• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was given this old photo of my father and some mates,  by my mother as a keep sake. Thinking maybe early 70's. I know this topic has been shared here before, but couldn't find any threads on it.

This old photo solved a mystery for me while I was researching my family history as I was told one of our family was killed on a railway while rabbiting by my sister. Twigged it when saw this photo of

A picture of my great,great, great grand uncle during the famine 1845

Posted Images

i got a swapdraft onto this animal in about 1974/75ish    yank navy    uss  dupont nearly all the crew were conscripts   and out of there heads on dope most of the time  ,,joined it in den  helda        holland  

USS_DuPont_(DD-941)_underway_in_1978.jpg

• Like 3

I have been doing my family tree this last week and i found some very interesting stuff that happened to my great gran and grandad .... on my dads side

818797126_capture-20180601-084544babymyrabestcopy.jpg.52706750b499f4305f092cd63f57bfd8.jpg

I am going to visit Baby Myra now I have found her grave 

• Like 5
30 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

A sad tale but I think most families went thru the mill some way or another back when.

Good on you visiting the child's resting place .

When I read that newspaper cutting it made me cry I felt very emotional they did marry and have a large family hopefully her grave will be marked but I have the plot number so if its not I might enquire how I go about getting a small stone made with her name on it 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My Gran and Granddads old house, its gone now. Here's Grad parents, mother and father aunt and uncle and us kids. I loved to go and stay in that old house it had gas lights which used to fascinate me. Only one cold water tap a potty under every bed a jug of cold water and a bowl on every dresser, and the toilet was up the garden. There was a spiral stair case which us kids loved, lowering a basket on a string with an apple or something in. But in the Attic which you could access through a little door was stored aunt and uncles stuff from South Africa masks, spears, shields and horns, in the half light it was very scary. I would venture a little closer on each visit. Lol.

1493626101_rosecottage.thumb.jpg.0dd7026732e6cafb9383689053f4fd8e.jpg

1866858476_arscotts-Version2.jpg.1881d61be61c2fb9904b493748d6fdbc.jpg

Cheers Arry 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

The first Buckfast to Totnes raft race, 1981 i think, they still run it these days. Nobody had a clue what build, when we did a test run it just turned over had to put the outriggers which created drag. We did finished, but took us about 8 hours we were freezing and getting cramp, every body has wet suits these days. Me in the centre holding the oil drum with the 8 on it. Had hair on the top of my head then.

376705684_Raftrace.thumb.jpg.29c7d772c58e05e8b7b760bfb8c31b09.jpg

Cheers Arry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Arry said:

The first Buckfast to Totnes raft race, 1981 i think, they still run it these days. Nobody had a clue what build, when we did a test run it just turned over had to put the outriggers which created drag. We did finished, but took us about 8 hours we were freezing and getting cramp, every body has wet suits these days. Me in the centre holding the oil drum with the 8 on it. Had hair on the top of my head then.

376705684_Raftrace.thumb.jpg.29c7d772c58e05e8b7b760bfb8c31b09.jpg

Cheers Arry

I was in that raft race Arry ? ours was made of 4 baths. We also finished but as you said was bloody cold & hard going in jeans & T shirts ? atb

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Dinosaurs said:

I was in that raft race Arry ? ours was made of 4 baths. We also finished but as you said was bloody cold & hard going in jeans & T shirts ? atb

Did you come down to do the raft race or did you live down here then ?

Cheers Arry

I have posted these before but maybe of interest on this thread.

The photo with the people is my favourite family picture simply because there is an old type Bedlington in it. My Great uncle and aunty. He was a pitman and the pic would of been taken 1950's (I think) in the Team Valley area of Gateshead NE England. Poor quality I know as I only have it in photocopied form. Other photographs exist of this man's Bedlingtons but are in the possession of my cousin and I been trying to get them off him for 20 odd years. I will not relent and they will be mine eventually.

The pic of the 3 dogs is a postcard that my nana had sent to her from the man in photograph. Highly unlikely that they were his dogs but that was the type he bred and I have always had a sneaking (unlikely) suspicion  hat they were his.

001.jpg

002.jpg

• Like 13
12 hours ago, Arry said:

Did you come down to do the raft race or did you live down here then ?

Cheers Arry

We came down from Oxford. I was working in a builders merchants ( hence the baths ). We made it very strong to last but it was bloody heavy! We also used it in a local race on river Thames in Abingdon, we came 2nd. At end of race they had a sort of destruction derby & ours was one of the few that survived.  Cheers for putting pic up i’d long forgotten about it. Did you travel down or were/do you live that way? Atb

8 hours ago, Dinosaurs said:

We came down from Oxford. I was working in a builders merchants ( hence the baths ). We made it very strong to last but it was bloody heavy! We also used it in a local race on river Thames in Abingdon, we came 2nd. At end of race they had a sort of destruction derby & ours was one of the few that survived.  Cheers for putting pic up i’d long forgotten about it. Did you travel down or were/do you live that way? Atb

Totnes Boy mate. built it in a flat in the high street and lowered it out the window. 

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2