Hill hunting lurchers

At the back end of last season I managed to get out on the hills in various locations. I mainly lamp,  bush and try to fit in the odd bit of ferreting. I enjoy all types of work but have really taken to getting out on the hills. I see a lot less up there but really like seeing the dogs hunting and letting them range. The dogs have taken to it fairly well, especially my lurcher. He’s saluki collie grew. My busher enjoys it but won’t range too far. He’s young so will hopefully pick it up.

Im probably looking at bringing on another lurcher pup next year so want to start doing my homework.

I know the ideal would be to find a litter from 2 hill dogs doing their job. Easier said than done! 

Would be interested to see who hunts similar and what types they are using. I will be looking for something 23-25tts. The dog will also be used to lamp, bush a fair bit   So I wouldn’t want to go for anything too thick set. 

Thanks in advance.

F4E31BFB-C1D9-460E-B108-EA65CD482B2E.jpeg

315442DE-7A36-42D3-87F9-55355E3CBCA8.jpeg

Edited by white van man
  • Like 11

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my type of work wouldn't be without one with hound blood in i think hound blood or collie blood is a must good feet good stamina good jacket but most important of all you need independence and they ne

At the back end of last season I managed to get out on the hills in various locations. I mainly lamp,  bush and try to fit in the odd bit of ferreting. I enjoy all types of work but have really taken

Great place to work dogs 

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, white van man said:

At the back end of last season I managed to get out on the hills in various locations. I mainly lamp,  bush and try to fit in the odd bit of ferreting. I enjoy all types of work but have really taken to getting out on the hills. I see a lot less up there but really like seeing the dogs hunting and letting them range. The dogs have taken to it fairly well, especially my lurcher. He’s saluki collie grew. My busher enjoys it but won’t range too far. He’s young so will hopefully pick it up.

Im probably looking at bringing on another lurcher pup next year so want to start doing my homework.

I know the ideal would be to find a litter from 2 hill dogs doing their job. Easier said than done! 

Would be interested to see who hunts similar and what types they are using. I will be looking for something 23-25tts. The dog will also be used to lamp, bush a fair bit   So I wouldn’t want to go for anything too thick set. 

Thanks in advance.

Great sport my type of terrain for that type of terrain you need a dog with good feet a lurcher without good feet is useless it will also need a good coat not a thin sighthoundy coat also a dog with plenty of stamina and have a good recall and plenty of brains them hills can be dangerous places to work a dog.Regards Collie John

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, colliejohn said:

Great sport my type of terrain for that type of terrain you need a dog with good feet a lurcher without good feet is useless it will also need a good coat not a thin sighthoundy coat also a dog with plenty of stamina and have a good recall and plenty of brains them hills can be dangerous places to work a dog.Regards Collie John

Cheers CJ. Like I say the lurcher has taken to it well. He has all the above and doesn’t seem to suffer with the cold too much. I have no doubt that what I will end up with will have collie in the mix. Good ones are hard to find. ATB. 

5 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Wouldn't want anything to fine either they hills and moor can be a dangerous place  good luck in your search 

Yep agree. I spent most my life on the hills but only got back into hunting a few years back. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Deerhound greyhound?? Maybe with wippet to get the size down abit more to suit you? Be a good sort on the moor 

Think there would be too much running dog in there TBH mate. DG/CG would probably suit but I’m going to keep my options open. 

• Like 1
Just now, white van man said:

Cheers CJ. Like I say the lurcher has taken to it well. He has all the above and doesn’t seem to suffer with the cold too much. I have no doubt that what I will end up with will have collie in the mix. Good ones are hard to find. ATB. 

They are pal that's why I breed my own Andrew Edwards has some fantastic hill dog's might be worth contacting him he's the lad who does the DVD's foxing on the fells.Regards Collie John

1 minute ago, colliejohn said:

They are pal that's why I breed my own Andrew Edwards has some fantastic hill dog's might be worth contacting him he's the lad who does the DVD's foxing on the fells.Regards Collie John

Yep another lad mentioned him. Will do a bit of digging and see how I get on. Cheers. 

2 hours ago, white van man said:

Thanks in advance.

Sent you a pm geth ?

my type of work wouldn't be without one with hound blood in i think hound blood or collie blood is a must good feet good stamina good jacket but most important of all you need independence and they need to be willing to search for hours sometimes not seeing or finding a thing for a few days on the bounce

IMG_20180324_100040.jpg

IMG_20180324_105236.jpg

IMG_20180116_133337.jpg

IMG_20171111_121304.jpg

• Like 12
32 minutes ago, Dabhand said:

my type of work wouldn't be without one with hound blood in i think hound blood or collie blood is a must good feet good stamina good jacket but most important of all you need independence and they need to be willing to search for hours sometimes not seeing or finding a thing for a few days on the bounce

IMG_20180324_100040.jpg

IMG_20180324_105236.jpg

IMG_20180116_133337.jpg

IMG_20171111_121304.jpg

Great pics. Like the look of them. The ground you are on is similar the ground I will be hunting on.