GOOD COLLIE X GREY'S THIN ON THE GROUND IT SEEMS.

I'm rather partial to a good drop of collie blood. The reason for using collie in a lurcher falls into two camps. First, to turbo charge the collie and secondly to add engine management to a sighthound. If you fall in the first camp, then a half cross (or there abouts) is a fine creature to work with.If its the second case, then most working breeds will surfice in adding that bit extra to a running dog. If your not going to use the key attributes of a collie AND can get on with their nature, better crosses are out there. JMO

• Like 5

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an aside,...having been a member of this unique, hunting men's website, for several years,...I would have to congratulate Collie John for his sheer consistency... I fecking hate, users, and ab

you think they were brothers  , wouldn't you !!   Bryn  1x colle x grey , he was  bred   greyhound  dam . sire working farm collie . he be about   3  here , he  11  this sep  , and still fit for his a

Your right Japs , goodun's are few and far between I'm hoping to get a pup by my line bred collie x dog, in the not too distant future. I'm sure a pup by him would suit your needs if you don

Posted Images

On 12 May 2018 at 22:50, trenchfoot said:

I'm rather partial to a good drop of collie blood. The reason for using collie in a lurcher falls into two camps. First, to turbo charge the collie and secondly to add engine management to a sighthound. If you fall in the first camp, then a half cross (or there abouts) is a fine creature to work with.If its the second case, then most working breeds will surfice in adding that bit extra to a running dog. If your not going to use the key attributes of a collie AND can get on with their nature, better crosses are out there. JMO

I go with this post to some degree ,but what's a good drop of collie blood ,what can a reverse do better than a half or generation bred collie xs.i believe at times. To much of a thing can be for the worse. We all like ta think that adding the etc bit of what we looking for his for the best. But this ain't allways the case . I believe keeping to reliability and adding the strengths to the. Weaknesses in a breeding begets better chances of good jukels .i would much prefer a heavy generation f1 than a reverse collie xs  you at least stand a chance of a  getting a bit more pace with out going to s back to hound  and adversity one may achieve quicker solving problem thinkers  with our going back to a collie, this. Actually his comonsence and how nature works .it's has near ta evolution has man may get ..the thing his with all f1 generation breeding lots of the welps are destined to fail has jukels for modern  handlers of the younger generation..atb bunnys

This dog was 1st x collie/greyhound X saluki/greyhound,bought in 1984 in nottingham at a game fair..his grandsire was Merle ,Plummers dog...he was one of the best if not the best ive ever had,he took very decent bags of rabbits night after night when the conditions were in.retrieved pheasant like a gun dog and every rabbit alive to hand..he took many fox single handed and was an all round great dog...i believe the mix of saluki was highly beneficial to his make up,long nights of graft with 40 plus rabbits at the time were not uncommon..i was very proud of that dog i must say

Screenshot_20180513-074120.png

• Like 8
9 hours ago, billhardy said:

I go with this post to some degree ,but what's a good drop of collie blood ,what can a reverse do better than a half or generation bred collie xs.i believe at times. To much of a thing can be for the worse. We all like ta think that adding the etc bit of what we looking for his for the best. But this ain't allways the case . I believe keeping to reliability and adding the strengths to the. Weaknesses in a breeding begets better chances of good jukels .i would much prefer a heavy generation f1 than a reverse collie xs  you at least stand a chance of a  getting a bit more pace with out going to s back to hound  and adversity one may achieve quicker solving problem thinkers  with our going back to a collie, this. Actually his comonsence and how nature works .it's has near ta evolution has man may get ..the thing his with all f1 generation breeding lots of the welps are destined to fail has jukels for modern  handlers of the younger generation..atb bunnys

I like first crosses but I prefer collie greyhound to collie greyhound bred over several generations the throw more true to type and there's never no need to go back to a greyhound Billhardy I like Reverse Threequarters I like their qualities has a mooching/ rabbiting dogs that's what their bred for I'm not interested in any other quarry I don't currently own one Dan who's pic is on page 4 of this post is out of my late bitch Gwen who was 9/16,s collie 7/16,s greyhound put to Ian Clayton's Dan who is a reverse threequarter making my dog abit more collie in him than a 5/8,s collie 3/8,s greyhound he's going back to my collie when I breed her. Regards Collie John

On 13 May 2018 at 09:06, colliejohn said:

I like first crosses but I prefer collie greyhound to collie greyhound bred over several generations the throw more true to type and there's never no need to go back to a greyhound Billhardy I like Reverse Threequarters I like their qualities has a mooching/ rabbiting dogs that's what their bred for I'm not interested in any other quarry I don't currently own one Dan who's pic is on page 4 of this post is out of my late bitch Gwen who was 9/16,s collie 7/16,s greyhound put to Ian Clayton's Dan who is a reverse threequarter making my dog abit more collie in him than a 5/8,s collie 3/8,s greyhound he's going back to my collie when I breed her. Regards Collie John

On 13 May 2018 at 09:06, colliejohn said:

Like I says collie John we all know there's no need ta go back ta a grey my Alsatian xs like your gwen around that mix. I don't condone the mix I heavy type cut bre jukels those are my type but with alsation .different mindset.but I do know fa net type jukels fa boaters thecolle nonpeds will be just has proficient has the collie xs and better in lots a cases Bill hardy and bunnys are one of a kind but that's no secret only one account used the other lost hence Some see me has Bill others has bunnys no big thing one keeps and pleases what they wish there prerogative but those inexperienced type thinking of the collie grey reverse etc need to know there weaknesses  before they become embroiled in a jukel that will not suffice with most keepers of  that type in modern day hunting. I feel like the old type keepers of jukels we a dying breed ,but there's a  very good reason for this and that's called evolution the majority of handlers relatively new to lurchers  are in a different perspective and don't need a collie with maybe abit more pace than a straight collie . These collie whips  will out perform them and so will working whips fa the rabbiting job round holes  they can do know more or less than a light Welsh hill collie of around twenty inches..here go atb bunnys atb Bill 

On 13 May 2018 at 07:51, jigsaw said:

This dog was 1st x collie/greyhound X saluki/greyhound,bought in 1984 in nottingham at a game fair..his grandsire was Merle ,Plummers dog...he was one of the best if not the best ive ever had,he took very decent bags of rabbits night after night when the conditions were in.retrieved pheasant like a gun dog and every rabbit alive to hand..he took many fox single handed and was an all round great dog...i believe the mix of saluki was highly beneficial to his make up,long nights of graft with 40 plus rabbits at the time were not uncommon..i was very proud of that dog i must say

Screenshot_20180513-074120.png

He a nice animal jigsaw  I also believe the saluki with the herding blood gives a very diferent animal .we had them collie greys back saluki greys also Alsatian greys back to saluki greys .they can do all has you know that any collie type can plus ton more and can take the abuse of work in there stride it's difficult foursome to comprehend the desert blood even just a drop , I can only think that some  Cana see it for what it his breed blindness his far and always worse than kennel blindness .ne again nice animal good xs atb bunnys

3 minutes ago, billhardy said:

Like I says collie John we all know there's no need ta go back ta a grey my Alsatian xs like your gwen around that mix. I don't condone the mix I heavy type cut bre jukels those are my type but with alsation .different mindset.but I do know fa net type jukels fa boaters thecolle nonpeds will be just has proficient has the collie xs and better in lots a cases Bill hardy and bunnys are one of a kind but that's no secret only one account used the other lost hence Some see me has Bill others has bunnys no big thing one keeps and pleases what they wish there prerogative but those inexperienced type thinking of the collie grey reverse etc need to know there weaknesses  before they become embroiled in a jukel that will not suffice with most keepers of  that type in modern day hunting. I feel like the old type keepers of jukels we a dying breed ,but there's a  very good reason for this and that's called evolution the majority of handlers relatively new to lurchers  are in a different perspective and don't need a collie with maybe abit more pace than a straight collie . These collie whips  will out perform them and so will working whips fa the rabbiting job round holes  they can do know more or less than a light Welsh hill collie of around twenty inches..here go atb bunnys atb Bill 

Bill I don't look at it has evolution hunting has gone backwards to many do gooders modern technology ie camera phones CCTV and stupid laws have ruined the lurched game alot of lads especially the coursing lads have thrown the towel in its just not worth all the agro I feel sorry for the younguns coming into the lurcher game today the halcyon days of our sport are behind us alot of young lads are misguided about dogs and quarry and go down the wrong road which is a shame the lurcher game is f****d the type of dogs people will keep in time will change to more mooching types unless you want to keep a dog for the show scene lol.Regards Collie John

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, colliejohn said:

Bill I don't look at it has evolution hunting has gone backwards to many do gooders modern technology ie camera phones CCTV and stupid laws have ruined the lurched game alot of lads especially the coursing lads have thrown the towel in its just not worth all the agro I feel sorry for the younguns coming into the lurcher game today the halcyon days of our sport are behind us alot of young lads are misguided about dogs and quarry and go down the wrong road which is a shame the lurcher game is f****d the type of dogs people will keep in time will change to more mooching types unless you want to keep a dog for the show scene lol.Regards Collie John

as an owner of coursing dogs for almost 50 years,  i know very little about colly crosses,  your next litter if I understand you right will be less than 1/8 greyhound why do this,  a genuine question mate,  atb two crows.

2 minutes ago, two crows said:

as an owner of coursing dogs for almost 50 years,  i know very little about colly crosses,  your next litter if I understand you right will be less than 1/8 greyhound why do this,  a genuine question mate,  atb two crows.

Because they suit me and my type of hunting I don't want or require a speed machine and I'm not a fan of sighthound saturated dogs with the type of dog I keep you've got a ideal baseline to work and breed off alot of collie greyhounds being bred today are no more than collie marked greyhounds that have poor coats feet no bone and fine greyhoundy heads on them they're not for me. Regards Collie John