Could someone please tell me what the main difference is between cockers and springers please ? Ive a soft spot for cockers but alot of lads ive spoken too say go with the springer. And has anyone seen a spaniel that can be worked nicely on a shoot but also worked freely alongside lurchers ? 

I don't think it's easy to tell until you have worked closely with both. In terms of temperament, Cockers are soft as shit, they are very endearing little dogs away from the field, often wanting to be in contact with you. This can make them a bit sensitive to heavy handed handling though, they benefit from a handler that likes to bond with their dogs. Springers tend to have a 'hardier' nature, they are the dog for a handler that wants a simple working spaniel exclusively to do the job.

From a working perspective each breed in the hands of a suitable owner are probably on par with each other. Springers might have a bit more stamina... might, but both are easily capable of a days work, say 10 miles of rough shooting. A 26-30lb Cocker takes up less space on a bike, in a box, in the truck etc than a 40lb+ Spinger. I like smaller dogs so I see that as a plus. Cockers are said to use their heads and nose more when working whereas a Springer will smash cover whether there is scent or not, that can be seen as a positive by some handlers who believe they know better than their dog I guess. Historically Cockers are said to have better noses but I'm not sure I would claim that is a fact. I'd maybe say Cockers have shorter coats but I've seen a few Springers with piss-thin Whippety coats and some Cockers that look like bears so again, not sure I'd consider that fact. I think that has more to do with trial breeding, than the actual breed. Some might claim that Cockers have a bit more gun sense too but imo any dog that gets shot over enough develops plenty enough gun sense for me. Springers size make carrying hares or geese less problematic. A Cockers size makes running rabbit runs through thick bramble easier.

In truth, there ain't a great deal of difference to the average handler. Both hunt like f**k, both are natural retrievers, both are very trainable, both are naturals in water. As far as I'm concerned they're just big and small spaniels.

• Like 7
18 minutes ago, C.green said:

Cheers for that fella. Choice was sort of made for me in the end got myself a small springer bitch early days yet but well see how it goes. 

I think Springers are probably slightly better value for money. Cockers are fetching mad price.

I'm sure you'll be happy enough. They're real easy dogs to live with in whatever capacity generally, make a nice change to lurchers and terriers that are always trying to get you in bother on walks. ? 

Cocker, Springer, Sprocker whatever they're all spaniels that love to work and have strong working ancestry. I'd consider any of the above when after my next gundog, actively or opportunistically, such is their similarity really. Definitely got a preference to a strong Cocker type mind. Plenty of 'Springers' that are Cocker-like and vice versa, which perhaps tells you something about the honesty of their breeding... lol.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haha id say this springers cocker like but i do like some of the small strong cockers you see about cracking little animals. Next time round ill deffo be looking for a well bread strong cocker but i had the opportunity to try this small springer n so far so good nice little animal to have about less stressful than the lurchers thats for sure easy to enjoy a nice evening walk with.

1 hour ago, C.green said:

Does using them alongside lurchers affect the gun work ?

She was never trained to work with the gun mate she is the wife's pot licker but she is a handy little busher ......

1 hour ago, C.green said:

Does using them alongside lurchers affect the gun work ?

They know the score after a few trips out.   My last one hunted close when I;the beating line but hunted alongside the lurchers when out mooching