Clay shooting

I’ve never really done much clay shooting but I’m thinking of going to Riseley shooting ground at some point soon as it’s not too far from me 

just wondering can I just turn up and go shooting? Or will I need to book a slot? 

Dont know a out that ground but most ive shot at are greatful that you have turned up. Give them a ring or rock up and just have a look at what its like. seeing as its your first time at clays, Try to go at a time/day that it is quieter because if there are a lot of group's there you will feel rushed or herded along. Just go along and ask to shoot "birds only" not in the pool shoot or competition. This is just like practice shooting. Dont worry if you haven't got the right gear, your just going to enjoy the shooting. The clays might seem faster than normal but take your time and shoot as you normally would. Watch the other shooters and how the birds fly.  Use cartridges with smaller shot like 7-1/2 have fun. It can be addictive. And get expensive

Edited by Meece

The price just kept going up with the price of lead. I dont know if the lead shot price has come down but I don't expect bought prices to drop anytime soon. Still I laid in a bit of stock in slabs and reloading components. Just to think that we used to be able to buy 80 & 82 series powders for a £ a lb. The good old days. When a gallon of 4 star cost 32p !

12 hours ago, Meece said:

The price just kept going up with the price of lead. I dont know if the lead shot price has come down but I don't expect bought prices to drop anytime soon. Still I laid in a bit of stock in slabs and reloading components. Just to think that we used to be able to buy 80 & 82 series powders for a £ a lb. The good old days. When a gallon of 4 star cost 32p !

On 28/05/2018 at 08:32, tsteve9999 said:

The only one I've been to is Millride, and as Walshie says, you just pay your money and bang away.

same here, spent many a sat there banging away at clays  , dont shoot much now . but i did find it bit hard at 1st going on to live stuff , to clays as most times  the clay slowing  down from the trap, where as birds are picking up speed, so you follow through  on to your target (pull thorough and fire)  are at different speed  .But  after few shots i  started  hitting few birds ( pigeon , pheasant , partridge ) and rabbits , and done ok , ive got 12g  686  Beretta  7lb weight , so fair weight to carry all day walking about ,   but there good  gun for both live stuff and clays  

1 hour ago, ChrisJones said:

I picked up a hundred yesterday and they cost me about 16p a shell with the exchange rate.

That’s about half what we pay , would seem we are getting the proverbial kick up the nuts as usual , the £318 was after a discount for buying 5000 ....we get rinsed over here ...

2 minutes ago, sussex said:

That’s about half what we pay , would seem we are getting the proverbial kick up the nuts as usual , the £318 was after a discount for buying 5000 ....we get rinsed over here ...

Understandable with restrictions you have and we know it's political.

Current prices...

• 4p a round for .22LR
  • 16p a shell for 12g
  • 18p a round for 9MM
  • 30p a round for 5.56MM
  • £1.09 a round for .45-70
  • £3.72 a round for .338 Lapua