FAC Inbound, time to shop

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks guys, the FAC and SGC was on my doormat when I got home, was granted everything I wanted ?

So, unfortunately my FAC/SGC was not on the doormat when I got back ffs, so the wait continues, however, today I ordered a rifle which I can obviously only pick up once the paperwork has arrived.

Man cannot beat the elements only do his best to work around what happens on the day,as Nathan says getting closer the old man v beast is all part of the challenge .And as Philpot says we will never b

Posted Images

surely the question is do you want whisper quiet or bang! Or put another way, do you want the chance of two/three bunnies or watch loads of em running for cover before they come back out in an hours time?

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:34, Rimfireboy! said:

Anschutz XIV is the best sporting .22 I’ve had/used. Fantastic little rifle that I wouldn’t swap. As for hmr, it depends what you need, but for me, I’d have the .22 any day over the hmr. You can run them from 20ft lbs up to nearly 200 ft lbs depending on cartridge. Hmr is a one trick pony compared to .22 rf. as I said though, it depends what want/need. Just my opinion, others may disagree.

I get what you are saying about the HMR being a one trick pony, but that one trick is above anything a .22lr can do, so it has a place. :thumbs:

1 hour ago, Deker said:

I get what you are saying about the HMR being a one trick pony, but that one trick is above anything a .22lr can do, so it has a place. :thumbs:

It has more range, I agree, but it’s always noisy, it’s often too powerful, which makes it less versatile in my view. It does have its place though, that’s true. You can’t really vary it’s performance for any given situation like you often can with a .22 rimfire. Hmr is good at what it does, but that’s just what it does, it can’t vary. I’ve had one for years but I find .22 rimfire better suited to more varied situations. Just my opinion, my requirements from a rifle. If I need more, I usually reach for the hornet. Sometimes however, hmr is just the ticket.?

The .22lr, HMR and WMR are different!  Of course there are some areas of moderate crossover and without doubt the .22lr is the most versatile of the 3, but the HMR does things the .22LR can't, no HV .22lr round can match the HMR for speed or accuracy.

WMR is also a great calibre but Subs are as hard to find as Rocking Horse doings and the VERY heavy WMR are like falling off a cliff, but they tend to hit quite hard.

I have 2 x .22LR, HMR and WMR and I need them all.

.22lr is Winchester subs, HMR is Hornady 17g V-Max and WMR is 30g Hornady V-Max, after that I move to the centrefires.   Very rarely these days do I find the need to change any of that ammo selection.

Let nobody believe you can match a HMR with any .22lr ammo and neither can you match the HMR accuracy with any WMR, but you can't get a HMR as quiet as a .22lr and a WMR hits harder than a HMR and so it goes on.......   I am not for one minute suggestion any of these are better than the other, they are different, some people may not need the differences and not many will need a .22lr, HMR and WMR, but its my business and I do.  They are ALL the best at doing what I need them to do! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find this really interesting bunch of posts.

I looked at some info from Hawke scopes the other day regarding speed of various ammo which was quite handy to know.

.22LR subs = 1057fps

.22LR HV    = 1260fps

.17HMR      = 2500fps

.22WMR     =2000fps

So from that I see that .22LR subs and HV are not much different in terms of speed although I am not sure if 203fps will make any real difference other than HV being louder.

What I am really trying to get my head around is the real difference between HMR and WMR. There is a 500fps speed advantage with HMR but affected by side wind far more than WMR. The WMR is a little lower recoil (I am told) with a better range of ammo offering ammo for different situations which has an appeal, such as hollow point and does less damage to rabbits at the same distance as a shot from an HMR (I am told).

My thoughts are leaning towards the WMR although I am not certain what Deker means regarding WMR weight. Could you please just explain a little further, I assume you are saying the WMR is much heavier than an HMR .................. I think.

Quote:- WMR is also a great calibre but Subs are as hard to find as Rocking Horse doings and the VERY heavy WMR are like falling off a cliff, but they tend to hit quite hard.

Sorry Andy, your post has been hijacked a little but hopefully you will also find the comments of interest. 

Phil

• Like 1

My CZ452 HMR with its 16 inch varmint barrel is a heavy bit of kit to carry round a field, but shooting off a bipod, it is still as accurate as ever. Ok, I had to do the trigger and rub down the stock to clear the barrel, but a dozen years on It continues to knock down those long range bunnies. The field I was shooting last evening has rabbits along the far fence a hundred yards plus away. Just entering the gate had them on the run.Two stopped at the fence long enough to get them both with a quick working of the bolt. They would have been long gone, if I had tried to get in range with my .22lr, even with HV rounds. Both rabbits were dead when they hit the ground, the Hornady .17 passing through the head on one and the chest on the other, leaving exit wounds that nothing can walk away from. Later on I took another pair side by side at 120 yards. At that range they don't hear the bang. They just fall over. Get a CZ. Even a second hand 452 won't let you down.

My blog: http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/cz-452-varmint-hmr-accuracy-reward/

Edited by kenj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, philpot said:

I find this really interesting bunch of posts.

I looked at some info from Hawke scopes the other day regarding speed of various ammo which was quite handy to know.

.22LR subs = 1057fps

.22LR HV    = 1260fps

.17HMR      = 2500fps

.22WMR     =2000fps

So from that I see that .22LR subs and HV are not much different in terms of speed although I am not sure if 203fps will make any real difference other than HV being louder.

What I am really trying to get my head around is the real difference between HMR and WMR. There is a 500fps speed advantage with HMR but affected by side wind far more than WMR. The WMR is a little lower recoil (I am told) with a better range of ammo offering ammo for different situations which has an appeal, such as hollow point and does less damage to rabbits at the same distance as a shot from an HMR (I am told).

My thoughts are leaning towards the WMR although I am not certain what Deker means regarding WMR weight. Could you please just explain a little further, I assume you are saying the WMR is much heavier than an HMR .................. I think.

Quote:- WMR is also a great calibre but Subs are as hard to find as Rocking Horse doings and the VERY heavy WMR are like falling off a cliff, but they tend to hit quite hard.

Sorry Andy, your post has been hijacked a little but hopefully you will also find the comments of interest. 

Phil

Don't apologise, some very interesting points here, I'm a noob when it comes to rim/centrefire rifles so all this information and the opinions are great. I have put a slot for a .17 hmr down for a bit longer range when required so I am very interested in people's opinions of it, I'd never considered .22 WMR. Please continue ?

• Like 1

Sub sonic ammo is very hard/impossible to find (if anyone does know somewhere I can find some I'd love to try it)

VERY heavy WMR was the ammo, not the rifle, there is 50g WMR ammo available, (maybe more, I think I remember seeing 60g somewhere) it hits hard but the Arc is like falling off a cliff.

Edit   Response to philpot above!

Edited by Deker
  • Thanks 1

You have limited ammo spec above, .22lr subs tend to be in the region you mention, .22lr HV goes a lot higher than 1260 (I used to use Rem Yellow jackets at 1500ft sec), HMR you are in the region, but there is a little variation, and WMR can be up to 2200 or more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Deker said:

You have limited ammo spec above, .22lr subs tend to be in the region you mention, .22lr HV goes a lot higher than 1260 (I used to use Rem Yellow jackets at 1500ft sec), HMR you are in the region, but there is a little variation, and WMR can be up to 2200 or more. 

The yellow jackets were fast, I don’t know if they’re available now though. I’ve been told nobody’s importing Remington at the moment, don’t know if it’s true though? I was offered cyclones dirt cheap,like two quid a box a couple of years ago. Haven’t seen any since. Also the c bees, hollow point like the yellow jackets ? with four slits in the truncated ogive to help them expand at low velocity. They ran about 800fps if I remember, about 40ft lb. can’t get now.?