I once heard that a man started out with old school Russells, added a bit of Beagle and a dash of Stafford, a smidgen of Fell and a soupcon of Fox Terrier to create the best ratting terriers. No idea how it all worked out in the end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Staffies can make good ratters, all of mine have found and killed rats at some point or another. My beddy whippet isnt so keen on them. She breaks their back with a wee shake and tosses them into the air and walks on, she doesnt finish them off, but my staffy pup likes crunching them up. 

13 hours ago, eastcoast said:

I once heard that a man started out with old school Russells, added a bit of Beagle and a dash of Stafford, a smidgen of Fell and a soupcon of Fox Terrier to create the best ratting terriers. No idea how it all worked out in the end.

Brian Plummer I think your talking about chum.

9 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

Im sure his post was a little bit of tongue in cheek you'll find.

Yes I was being a little sarcastic, once again proving that it really is the lowest form of wit.

Looking at the ratting threads on here and the photographs posted on them it would seem the Plummer is indeed a terrier capable of regularly killing rats in large numbers. Those lads appear to be doing great work with breed. The little Westie is the star of the show for me though. Very nice to see a "pet" breed given the chance to resurrect it's working instinct.

One of the best I've personally seen was a mate's border/lakeland x sealyham/russell. Must have been about 35 years ago. 

Border/lakeland sire was brought down from the midlands, sealyham/russell dam from the valleys, south wales.

I usually have 3 or 4 trips out ratting a year around a couple of local pheasant shoots at the end of the season .  There will be all types of dog there . Gun dogs , lurchers , terriers , collies , mastiffs , mongrels . One thing they must all do is get along . Sometimes when the action slows down , some of the bull crosses and paterdales have started on other dogs and have to be put away . All the dogs have their own style of ratting , and seem to bring their unique talent . I have a Russel dog who never takes his nose out of the holes and is a brilliant “marker”. The lurches will not miss many “runners”. Terriers tend to mill about waiting by holes for a bolt . But I can honestly say that the best ratter I’ve ever witnessed , for lightning speed and a fearsome shake was a small brindle staff bitch belonging to the late Stewart Frost . I haven’t yet witnessed a Plummer . 

I was out with some mates on the rubbish tips up  Scotland afew weeks ago, I took afew  terriers an even no they are quite good on the rats an been on them a few times there was some little border/lakeys an border/Russell's there an they were shit hot on them showed my dogs up to an extent but mine are earth dogs not ratters so horse's for courses, we had 300+ in about 3 half hours we had to keep bringing the dogs out of the buildings for a drink it was that hot.

• Like 1