Bedlington stud dog Yorkshire

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So after all the debates and discussions i did get a stud dog for my bitch........she had the pups yesterday 4 x dogs 2 x bitches all doing really well including my bitch who has done herself proud wi

sire is the blue dog and dam is choc bitch shite pic il see if i can get a better one

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, TOPPER said:

i wouldnt know is the answer probably a bit of both non of mine are kc that i do know fred

thanks for the reply.i have never had a bedlington but always keep bedlingtonxwhippets all half crosses so far.i take a keen interest so can hopefully source good little crosses. cheers. 

6 hours ago, gnipper said:

Out of interest why would border be used to outcross? I'm not knocking borders in any way just can't see why you'd cross one with a beddy. If you were wanting to bring the size down and put a bit of work back into them then a little curly coated fell type would do the job better?

The border terrier was used by George for the same reason he first used the Lakeland terrier because he couldn’t find suitable Bedlingtons to breed with his and he needed new blood but wasn’t prepared to use just any Bedlington,he didn’t need an outcross to make them better workers he needed new blood. Printer on this forum has some really nice border Bedlingtons.

1 hour ago, darbo said:

As soon as they are crossed i would class them as hybrids.

+1Seems you can cross anything with a bedlington nowadays...you then call the offspring working bedlington...I've no problem with people breeding whatever they fancy,totally up to the individual imo,but it's inevitable these hybrids will end up bred back to "purest maybe unknowingly .Diluting an already small gene pool even further.Im sure a certain someone's going to be along in a min to talk about base stock etc etc ...Again ,I have no problem with hybrids,just drop the pretence of the Working Bedlington monica...A border lakey isn't a working border.....my lurcher isn't a working collie..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you go back to times when most people were born, lived and died in a small area of the country, terriers became a type mainly because of a limited access to different blood stock. I doubt they cared much if the dog looked a certain way, they wanted the best worker.

I believe it came much later where people obsessed with purity of blood and breeding with dogs that held a pedigree that went back for so many generations.

I personally feel that if a dog looks like a Bedlington, and behaves like a Bedlington, then it’s a Bedlington and it’s probably better for the fresh blood..

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

With all this outcrossing to different breeds, is there not a point where you stop classing your dogs as Bedlingtons? 

That's an open question to anyone.

All to do with closed gene pools and an elitist attitude. The Kennel Club seemed like a good and well intentioned idea at the time I'm sure it but was flawed. The people involved refused to acknowledge this, ignored the  deterioration in type of the dogs  over the years that they wanted to preserve once they closed the gene pool. Not a problem with some types, Greyhounds or Foxhounds for example, but they were established prior to this.  And they are not KC registered apart from some unfortunate examples. The terrier "breeds" suffered most. But only the KC ones, bred within the confines of a closed gene pool.  KC Bedlingtons are not necessarily the best examples of the breed/type.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, shepp said:

If you go back to times when most people were born, lived and died in a small area of the country, terriers became a type mainly because of a limited access to different blood stock. I doubt they cared much if the dog looked a certain way, they wanted the best worker.

I believe it came much later where people obsessed with purity of blood and breeding with dogs that held a pedigree that went back for so many generations.

I personally feel that if a dog looks like a Bedlington, and behaves like a Bedlington, then it’s a Bedlington and it’s probably better for the fresh blood..

I agree with most of what you say shepp..my point is the continual addition of fell/pat/border is going to produce some variation in size shape and colour to the point where it's no longer a beddy...some of the hybrids I've seen look f**k all like a beddy,their litter mates very much bedlington like,would the wirey jacketed block headed dog still be a "bedlington the same as it's litter mates??

• Like 1

That's my point I suppose, there seems to be a bit of a quarrel going on between different Bedlington owners on here about who's are the best etc etc when really it seems no one has a Pure one and they're basically all Fell types that looks like Bedlingtons?

So why is there such controversy and bitchiness between each other?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

That's my point I suppose, there seems to be a bit of a quarrel going on between different Bedlington owners on here about who's are the best etc etc when really it seems no one has a Pure one and they're basically all Fell types that looks like Bedlingtons?

you say no one has a pure? many claim to have kc that work why do so many people doubt them?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Its been like that RH for for decades that i know of.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, fred90 said:

you say no one has a pure? many claim to have kc that work why do so many people doubt them?

I've no doubt there are some pure's about, but what I'm saying is from what I've read on here it seems a common practise that Lakelands are added to bring the size down, add more prey drive or whatever. So my question is where do you draw the line where what you keep are no longer Bedlingtons?

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I've no doubt there are some pure's about, but what I'm saying is from what I've read on here it seems a common practise that Lakelands are added to bring the size down, add more prey drive or whatever. So my question is where do you draw the line where what you keep are no longer Bedlingtons?

good point.really should be called bedlington type terrier?

• Like 1

I have always maintained there is no such animal as a pure bedlington the same can be said of most terrier  groups some people seem to think it has to have a silly haircut and tassles on it ears to be a bedlington but nothings further from the true at the end of the day its whats in the dog not what it looks like , you can put ribbons in its fur but if the dog has the minerals it will still work be it go to ground or muller rats

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1