Ripley in my garden

A friend  is a bit of an air rifle buff but only has a short garden. I on the other hand have a long garden with a compost heap backed by a garage wall that makes a good back-stop for zeroing.

A few years ago he bought quite cheaply a very neglected Ripley and has just got round to having it refurbished by the original maker . It turns out to be a very early one and had fallen into disrepair due to neglect and unde-use  rather than abuse . 

Its a lump of a thing ,nothing subtle about the bolt-action but even I managed a five shot group that made me hand it back to him in case he asked me to repeat it.

He also brought round his Air Arms lightweight to zero with a Yukon night scope. I wasn't too impressed by the scope  but that may be down to the two idiots trying to opperate it. Apparently it can be used in daylight too but it was bright sunshine and he had forgotton the instructions.

IMG_0461.jpg.8f42ad3d563895f021a4563b55d5edc9.jpg

The Ripleyin more skilled hands than mine.

IMG_0462.jpg.f0931e7934d65bae5aa0591bbaecf81c.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg.c9ebf814dfd32113a2a6c11d7efe76a9.jpg

My 30yard surprise 5 shot group. The bottom hole wasn't a flyer it was user error! I knew it was wrong as I pulled the trigger.  All down to the rifle not me . The owner's groups were more better

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1

Ripley were always a bit original/different and created a name for themselves (sort of the Purdey of rifles), if you want one then why not, but (just like Purdey) don't expect any better performance than some other makes can achieve.