Hill hunting lurchers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my type of work wouldn't be without one with hound blood in i think hound blood or collie blood is a must good feet good stamina good jacket but most important of all you need independence and they ne

At the back end of last season I managed to get out on the hills in various locations. I mainly lamp,  bush and try to fit in the odd bit of ferreting. I enjoy all types of work but have really taken

Great place to work dogs 

Posted Images

No other breed covers rough ground as good as a Deerhound or Deerhound cross . Ive seen a few good Collie cross out on hill over the years but best ive seen always had a bit Deerhound in the make up .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, MickC said:

No other breed covers rough ground as good as a Deerhound or Deerhound cross . Ive seen a few good Collie cross out on hill over the years but best ive seen always had a bit Deerhound in the make up .

how would their stamina compare to a collie or hound cross mick in my experience a lighter smaller dog is best suited to run all day and the larger dogs blow up quicker also seems that down here the bigger heavy dogs cant seem to turn or accelerate as quick as the smaller nimble dog on the steep banks and rocks and they seem to pick up less knocks thanks 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dabhand said:

how would their stamina compare to a collie or hound cross mick in my experience a lighter smaller dog is best suited to run all day and the larger dogs blow up quicker also seems that down here the bigger heavy dogs cant seem to turn or accelerate as quick as the smaller nimble dog on the steep banks and rocks and they seem to pick up less knocks thanks 

The stamina on these dogs were as good as anything I've seen run out on the proper hill amongst the crag/heather and what we were running the bigger dogs were more suited. The Deerhound/Deerhound cross gait seems to let them run almost effortlessly over rough ground,il be first to admit fast dogs on the flat can make a Deerhound/Deerhound cross look slow and even clumsy but get them out on the environment they are meant for and you will see a different animal and that's when they come into there own. I have never run hound cross on this type of terrain so that's why I never mentioned them but I have seen plenty of other cross ran out on the hill with us and the Deerhound/Deerhound cross always covered the ground the best. DeerhoundxBull Greyhound is a breeding what I'm looking at doing .

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, MickC said:

The stamina on these dogs were as good as anything I've seen run out on the proper hill amongst the crag/heather and what we were running the bigger dogs were more suited. The Deerhound/Deerhound cross gait seems to let them run almost effortlessly over rough ground,il be first to admit fast dogs on the flat can make a Deerhound/Deerhound cross look slow and even clumsy but get them out on the environment they are meant for and you will see a different animal and that's when they come into there own. I have never run hound cross on this type of terrain so that's why I never mentioned them but I have seen plenty of other cross ran out on the hill with us and the Deerhound/Deerhound cross always covered the ground the best. DeerhoundxBull Greyhound is a breeding what I'm looking at doing .

Don't think its size of dog it's how big dog Hart is 20tts beddy whippet an 22 tts beddy greyhound could work all day long an work hard on the hills or rough ground the two dogs are gone now 

22 minutes ago, tank34 said:

Don't think its size of dog it's how big dog Hart is 20tts beddy whippet an 22 tts beddy greyhound could work all day long an work hard on the hills or rough ground the two dogs are gone now 

I used to run a 24" Beddy/Grey out on these same hills with the Deerhound cross for years and they left him for dead. It's got nothing to do with heart how a dog covers rough ground it's the dogs breeding/genetics that enable it to run ,heart only comes into it once the dog needs to come to terms with whatever it is running . Big dogs for big jobs certainly was the  case what we were running .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, MickC said:

I used to run a 24" Beddy/Grey out on these same hills with the Deerhound cross for years and they left him for dead. It's got nothing to do with heart how a dog covers rough ground it's the dogs breeding/genetics that enable it to run ,heart only comes into it once the dog needs to come to terms with whatever it is running . Big dogs for big jobs certainly was the  case what we were running .

Yes big dogs for jobs , not into big stuff but my two was very handy for the job in hand an could work all day long on the hills moors woods on rock piles with terrier all ways give there best sometimes a bigger faster dog would of been handy 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Was out with a deerhound cross bitch 28tts with my beddy greyhound at 26tts and the deer hound cross covered the ground better in my opinion on the moors 

how did you find the bigger dog on stones and tight turns on hill northern light

4 minutes ago, white van man said:

That’s a good reason to put a similar bred dog over her!! 

Iv thought about it and if I needed to iv got a dog lined up for her , but iv only got room for two lurchers now and the gwpx pup is here and showing goods signs so probably won’t ever happen 

23 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

Iv thought about it and if I needed to iv got a dog lined up for her , but iv only got room for two lurchers now and the gwpx pup is here and showing goods signs so probably won’t ever happen 

Yeah think that cross would have suited me. Like you say , only worth breeding her if you wanted a pup back or to keep lines going. Be interesting to see how the GWP x turns out.