Australia To Ban Cash Purchases Over $10,000

Australia's government has announced that in July 2019 it will ban the use of cash on all purchases over $10,000. The move is to "encourage the move to a digital society" and "to cut down on tax evasion." 

Streamlining of commerce and security or has the debit card finally become the ultimate surveillance tool?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mackem said:

Cash is king,havent had a debit card for a while,never had a credit card,always good to have cash in your sky rocket.

We have a couple of local merchants that will accept old silver coins as payment. If you choose to pay that way they'll adjust the prices on the current market value of the coins you use.

• Like 2

I see no problem for the Super Rich,  if in doubt just try saying only paying this amount to the Tax Man next time.  More than likely to try and stop putting drugs money back into legal circulation in my opinion.

All the very best

1 minute ago, just-A-snap said:

I see no problem for the Super Rich,  if in doubt just try saying only paying this amount to the Tax Man next time.  More than likely to try and stop putting drugs money back into legal circulation in my opinion.

All the very best

Fair comment JAS. The US system is that business has to report the transaction to the revenue service. Not ban it outright. It shouldn't be anyone's concern what currency is used to conduct private matters least of all central government. There are much more effective ways of preventing money laundering than punishing everyone at the same time. Introducing a system that monitors every single transaction over an arbitrary amount is an invasion of privacy.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Invasion of privacy

Totally agree, but it is only just one thing extra on top of all that is used to keep track on us.  Even this replay is more than likely being saved  somewhere for later sifting.  Your internet provider can only operate with Government say so and consent same with the phones and like.  I live in London, not sure if I can walk  a few hundred yards without being on some camera at some point.

All the very best

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, just-A-snap said:

Totally agree, but it is only just one thing extra on top of all that is used to keep track on us.  Even this replay is more than likely being saved  somewhere for later sifting.  Your internet provider can only operate with Government say so and consent same with the phones and like.  I live in London, not sure if I can walk  a few hundred yards without being on some camera at some point.

All the very best

That's fair enough JAS. I live in a town of 600 people. There isn't a surveillance camera within 30 miles. I can, if I choose, avoid that level of recording by sticking to local businesses and using cash for all transactions but like everyone else I participate in society and accept that comes with reduced rights in certain areas.

The point is that it isn't acceptable to intrude on one's daily journey no matter how common it is. This push for 100%digital trades privacy for convenience and while many will embrace the technology many more won't. The Aussies are using $300m to implement this system and it's expected to rake in $3bn in unpaid revenue. We all know that the only thing this system will do is cost money and record the private business dealings of the law-abiding individual.

Correct again, I am not one of those that welcome most of today's technology.  I do not even text or want to understand the non English used.  I talk with a good old London accent. and do not want to be someone else as most today want to be in my opinion.  The problem is that it is their world now, political correctness, the pursuit of pleasure all the minutes one is awake .  The less they have to do the better they see it as.  It is all part of the One World S**t they have swallowed, hook line sinker.  If more say that it begins with an F and ends with an Off they will run and hide.  Just my opinion that is.

A lazy world full of lazy, use any word you like.

All the very best

Edited by just-A-snap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2