5 month old Cocker chasing low flying birds

Hi guys,

i have got a 5 month old working Cocker who is proving to be very game but he has started to chase low flying birds and despite me shouting he won’t stop chasing it until he realises that he can’t catch it!!

im keen to correct this issue with him but I don’t know what to do.

Has anyone got any experience with this issue who can pass on some advice?

Thanks 

BBB

BBB,

If the pup is chasing birds just think how he will be, when he comes across a rabbit or Hare - you may lose him!

Sounds like basic training needs to commence  and I would suggest a Gundog train book to get the basic obedience started.  Even better many Gundog societies are starting training classes that you may want to join.  An untrained spaniel becomes an embarrassment  and many shoots are plagued by them!

At five months  it is still to young for formal training most pups will chase anything at that age. Try to use the situation  as a positive when the pup stops chasing give it a recall whistle and praise it for returning shouting at it when its in top gear is a waste of time and it will teach it to ignore your voice.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

All the advice above ..And keep it well away from any game , that just puts it in the situation for things to go wrong ..Five months old basic training should be a fun game . All the spaniels I’ve had (3) never see any live game until they were twelve months old all the time spent now on basic training will pay of . 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

All the above is great advice, basic training drummed into spaniels before attempting anything with live quarry especially stop, stay and recall commands.

I start all my dogs of that is cocker, lurchers and terriers in with my chickens and ducks, get them to walk through them to heel then sit stay and then recall them to me from a distance so they have to run through them so they get used to things flapping about in a controlled environment then when it happens out it is not new to them or seen as a game to chase. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Hilly, The Monkey, Sussex & Jarvis for your comments on this. He’s 8 months old now and 2 months into his training - I’ve got him under control with this and he’s not chasing anything at all.

Your comments really were very positive and helped keep me calm when he was going through his ‘chasing phase’. 

I was always expecting at least one idiot to either patronise or be darn right unhelpful but the comments from you guys made up for that one idiot! 

Thanks guys 

BBB

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

the stop whistle is a wonerfull thing but the best dogs are always on the verge of going wrong lol. I know a shoot host who all ways flags up in front of some drives and if his dog starts to run in he pretends to send it, one of my cockers ran forward one day for a bird 200 yards ish no amount of whistle would stop it, my mate came on our private channel and said what a great retrieve on that runner it was I said it would of been if I f***ing  sent it lol, keep controle and don't get exited, enjoy.

• Like 1