Favourite tipple of choice.

Just now, ChrisJones said:

Winston Churchill beat the bosch while chucking down enough to undermine the health of an ordinary man.

Luckily for all of us, he wasn't an ordinary man.

“I drink champagne at all meals, and buckets of claret and soda in between,” When in Saudi a banquet was thrown in his honour. He was informed by the staff that he couldn't smoke or drink on religious grounds. His reply?

“My religion prescribed as an absolute sacred ritual smoking cigars and drinking alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and the intervals between them.”

I'll be raising my glass to him this Memorial Day.

He also insisted on drinking champagne by the pint ,

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm at about 15 seconds at the moment...

This can be nice, 

I understand that mate and you're right a lot of this does get lost in translation and will inevitably do so due to the limitations of the format we use to engage. I've been on here since IanB opened

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, John d said:

Crazy aint it mate! I have people say to me that I should shut up going on about it and move on etc but the truth is I honestly hate what I see and hear the stuff doing to other people with a passion!

I have a mate on facebook now who posts about drinking most days and its always "busy day at work so earned this" or "well earned beer after a long walk with the dogs" etc and he cant see that he is justifying his drinking to himself by teasing himself its "earned" or a reward for doing something other than drinking all day which is really what he wants to do! 

Sad thing is I'm sure most on here will know someone who has lost the lot through drink and paid his/hers dues to the government for the pleasure

You're absolutely right, mate. The evidence is empirical when it comes to seeing the havoc it can wreak on people's lives but it's not our place to say who can do what. Sure we can draw the line where that freedom infringes on others and this is no way an endorsement for abuse or criminal behaviour but most people can handle their drink with no threat to anyone else.

I live in a state where all booze is regulated by the state. If I want to drink in a bar I have to go 75 miles. So I have a few medicinal sherries at home. Not harming anyone and I really, really, really, enjoy it.

People have the freedom to flush, or not flush, their lives down the toilet and it's no business of ours.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, John d said:

Crazy aint it mate! I have people say to me that I should shut up going on about it and move on etc but the truth is I honestly hate what I see and hear the stuff doing to other people with a passion!

I have a mate on facebook now who posts about drinking most days and its always "busy day at work so earned this" or "well earned beer after a long walk with the dogs" etc and he cant see that he is justifying his drinking to himself by teasing himself its "earned" or a reward for doing something other than drinking all day which is really what he wants to do! 

Sad thing is I'm sure most on here will know someone who has lost the lot through drink and paid his/hers dues to the government for the pleasure

He doesn't even see his kids now because drinking is his whole life and he's accepted it.

Was your dad a big drinker.?

14 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

“Hot baths, cold champagne, new peas and old brandy” were his four essentials for life.

Yes one of his great quotes , apparently he drank 42,000 bottles in his time ?

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Poteen?

A true story.

A few years back the Gardi (police) raided the premises of a farmer who made poteen (a hackler) and found a still.

The farmer appeared before the judge and the farmer pleaded not guilty as the still was empty at the time. The judge asked the arresting sergeant was this true ?

The sergeant said yes but he was still guilty as he had the equipment.

The farmer stood up and said "you might as well charge me for rape too your honour,"

"Why ?" asked the judge.

"Sure haven't I the equipment for that too, but it doesn't mean I done it," said the farmer.

The judge dismissed the case.

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, John d said:

Need more info.....do you shake uncontrollably during your dry days? Do you try and justify not being an alcoholic by having said dry days? Is it always 5/6 days or more like 2/3? Can you say "I'm not drinking today" and then go to the pub and drink orange juice? 

If you answer the first 2 yes and the last one no then yes you are lol hopefully your not tho :D

No, no and yes lol

I check to see how much beer I've got in on my days off cos it's a car ride to the nearest shop and I like to be prepared.

Don't think about drinking till I'm off work and whenever we go out for a meal I usually drive and just have one pint.

Haven't managed to fill the recycling container in a fortnight yet, does that count? Just been adding up in my head, I drink twice as much tea as beer in a week ?

Edited by dytkos
  • Haha 1