I got some .445" balls the other week and have been itching to try them in my smoothrifle.

A .440" rolls down the barrel. The .445" need a push.

The first rabbit was not very photogenic!

I was only low by an inch plus but it was enough to wreck the front end! The back end was fine though.

I switched to shot soon after satisfying myself the .445" ball was a good thing!

The next bunny was a sitter at 25yards with fine shot.

Check the size of gut!!

IMG_20180509_152355.jpg

Loading shot again soon after we were part of a dispute, a dispute between rabbits, one of which run out of a hedge in front of Jess and I. It turned and run, feet skidding on the loose earth I raised that long gun and fired. The rabbit disappeared in a cloud of smoke and dust. The pattern was spot on.

IMG_20180509_155255.jpg

U.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, sussex said:

Might be worth whacking a .445 at the internet box U , should stop any more problems ...?

Don't tempt me.

I am dumping BT and openreach soon. They are to big to care for small fry on old copper lines at a dead end lane!

Switching to mobile network.

U.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Underdog said:

Don't tempt me.

I am dumping BT and openreach soon. They are to big to care for small fry on old copper lines at a dead end lane!

Switching to mobile network.

U.

Got the same problem U , drives me mad ..

• Like 1

Underdog it’s good you do these posts, I have always had a fascination, with black powder guns, and did once try one which my brother still has I believe, I also tried a Kentucky style long rifle, owned by a friend back in the late 80’s I must say I could not hit a bloody thing with ball, beyond 20 paces, and that was a 45 gallon drum, but the shotgun I enjoyed, it’s good to see someone hunting with them,

• Thanks 1

Darren, get a patched ball rifle shooting and it is a very accurate rifle. I had a patched ball rifle years ago and rabbits and fox's fell to it, some beyond 100yds.

New barrels need breaking in, often new barrels cut the patch which is no good.

The correct lube for a given rifle is vital too.

Some need a backing was or firewall to stop the patch being burnt.

Look at the shot patch, any holes or tares and accuracy will be sub standard.

If the patch looks like it could be used again then all is good, just got to mess with charge weights.

Another thing is that the nipple drum or bolster must not be touching the side plate of the lock, that will also ruin accuracy potential.

I just use smooth bores now and have ball loads on hand should I need them.

I honestly don't know why it's not more popular in the field as it is so much fun.

U.

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Darren, get a patched ball rifle shooting and it is a very accurate rifle. I had a patched ball rifle years ago and rabbits and fox's fell to it, some beyond 100yds.

New barrels need breaking in, often new barrels cut the patch which is no good.

The correct lube for a given rifle is vital too.

Some need a backing was or firewall to stop the patch being burnt.

Look at the shot patch, any holes or tares and accuracy will be sub standard.

If the patch looks like it could be used again then all is good, just got to mess with charge weights.

Another thing is that the nipple drum or bolster must not be touching the side plate of the lock, that will also ruin accuracy potential.

I just use smooth bores now and have ball loads on hand should I need them.

I honestly don't know why it's not more popular in the field as it is so much fun.

U.

How does that stand with the firearms ticket being black powder and ball then, is it on ticket or not being smooth bore, sorry for sounding thick, I know the shotgun would be ok, just the ticket for black powder required, the one I fired with ball belonged a friend, who had firearms ticket, so always assumed it would be required, 

29 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

How does that stand with the firearms ticket being black powder and ball then, is it on ticket or not being smooth bore, sorry for sounding thick, I know the shotgun would be ok, just the ticket for black powder required, the one I fired with ball belonged a friend, who had firearms ticket, so always assumed it would be required, 

For a rifle yes, section 1 firearms licence.

Mine are smooth bores so on section 2 shotgun licence.

The shooting of a single projectile from a smoothbore is only restricted in law for loaded ammunition or cartridges.

As a muzzleloader  smoothbore does not use cartridges it is exempt from those restrictions.

U.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Underdog said:

For a rifle yes, section 1 firearms licence.

Mine are smooth bores so on section 2 shotgun licence.

The shooting of a single projectile from a smoothbore is only restricted in law for loaded ammunition or cartridges.

As a muzzleloader  smoothbore does not use cartridges it is exempt from those restrictions.

U.

Thankyou for that, it’s good to learn, that makes sense,