Bedlington stud dog Yorkshire

I don’t think a terrier that starts as a bayer is necessarily going to be a bayer all it’s life and not get bitten. With some it’s a confidence thing, they’re a bit standoffish at first but once they get that confidence going and get in the routine that they’re getting dug to and realise that the fox isn’t going to hurt them as much as they expected, then some can get a real love for it and will become harder over time and in some cases get a knack of killing them.

• Like 4

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So after all the debates and discussions i did get a stud dog for my bitch........she had the pups yesterday 4 x dogs 2 x bitches all doing really well including my bitch who has done herself proud wi

sire is the blue dog and dam is choc bitch shite pic il see if i can get a better one

Posted Images

Had a bitch years ago that killed every fox. She was put to bar 2.this happened one morning while we were out and met a man with lurchers who told us he had ran 2 fox to ground in an earth we knew very we'll. We drove the 10 minutes to it and collered up the bitch and away she went.I was a bit wary as the earth seemed we'll pulled out so thought it might HD a different animal. We got a mark on the bitch and I could clearly hear her baying away something I had not heard her do before on fox.we broke through to her fairly qui k as it wasn't deep and she had  2 fox in front of her in 2 different pockets one to the left one to the right and she in the middle sparring with both but would not take hold of either right until one made a bolt for it then she was in to it.that was the first and last time I ever heard her bay on fox and before we broke through I would have bet my life on it we were digging something else but we weren't. I have no experience with rocks but do admire those that work them but not for me or the type of dogs I keep I'll stick to earths what I'm used to. I would imagine a leggyish type terrier of lean build would be the type to use but again I wouldn't know.

• Like 3

i've only ever owned one terrier that had the knack of killing and killing quickly , and she did it in soil, peat holes bales and rock , it was in a rock pile i first saw her do it and she would fairly often and if possible draw out the dead 

• Like 2

Same mate .The soil location or other type of habitat doesn’t seem to matter with a regular fox killer ,that’s what they live for .

Years ago now with the bitch I have in mind, we were running dogs through old cable ducts on a deserted Air Force camp near me ,now built on .The foxes would bolt from some impossible tight place if they could get away ,couple of missing bricks in a wall or a lifted floor board and often jump out of broken glass in windows to freedom .The ducts ran between building and had concrete slab tops . Some of these ducts however went nowhere to dead ends possibly to buildings never built .

The bitch corned a fox in one of these dead ends and we lifted the slabs a bit back to watch her at work with a torch .She was screaming as she always did ,charging the fox repeatedly with her head to one side until foxy made the mistake she been waiting for and she got a throat hold .First time I’d seen it and first time I got to see how long it actually takes ,longer than I pictured that’s for sure .

Second time was in a pile of old slabs dumped outside a concrete works .We ran one in as soon as we arrived to the spot .Tried one of my older bitches first that found the fox and made hell of a racket trying to get to it .We we’re surprised it never bolted being in so easy a place to get away from but the fox it turned out was striking at the dog between two large broken bits but with its back to an earth bank .We moved enough to see this unfold and lifted the bitch expect a bolt but foxy was having none of it and merely shrank as they do into a corner .A younger dog was unboxed that flew in screaming and as soon as foxy came forward he grabbed the top jaw and just pulled .When he’d got it drawn half out the grip changed to the throat amid a bit of tussling and again we watched until game over .That was his switch and he killed everything he went to after that .

Two styles that I’m sure others have witnessed and why I’m dubious to hear of baying types doing it without changing their style .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 06/02/2019 at 22:13, foxdropper said:

Whilst fox killing is not that difficult for a terrier that finds the knack I’m struggling to see how a baying type would ever get the chance to find out .ive owned my share of dispatchers and each and everyone started off their careers a bit on the reckless side .Might be different with other types but that’s my experience .Killing the fox is one thing but staying with it to be dug to also requires a certain type ,those with 100% commitment I’ve found .Ive only owned one that killed a fox then walked .Ive never worked rocks and I’m glad we don’t have any here ,frighten me to death tbh but to say your dog has killed a fox that can’t be found ,will never be found seems a bit foolhardy and silly but what do I know .

There are lads that breed the beddy for digging and to me thats worth preserving the type .

I know a Beddy dog thats been dug to over 60 times,an out and out baying terrier that rarely gets bit,id use that dog before an awful lot of others on the right bitch.That dog suits the location it works in,around here they need to bay and bolt,or make contact and finish a reluctant fox.Again certain spots you throw a terrier in its impossible to dig.The Bedlington was bred to work in undiggable places,what would be the point in breeding one type of working terrier?.Its always been the case that some want a digging dog,some a bolter and many a bit of both or two of each.

This is where we might once again differ Mort .An out and out bayer that rarely gets bit but can kill a fox if it doesn’t bolt .I d sincerely like to see that animal and the fox it’s accounted for .Invite me out mate ,a sincere offer with no preconceptions .

You would be wise to use that dog over your stock mate ,they are like hens teeth  .

• Like 1

We once had a dog that couldn't kill a fox in a earth...she was a mixer with them but put her in a rockpile she could kill them  in quick time if they couldn't bolt... she was bred out of two digging dogs to.. lives up to the age of 15 in till she drank antifreeze out of a mucky puddle from a tip while ratting...we had one pup out of the old girl who was too hard for her own good .. bitch was killed in a pile at cowling at 7 years old.. 

5 hours ago, foxdropper said:

This is where we might once again differ Mort .An out and out bayer that rarely gets bit but can kill a fox if it doesn’t bolt .I d sincerely like to see that animal and the fox it’s accounted for .Invite me out mate ,a sincere offer with no preconceptions .

You would be wise to use that dog over your stock mate ,they are like hens teeth  .

You read and either fail to understand ,or wish not to.You read a few posts and get them all mixed up and out of context,i never stated that dog killed his fox,you did.That dog is closely related to the father to most of mine,which i still own,as mine are,nt worth breeding from why would a dog heavily related to them be any different?.

the dog in my avater would kill foxes for fun he had a knack of breaking there bottom jaw and ripping there throats out he wasnt everbodys cup of tea as he was a nasty b***%*d but i liked him and he done me well died to ground in the end , ive a dog here now real gently sort of dog but show him a fox and its a dead fox , we were in Wiltshire yesterday doing a bit of ratting had 143 rats then ended up digging as dog had gone to ground ended up with 4 from 2 digs tidy day in the end  

• Like 6