Bedlington stud dog Yorkshire

4 minutes ago, justdigit said:

how’s the lurcher doing I liked the mother to them pups. Have you got your terriers out off that litter started yet or are they not ready yet 

One of the terriers is possibly the most useful,for its age,that ive had the very good fortune to own,the other is a poor busher and would be better worked off a leash.My lads Wheaten lurcher  hunts and marks with an older dogs aptitude,she,s lacks a yard of pace for what id like and was a tad slow at entering at the start of the season,she is far more committed now and is becoming a valued part of his team.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So after all the debates and discussions i did get a stud dog for my bitch........she had the pups yesterday 4 x dogs 2 x bitches all doing really well including my bitch who has done herself proud wi

sire is the blue dog and dam is choc bitch shite pic il see if i can get a better one

Posted Images

23 hours ago, justdigit said:

Good I’m glad your lads lurcher doing well mate. The sire to them is a hell of a hunter seen him find and take a couple on the fell this season that most lurchers would have never found. How’s the 1 you took getting on. 

Thats the one that died,had it a week,took it for its usual walk and the pups were bouncing about and full of mischief,fed them and bedded them down,in the morning mine was dead.never showed any sign of ill health,full of life and strong,a total mystery.The lad who lost one to his terrier got another,that bitch is doing more than its sisters to date.My lad spends a few days on the Fells with the same crowd,part of the reason he took one of the pups on,he,s hoping to put his big Deerhoundy over the Wheaten,if the bitch fulfils its breeding.

Edited by morton

The fella that lost 1 to his terrier has been doing a lot with that 1 of his. I spoke to you a bit [BANNED TEXT] we dug that terrier of his out of rocks with machine. I was driving machine on day we got her out. I’ve had a day or 2 up there [BANNED TEXT] your lad has been there and I’ve seen the terriers work on top they know what they’re looking for 

19 hours ago, morton said:

Thats the one that died,had it a week,took it for its usual walk and the pups were bouncing about and full of mischief,fed them and bedded them down,in the morning mine was dead.never showed any sign of ill health,full of life and strong,a total mystery.The lad who lost one to his terrier got another,that bitch is doing more than its sisters to date.My lad spends a few days on the Fells with the same crowd,part of the reason he took one of the pups on,he,s hoping to put his big Deerhoundy over the Wheaten,if the bitch fulfils its breeding.

A friend of mine has one deerhound/wheaten hound-its about 12 or 13 now .very good dog.

1 minute ago, ziggy said:

Morton seeing as you said your lad doesant work rock as they keep getting fast.. is it because the too big for the job... 

Not at all,they are a good size for fox work,it was more of a chain of events that you would not encounter in many a year that befell him in a short space of time.The mother and grandmother to these terriers never had a problem in over 10 seasons in rocks,between them,then the father to the pups got stuck twice in a season and his main dog then needed a digger to rescue him,that finished him with the places we,d worked for years,he,d just had his lurcher killed whilst in pursuit and it was the final straw with that type of terrier work,if he,d have lost that terrier i believe he,d have packed in.Its a shame really because the bitch especially would have made a good rock terrier.His terriers his choice,mine bred from the same type will see work in some of the places he refuses,the places we had terriers stuck were spots we had pressed our luck a tad to far perhaps,a couple of the spots ive visited recently and ill never go back.

• Like 1

There only as dangerous as a sand earth can be buddy. how many dogs are dug dead in running sand. Or your digging a spot and the last two foot wont say on the spade. That's when my ares gose. 

A lot of these rock holes now can be got to by a machine anyways and a good driver and a good team of lads.. there is still hope for the dog

• Like 2

Always thought the idea of a rock dog was they don’t get stuck. You may not get every fox with them but you always get your tea at tea time. An old bloke I know is 72 worked rocks all his life several times a week, he always tells me there’s no such thing as a bad pile just bad dogs. Suppose he’s got a point a good sensible rock dog should never go where it can’t get back from. We’re not talking digging dogs now 

Edited by justdigit
43 minutes ago, justdigit said:

Always thought the idea of a rock dog was they don’t get stuck. You may not get every fox with them but you always get your tea at tea time. An old bloke I know is 72 worked rocks all his life several times a week, he always tells me there’s no such thing as a bad pile just bad dogs. Suppose he’s got a point a good sensible rock dog should never go where it can’t get back from. We’re not talking digging dogs now 

Do rock work not as much now good rock dogs get lost or stuck in rock run fox in an had presher on it fox will go deep to places in pile it's not been before good dog will follow fox , was allways told if you run one in the rock give it best , how my pal lost his bitch bolted one for pile bitch ran it in never tobe seen again same pile bitch work 8 season's in spent month going back looking for her , had bolt Friday from rock 40 foot box could not find dog in pile bitch will only stay hour or 2 if not bolt she come away drop back in most times get your bolt , do old concert panel dumps with rebar in fox like tobe in em take locater off dog in them as dog can get hung up 

1 hour ago, Rat face said:

There only as dangerous as a sand earth can be buddy. how many dogs are dug dead in running sand. Or your digging a spot and the last two foot wont say on the spade. That's when my ares gose. 

A lot of these rock holes now can be got to by a machine anyways and a good driver and a good team of lads.. there is still hope for the dog

Yes, but in an earth the aim is for you to dig the dog and get the result one way or another with your input. You enter your dogs into these rock places and you have no claim on what is going to happen, I’d doubt you could net these places so at best you’re entering your dog into a impenetrable tomb with the hope of getting a glimpse of a fleeing fox. 

Also to say these places can be dug nowadays with diggers and a team of lads seems a bit irresponsible and slightly selfish on your part, I mean, why should a gang of lads risk their lives in these dangerous places and stop out all night just because you’ve put a dog into a place like that?

I’m not after an argument, I genuinely would like to know why you would rather put your dog in these places than do proper earths?

• Like 3