Lurcher hunts on - sound / vibrate collars for recall

Saluki / collie / greyhound type that has got worse for hunting on over the winter rather than coming back after a run. She's about 2 1/2 and still quite puppy-ish and excitable but receptive to training. A little unsure in new situations but generally confident and a bright sort that works things out quickly. I bought a sportdog radio and gps collar because the hunting on was getting a right ballache and it at least enabled me to find her and get in the same field to call her back.

As I understand it (will check with the sellers), you can add components to the collar that will vibrate / make a sound / electric shock. Before anyone says it,  I have no intention of using the electric shock because I'm not trying to administer a shock to break a behaviour, don't even want the component on the collar. I just want to try using the sound and vibration as a prompt to recall at a distance - she has ended up a mile away before on the gps, too far for whistle or shouting. I guess training routine would be start close by, vibrate collar > reward recall > let her go out again, increase distances and introduce the routine in situations with game around as recall becomes established.

I've read about the collars being used like this for recall in the US with trail hounds, wanted to ask if anyone had seen it done this way with lurchers?

Edited by Caravan Monster

I've trained a dog to come back with a  beep on an electric collar- certainly came in handy a few times before GPS- but i wouldn't think it would stop your dog from hunting good scent. Sounds a handy lurcher if only you wanted it to hunt lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got 1 from Pac dog for me terrier she was a nightmare tried everything in the end was going to pts at me wits end 

Anyroad got the coller was a different dog within a week best thing I ever bought  this was the most head strong dog out would f**k off for hours or half a day if they work on her should work on ote

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, ands said:

I've trained a dog to come back with a  beep on an electric collar- certainly came in handy a few times before GPS- but i wouldn't think it would stop your dog from hunting good scent. Sounds a handy lurcher if only you wanted it to hunt lol.

Not owned many lurchers over the years, but she is the best ability wise by some margin. Unfortunately my part of the world has a lot of major roads and unenlightened people around so we can't be off following scents for hours. You can get a fair idea what's going on from the gps, so I wouldn't sound the collar when the arrow is flashing around the screen :whistling:

Black neck was that an electric or vibration / sound collar with the terrier?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

Not owned many lurchers over the years, but she is the best ability wise by some margin. Unfortunately my part of the world has a lot of major roads and unenlightened people around so we can't be off following scents for hours. You can get a fair idea what's going on from the gps, so I wouldn't sound the collar when the arrow is flashing around the screen :whistling:

Black neck was that an electric or vibration / sound collar with the terrier?

Both mate with a real stubborn b*****d I used the tens setting then the vibrate  still put the coller on now if were out bushing but rairly use it and never use the pulse