as hard as them little dogs.

Had same sort of similar start with the black dogs we first got , I would of been 14 and though the was other black dogs and colours about, on way morning out we out ferreting and stuff and got told of pups when we be asking. The man who we got them off , only a few no who he was and he wasn't one for going around or hunting with others. I never knew who nuttall was and he told me that sire was dog rocky, saw a picture of him few weeks later in the cw. 35 a pup and at that time good Russell's was 25 about. These were a very hard strong terriers, big , little bit big was the 3 dogs but not crazy big size. The sister out of that litter, Brian took , chocolate and went straight to America. As said above, to have that sort of dogsalways remembered and how good .if I had choice of one dog to line my bitch nowadays it would of been the dog i had . To compare it to dogs that been and seen and ones nowadays is something really can't say what better now with dogs of late 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Yes it was the shooting news then , cw to many of today.  Sos about my wording, I've never wrote a book .But I had a real good dog then ?. And I probably saw some stuff you have in yours if it it was by df stuff ??