Bedlington stud dog Yorkshire

19 hours ago, Str said:

Daniel you say your starting to sway towards a terrier  that can do more than one thing,it’s not the dog Daniel it’s the owners that limit the dogs,a fell terrier with the right training could do anything a bedlington could do,Morton says how his bedlington hunts hares field after field! Any terrier could do that cos it’s out of control,dogs like that are a nightmare as there always too far in front which is no good if you have a gun in your hands unless it’s a Kalashnikov or as beating dogs or to flush to lurchers as they have there own agendas..

Str,you state that any terrier could do what a Beddy does,i like my Lakey/Fells,ive owned a few black terriers,russels and a mutt or two of pedigree unknown and all of them i entered to the ratching about and making the most of their terrier drive and instinctive hunting nature,some better than others.Ive yet to see a terrier of any other description,mine or others,graft at the pace and functionality of the Beddy.Ive yet to find another terrier that could navigate walls,fences,rivers and terrain in the way the Beddy does and keep up with the chase.They are more athletic,more agile and more up to the chase than anything else ive owned.I am in now way tunnel visioned on this matter as ive entered more than Bedlingtons in my pursuit of a result or three in the field.Ive not  owned another terrier that could keep up to the chase and the other terriers i owned,at certain times,never came close to being on the same page as the Beddy,s.Id not be to fussed about the terriers getting out of range of a gun as guns have no part in the days hunt for me and a lurcher that cannot keep up to a ratching terrier is as worthless as worthless is.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So after all the debates and discussions i did get a stud dog for my bitch........she had the pups yesterday 4 x dogs 2 x bitches all doing really well including my bitch who has done herself proud wi

sire is the blue dog and dam is choc bitch shite pic il see if i can get a better one

Posted Images

Morton,my point was any terrier can be trained to do anything a Bedlington can do and I stand by that ,I agree they may not do it as quickly as a Bedlington or have the legs to climb stone walls but there’s more to a hunting than who’s the quickest terrier,I’ve been like You Morton impressed with the Bedlingtons speed & drive and I agree it takes some beating but in my late 30s I bought a Lucas terrier which wasn’t as quick as my Bedlingtons but in every way she was better at ratching about,she caught more rabbits ,she worked close & brain wise she could buy & sell my Bedlington,when dogging pheasants back to pens she worked them hard in cover but once on open fields she would drive them like a little collie,once back to the pen she would sit quietly as they were fed.me and you want different kind of dog,I want a bright dog that works close & is versatile so I can shoot,beat, ratch about with it,I don’t want the fastest terrier on the block as I’ve been there and done that. Pic is of Lucas dog sat among young pheasants upside down which is a neat trick,dog retrieving rabbit from other bank,fox cub shot in lamp & retrieved, versatile or not Morton?.

E171985C-ADAF-4C6F-B315-4A18F0647BB5.jpeg

0A1A277C-93C7-4476-A5F1-2067910B97DA.jpeg

859611FB-63B5-43DF-AF19-EBE0E80F9C95.jpeg

• Like 5
39 minutes ago, Str said:

Morton,my point was any terrier can be trained to do anything a Bedlington can do and I stand by that ,I agree they may not do it as quickly as a Bedlington or have the legs to climb stone walls but there’s more to a hunting than who’s the quickest terrier,I’ve been like You Morton impressed with the Bedlingtons speed & drive and I agree it takes some beating but in my late 30s I bought a Lucas terrier which wasn’t as quick as my Bedlingtons but in every way she was better at ratching about,she caught more rabbits ,she worked close & brain wise she could buy & sell my Bedlington,when dogging pheasants back to pens she worked them hard in cover but once on open fields she would drive them like a little collie,once back to the pen she would sit quietly as they were fed.me and you want different kind of dog,I want a bright dog that works close & is versatile so I can shoot,beat, ratch about with it,I don’t want the fastest terrier on the block as I’ve been there and done that. Pic is of Lucas dog sat among young pheasants upside down which is a neat trick,dog retrieving rabbit from other bank,fox cub shot in lamp & retrieved, versatile or not Morton?.

Did he work to ground too?

I like a nice obedient terrier, my borders not disobedient just never really listening if you know what I mean.

26 minutes ago, Str said:

No matter how versatile a terrier is,especially at other disciplines,its not a terrier,at least to me,unless it as the ability to graft below as well as it does above.What sets the Bedlington standard for me is the ability to graft above and keep up with the chase,pursue it to an extent that the fox is persuaded to seek sanctuary below because its been pressed,by the terrier,into doing so.Without the speed and determination of the pursuer many a fox will play with anything in its wake and sit comfortably espying the sluggish chaser.Many a dawdling fox made the mistake of running slower than its Beddy nemesis.My mutts capture and kill many a fox in cover,or running to safety.A few folk have been open mouthed when witnessing something that only the Bedlington offers.I say only the Beddy offers but that would be churlish as many a non Beddy busher catches their fox in cover at times,the facts are ive yet to see a busher make an habit of doing so,as the Beddy does.

12 minutes ago, morton said:

No matter how versatile a terrier is,especially at other disciplines,its not a terrier,at least to me,unless it as the ability to graft below as well as it does above.What sets the Bedlington standard for me is the ability to graft above and keep up with the chase,pursue it to an extent that the fox is persuaded to seek sanctuary below because its been pressed,by the terrier,into doing so.Without the speed and determination of the pursuer many a fox will play with anything in its wake and sit comfortably espying the sluggish chaser.Many a dawdling fox made the mistake of running slower than its Beddy nemesis.My mutts capture and kill many a fox in cover,or running to safety.A few folk have been open mouthed when witnessing something that only the Bedlington offers.I say only the Beddy offers but that would be churlish as many a non Beddy busher catches their fox in cover at times,the facts are ive yet to see a busher make an habit of doing so,as the Beddy does.

I honestly dont get it. Your dogs are chasing fox through cover, and then to ground. How are you not loosing dogs every other week?

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Did he work to ground too?

I like a nice obedient terrier, my borders not disobedient just never really listening if you know what I mean.

Cheers gripper,yes he worked to ground but he was on the stockier side which limited him as it’s mainly dug out rabbit holes round here,the other Lucas I had was better to ground but I am not a digging man as they say,when they were to ground i always hoped for a bolt,both could be shouted out which is a handy thing to be able to do.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, morton said:

Sometimes Morton I am open mouthed at what you say,I had bedlingtons 1980s to 2000 Rillington strain,2 KC rillington & one 1/16 border so I am not un qualified to talk about Bedlingtons ,I like Bedlingtons they are good around kids and other dogs,good guard dogs,work wise knocking about they are very entertaining rarely get knocked up and mine used to hunt like f**k but there not perfect nothing is,they are too big for most fox earths & the Bedlingtons I’ve seen that are 14-15 TTS often have weak heads and don’t really resemble Bedlingtons.all my bedlingtons could retrieve & recall wasn’t bad but they are not smart dogs.regards chasing and catching fox’s on a regular basis well we will after agree to disagree on that one.

10 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

My old fell bitch was predominantly a digging dog, but she also made a very good bird dog, would work fox in cover (both with collar on), and also an excellent ratter. Kept her well clear of rabbits for obvious reasons. She was easy handle too, and had a bit of brains about her.

We have two patterdale bitches that we can run with our pack(one at a time)that will drop and be dug.when hunting small ditches or drains we use one terrier with a collar.many a fox was accounted for after been bolted for lurcher or dug to with one these bitches.worth there weight in gold to me

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EDDIE B said:

I honestly dont get it. Your dogs are chasing fox through cover, and then to ground. How are you not loosing dogs every other week?

Let’s be honest you don’t get to push that many Fox’s out from cover it’s certainly not a weekly thing or monthly on my local ground, I see them but they have usually winded me first unless they are slack foxes.

11 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

Easy know the land you hunt on good recall its how I like to hunt

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tank34 said:

Easy know the land you hunt on good recall its how I like to hunt

Ok, So what are we talking about here? Is it simply just mooching,  and whatever the dogs get on, they hunt? Not knocking it, can't see how a certain breed can make much of a difference to that task. 

7 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

Ok, So what are we talking about here? Is it simply just mooching,  and whatever the dogs get on, they hunt? Not knocking it, can't see how a certain breed can make much of a difference to that task. 

Yes just mooching terrier an lurcher both off hunting up rough land plenty of cover an most of time on top an have tobe pushed to ground an rock piles find most time in em you never really find if kept terrier on checking spot 

• Like 1

So after all the debates and discussions i did get a stud dog for my bitch........she had the pups yesterday 4 x dogs 2 x bitches all doing really well including my bitch who has done herself proud with these pups.

Screenshot_20180716-195236_WhatsApp.jpg

• Like 15