Advice please lads.

I`m wanting to buy a rifle privately from a guy on free ads who lives miles away in Oxford.

What`s the best/ safest way to do this please ?

Thank you for any advice .

Mark.

Really it’s a trust thing , I’ve sold a fair few & never had a problem, but there is some dodgy people just out to scam folk , I’ve got lads working down in Banbury Oxfordshire that will be heading back up north ! Always worth trying to get a trusted forum member in that area to do the deal for you & post it to you !

• Like 2

Best thing would be through PayPal mate. He won’t want to do that though as any disagreements, faulty rifle, not as described etc etc PayPal generally goes the buyers side. But ask him definatly. PayPal bascailly works as a holding account if you know what I mean, not as simple as that like but it’s the best and safest (if there is a safe way to send money to someone you’ve never met) way.

• Like 1

Check out his history of sales!

if he’s been on a while and sold a bit he’s more than likely fine, freeads do trusted and stuff and like Rez said PayPal’s a good thing!

bought loads of stuff off freeads with no bother. 

• Like 1

My Son has just been explaining the pay pal route lads and thank you for the advice.

My Son has a pay pal account and will send the money for me.

Any suggestions which parcel company for sending an air rifle through the post ?

People knock Hermes but, I've sent a few rifles with them now and, they've always got there fine - it takes 2-3 days but the prices are good and you can track the item.

It has to be well wrapped mind - couriers and sorting office staff will throw the parcel :yes:

....... The best way is to separate the action and stock to shorten the package. Then wrap both really well - bubble wrap is good because it weighs feck all and takes impacts well.

Lastly, thick cardboard and shit loads of sellotape.

Also, lie through your teeth about what's in the parcel - people get really twitchy when they hear the word 'gun'

........ I've just sent Jimmy a tent :whistling:

• Haha 3

I thought PayPal does not cover guns/gun parts ? Once these parts are mentioned they don't want to know ? Best bet is to find a member on here who lives near him and get them to go and check out gun and then pick it up for you if it's ok . Too many people been stung on Freeads etc .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, MickC said:

I thought PayPal does not cover guns/gun parts ? Once these parts are mentioned they don't want to know ? Best bet is to find a member on here who lives near him and get them to go and check out gun and then pick it up for you if it's ok . Too many people been stung on Freeads etc .

Lot of dick heads on there as well

just been offer,d £120 for the tx200 and they want it posted for that as well

told him i would cut it up with a stil saw before i sold it for that

atvbjimmy:thumbs:

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Lot of dick heads on there as well

just been offer,d £120 for the tx200 and they want it posted for that as well

told him i would cut it up with a stil saw before i sold it for that

atvbjimmy:thumbs:

Cheeky b*****ds :o

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Rez said:

Best thing would be through PayPal mate. He won’t want to do that though as any disagreements, faulty rifle, not as described etc etc PayPal generally goes the buyers side. But ask him definatly. PayPal bascailly works as a holding account if you know what I mean, not as simple as that like but it’s the best and safest (if there is a safe way to send money to someone you’ve never met) way.

Paypal does not cover any form of firearms including airguns 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, villaman said:

RFD to RFD would be the best way  but it will cost about £50 

Yes Mitch, got to agree with you mate. :good:

It is " far easier" to search out the rifle you want surfing the RFD`s and having to pay that extra £50 quid and being safe and un screwed.

The  private sale guy I`m trying to buy the rifle from has not answered me back since mentioning pay pal and my youngest son being very experienced in this type of sales .

We`ll see