Bedlington stud dog Yorkshire

On 15/05/2018 at 18:07, foxdropper said:

Do you go out purposely to get a dog to ground Mort or is it just a case of its I found so lets see what happens .Big difference from a dog bred to dig week in week out than an occasional warrier full of itself. I agree about your breeding strategy but if it' not backed up with regular work you are achieving nothing. The draw back with the beddy is it's size in getting places in earth from what I've seen and benefit from a progam to reduce size and length ie outcrossing .

My lad as the adult terriers,all heavily Beddy infused,out at least 3 times a week,they literally push hundreds of fox out of cover a season,they bolt more than their share and are dug to a damn site more than many a digging terrier.These terriers are bred for bushing and fox work and need to be of a size that matches their graft,mine breed true to type,There is a lineage behind mine that can be traced back over many,many generations of terriers that graft below to a standard that most would be happy to adhere to.The least worked mutt out of his 3 had a decent season,the other 2 the majority on here would,nt wish to believe the amount of earth work they have encountered,the season before and the one before that to boot.These terriers are taken out and find and push to ground what many a terrier walks past on a leash,then they enter and the reality work begins.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So after all the debates and discussions i did get a stud dog for my bitch........she had the pups yesterday 4 x dogs 2 x bitches all doing really well including my bitch who has done herself proud wi

sire is the blue dog and dam is choc bitch shite pic il see if i can get a better one

Posted Images

Morton no offence but there some big claims there like theses are dug to more than a digging dog and are bred to to a standard below ground that most would be happy with not disputing that but everyone expectations is different and the claim of the amount of earth work they have had you wouldn't wish to believe every place is different as is how educated the gear is but trust me a beddy cross however good will never stay like a good purpose bred black dog not nowa days 

1 minute ago, blackmaggie said:

Morton no offence but there some big claims there like theses are dug to more than a digging dog and are bred to to a standard below ground that most would be happy with not disputing that but everyone expectations is different and the claim of the amount of earth work they have had you wouldn't wish to believe every place is different as is how educated the gear is but trust me a beddy cross however good will never stay like a good purpose bred black dog not nowa days 

I owned a digging dog that spent more time recovering than working,whilst he healed the Beddy,s carried the work load,i live in Keighley,my lad in Leeds and i can say with a little certainty the gear is Oxford educated,well some.Plus they see plenty of graft in hound country.Its naive to believe the Black terriers are the be all and end all of terrier work and expectation and nothing else can compare,the facts are that much of the black stuff bred now is just as useless as many another type.

In that case my next outcross might be one of your beddies Mort as it seems like you've cracked it .Fair play to you where others are struggling .I'll get your number off some of the lads up your way because with mutts as good as that ,they will know you .Speak soon .

• Haha 2
On 09/05/2018 at 19:16, morton said:

The main reason for the decline in the Bedlington is folk wanting to line terriers fit only for rodent work.A Bedlington that is not an earth dog is not fit to be a stud dog.

On 10/05/2018 at 19:59, morton said:

Ive owned black terriers and its certainly a fact of life now that the majority of black terriers are a far more reliable option than the majority of Beddys about now.If you fail to comprehend the reasoning between poor breeding practice and a decline in working function,in any terrier,then ill leave you to your black terrier Nirvana.The reason i won,t own another black terrier is mainly because they are not the terrier they once where,again poor kennel management and the pursuit of the dollar,plus the Beddy mongrels have proven themselves to better suit my hunting lifestyle.

On 11/05/2018 at 18:30, morton said:

If you are an example of a real terrierman im glad im not of your ilk and ill stick with my fluffy,s.

On 12/05/2018 at 22:10, morton said:

3 1/2  days,mind you he was stuck under an awful lot of rock.They stay until the fox bolts or they are dug to,that may take a few minutes or several hours.We always attempt to let the terrier do the work and try not to interfere,a dog we have here we have to get the shovel to as he quickly kills a reluctant bolter.

On 12/05/2018 at 22:26, morton said:

Where is digging illegal around you?.The bitching starts when somebody looks for a worthless stud to further their kennel,a kennel not worth breeding out of.My advice is to source a proper bred working pup and use it as you wish,if that entails only ratching about for rodents thats your choice and i wish you well with that, a proper bred pup will ratch about with far more purpose than a failure and is then worth breeding from if you so desire,a Beddy that is bred from shite stock will later breed more shite in another kennel.Therefore my advice is not to breed from what you have and if you are not equipped to deal with a terrier dropping to ground,even shite bred uns will,then you would be far better served with getting a, houndy/beagle type hunting companion,not to small though because them feckers have an habit of dropping in.

On 13/05/2018 at 19:28, morton said:

How much will you sell the spare pups for?.If you breed from terrier stock that won,t go to ground it is shite breeding,if you had posted about a Black terrier,a lakey/fell or a russel this site would have been all over you like a rash on a cheap whores monkey,because it is about a Bedlington many on here find it acceptable that you wish to breed bushers from failures.Again don,t breed from what you have,rather than produce another litter of shite source yourself something more fitting to your hunting lifestyle.A beagle/terrier or spaniel/terrier mutt will serve you far,far better,take off the rose tinted spectacles and work the Beddy bitch alongside another and don,t add to the egoistic cesspool of Beddy failures.

On 13/05/2018 at 19:56, morton said:

The reason i keep Bedlingtons is because they are the most versatile of terrier,they will ratch about on top with few equals and will enter below and graft as well as any terrier,the vast majority of the graft mine encounter is above ground and anything they push or find to ground i expect them to deal with as a terrier should,a Bedlington that refuses or is not interested in entering is shite,is bred from shite and will only produce shite,i hope that clears it up for you.

On 13/05/2018 at 20:05, morton said:

Id much rather spoil a thread than an honest terrier just to line my pocket and ego.

On 13/05/2018 at 20:35, morton said:

You won,t find an argument from me with those percentages,yet it only takes 1 or 2 folk to breed right to start to get those percentages down a tad.With every litter of shite sold the Beddy reputation suffers,with every honest litter the balance is hard to balance,a few diehards are hell bent on putting the record straight,if that means upsetting a few feckwits and egos so be it.While im on here ill take up the challenge as i know what a genuine Beddy brings to the table.

On 13/05/2018 at 21:45, morton said:

Yup he,s going to breed a shithawk litter to further the cause of the working bedlington and not sell the surplus shithawk dross,then a few months down the line the owners of these shithawk dross will not line them,spin a few yarns about their working prowess and advertise another litter of dross masquerading as WORKING Bedlingtons,i admire your naievety.

On 13/05/2018 at 22:05, morton said:

Im a true grey rothbury.

On 20/05/2018 at 21:36, morton said:

My lad as the adult terriers,all heavily Beddy infused,out at least 3 times a week,they literally push hundreds of fox out of cover a season,they bolt more than their share and are dug to a damn site more than many a digging terrier.These terriers are bred for bushing and fox work and need to be of a size that matches their graft,mine breed true to type,There is a lineage behind mine that can be traced back over many,many generations of terriers that graft below to a standard that most would be happy to adhere to.The least worked mutt out of his 3 had a decent season,the other 2 the majority on here would,nt wish to believe the amount of earth work they have encountered,the season before and the one before that to boot.These terriers are taken out and find and push to ground what many a terrier walks past on a leash,then they enter and the reality work begins.

On 20/05/2018 at 22:07, morton said:

I owned a digging dog that spent more time recovering than working,whilst he healed the Beddy,s carried the work load,i live in Keighley,my lad in Leeds and i can say with a little certainty the gear is Oxford educated,well some.Plus they see plenty of graft in hound country.Its naive to believe the Black terriers are the be all and end all of terrier work and expectation and nothing else can compare,the facts are that much of the black stuff bred now is just as useless as many another type.

Ffs,  have a read at these posts you've written, then have a good think and answer this question honestly, do you actually know what the word 'hypercritical' really means?!

• Like 2

Morton about 35 years ago, when I lived in West Yorkshire, a friend of mine had a similar type of terrier as yours Morton, not pure Bedlington but heavily influenced. It was used mainly for ferreting and marking burrows. Though the guy said it had bolted foxes on occasions but as he preferred hunting rabbits he wasn't too bothered.

One day my Lakie bitch got stuck in a rock pile at a fox.

This lad turned up the next day to lend a hand digging my bitch out and his Beddy type terrier went to ground in the rock pile, found the fox and bolted it like it was a pro. My bitch was trapped under a rock and we eventually got her out unharmed.

This Beddy type of terrier was a handy dog and I would bet it would have been a good fox dog given the chance.

I also had a Beddy x whippet dog that would go to ground given half a chance and on more than one occasion would draw out a fox. 

That was 30 years ago and then some...LOL

• Like 1
On 21/05/2018 at 11:00, tank34 said:

I'd like to see your beddys work Morton if your up for day out when season comes I like to see a dog find in big rock piles an bolt the fox 

If you had read one of my earlier posts you would have seen that my lad now as all the adult workers,i only have 4 pups,3 at 7 months of age and a dog nearing 14 months,im hoping to find a decent home for him before the young bitches hit their first season,thus im probably about 6 months away from having anything to enter.It would,nt really matter because ive no interest or intention to ever seek new hunting company now.My lad is happy enough to meet and greet anybody with honest intent,a couple of lads on here know him and if you are one of the decent types about then no doubt you may receive a pm.There is a chance the mutts will be at the fmwtc show in Lancs shortly,visit the show and put a few coffers in a worthy pot introduce yersen and see if you have common interests.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, morton said:

If you had read one of my earlier posts you would have seen that my lad now as all the adult workers,i only have 4 pups,3 at 7 months of age and a dog nearing 14 months,im hoping to find a decent home for him before the young bitches hit their first season,thus im probably about 6 months away from having anything to enter.It would,nt really matter because ive no interest or intention to ever seek new hunting company now.My lad is happy enough to meet and greet anybody with honest intent,a couple of lads on here know him and if you are one of the decent types about then no doubt you may receive a pm.There is a chance the mutts will be at the fmwtc show in Lancs shortly,visit the show and put a few coffers in a worthy pot introduce yersen and see if you have common interests.

Morton if that' the case could you not sort a day out with your lad and the bedlington type you keep this tank fella seem keen to see a bedlington type in the rocks who knows a potential kennel to place one of these bedlington type pups you have on at the moment as you seem to want to promote the bedlington as a grafter atb rt

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, russell tuck said:

Morton if that' the case could you not sort a day out with your lad and the bedlington type you keep this tank fella seem keen to see a bedlington type in the rocks who knows a potential kennel to place one of these bedlington type pups you have on at the moment as you seem to want to promote the bedlington as a grafter atb rt

My lads his own man now rt,i educated him the best i could,i gave him an head start with mutts,i wiped his arse and nose for years,then he became a man,took the terriers to a level i cannot compete at now and finds his own company.Id never attempt to put a total stranger in touch with him,he,d have harsh words to say.I stated earlier there are lads on here that know and hunt with him,if the lad can be vouched for then it will work through the grapevine and one of them will drop him a pm,if not then its what it is.

On 21/05/2018 at 07:53, foxdropper said:

In that case my next outcross might be one of your beddies Mort as it seems like you've cracked it .Fair play to you where others are struggling .I'll get your number off some of the lads up your way because with mutts as good as that ,they will know you .Speak soon .

Its taken me over 30 years to get to where i am now,ill tell you why folk struggle,they want instant success,take shortcuts and heed the wrong company.If i wished you to have my number id give you it.

14 hours ago, morton said:

Ok Morton ?

Edited by tank34
15 hours ago, russell tuck said:

Rock is what I have to work dogs in an I like beddys , would not take a 14 month old dog on as I like pups to bond with a bring on my way , I have young bitch on her dam beddy type sir black dog all works out with her she be put back to beddy type the pic of marking in rock she about 6 month old top pic she 13 month old rt 20180430_135434.thumb.jpg.ecfac4e872749ab961a4dcd2bfb23f68.jpg20180209_135528.thumb.jpg.5b3fead675193902d510cc9fff622b1d.jpg

• Like 1

In got a bitch here does well in the rocks and a dog I bred also but he' un tried in the rocks or ground for that matter bet we'll see this season coming . For me it' the rocks is were the bedlington come into their own with a little bit of leg but need to be narrow across the chest I find do best for me atb rt

4 hours ago, tank34 said:

Rock is what I have to work dogs in an I like beddys , would not take a 14 month old dog on as I like pups to bond with a bring on my way , I have young bitch on her dam beddy type sir black dog all works out with her she be put back to beddy type the pic of marking in rock she about 6 month old top pic she 13 month old rt 20180430_135434.thumb.jpg.ecfac4e872749ab961a4dcd2bfb23f68.jpg20180209_135528.thumb.jpg.5b3fead675193902d510cc9fff622b1d.jpg

The vet didn’t dock his tail mate