Portugal

Anyone been to Portugal or better still, lived there? I’m considering another move and Portugals in my sights. I’m out west of America atm, California, Nevada and I’m looking for that sort of weather/ terrain again but in Europe.  Not interested in spain. Would go back to Ireland but hate the rain ? I need a nice out the way place, couple of acres, no neighbors etc  and of course plenty of rabbits, hares and deers ?

What part of Portugal would you recommend? What parts to avoid? Anything else I should know? 

• Like 1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No shortage of boar hunting from top top to bottom and not frowned upon apart from a few English pats lol 

Pm me, I know Portugal well especially Alentejo. It’s an amazing country with a bit of everything for everyone

Great country the food the drink and the people , alentejo might be for you ?

Posted Images

3 hours ago, DogMagic said:

Anyone been to Portugal or better still, lived there? I’m considering another move and Portugals in my sights. I’m out west of America atm, California, Nevada and I’m looking for that sort of weather/ terrain again but in Europe.  Not interested in spain. Would go back to Ireland but hate the rain ? I need a nice out the way place, couple of acres, no neighbors etc  and of course plenty of rabbits, hares and deers ?

What part of Portugal would you recommend? What parts to avoid? Anything else I should know? 

Great country the food the drink and the people , alentejo might be for you ?

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Lusitano said:

Plenty of Rabbits, Fox, greys, Deers and boars... plenty to keep most hunters busy

What x of running dog would you work, got to have the best of feet and be able to take knocks. I've seen ibiza hounds work in small packs in malorca and on main land Spain and they was a hardy bunch but noisey and the one's we saw were mostly ruff coated. Atb 

Thanks for the replies so far ? Sounds like Alentejo is the place. Anyone got any contacts out there? 

What are the downsides? I heard that it’s expensive to buy a car there (as much as TEN TIMES the price of the same car in the uk ?). And exporting one is also a pain in the back passage.  Anyone know any ways around that?

Hunters use a variety of Portuguese podengos, alanos, villanos, dogos and Dogo x podengos make a nice multi functional working type which is beginning to be seen more and more... 

Alentejo is a very warm part of Europe, temperatures in the summer can reach well into the 40 degrees celsius, so it is a dry and hard surface to work in the summer but in the winter there’s plenty of rain, crops grow well, there can be a shortage of water in the summer but over all when it comes to a peaceful lifestyle, plenty of areas to hunt and to get out and about with the dogs it’s a hard place to beat. It’s a beautiful area... wines, olives, cheeses, chorico & Parma ham, if anyone ever makes it there, try the local black pig meat it’s AMAZING!!!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, stormyboy said:

The red tape there is horrendous for stuff like that. Cost my bro in law nearly as much as the car was worth to register his.

Stay away from albufiera unless you like Benidorm! 

The lady has just been there and she said the Old Town was nice? 

• Like 1