Looking for help/guidance. 

Is it worthwhile using middens in the summer? 

Have been using 4 middens over the past few weeks, yet have not seen any activity. The shoot I am affiliated to is a huge area of moorland and woodland, and I know there is foxes in the area. 

Strangely enough there are also a few dead sheep in the area that have been lying for a few weeks that have never been touched either!! 

Just for info, the middens are baited with everything from rabbits, pigeons, deer carcass, rats, and loads of trout. 

Any info would be appreciated. 

Ta 

On 22/05/2018 at 19:56, fumbles said:

Looking for help/guidance. 

Is it worthwhile using middens in the summer? 

Have been using 4 middens over the past few weeks, yet have not seen any activity. The shoot I am affiliated to is a huge area of moorland and woodland, and I know there is foxes in the area. 

Strangely enough there are also a few dead sheep in the area that have been lying for a few weeks that have never been touched either!! 

Just for info, the middens are baited with everything from rabbits, pigeons, deer carcass, rats, and loads of trout. 

Any info would be appreciated. 

Ta 

I would suggest that you download a copy of one of the codes of best practice for snaring from a body such as BASC or DEFRA . Read and inwardly digest their contents . 

6 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I would suggest that you download a copy of one of the codes of best practice for snaring from a body such as BASC or DEFRA . Read and inwardly digest their contents . 

Thanks for the reply. 

I aware of the codes of best practice with regards to the setting of snares as it formed the most part of the accreditation course that I had to attend in order to gain my licence.

What I was hoping for was that someone on here may have had similar issues and if so, what did they do to resolve! 

It looks to me that working middens in the summer months is a waste of time, unless someone tells me different. 

Thanks 

Davy 

5 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Sorry if I sounded a bit flippant but the reason you wont be having much success in the summer is anything you put out will be fly blown and rotten in no time and  will just turn it  into a putrid smelling no go area .

Right, that makes perfect sense as they are stinking. I actually thought (wrongly ) that the putrid smell would be part of the attraction. 

Thanks for your input. 

Davy 

• 2 weeks later...