It's an adder. Like everything some snakes grow much larger then they should I've kept snakes had one female which grew alot faster and bigger then her sister both fed the same way and housed the same way but she was nearly double her sisters size at 6 months. So I'd say you'd get much larger adders aswell rear but could happen 

I,guess like most creatures he will be a thing of habit so when I return I will tie the dogs up before I reach the spot and try to sneak up unnoticed and get a picture, I have a video somewhere on a hi8 tape of one I caught years ago (grass snake)  but he,s stood right up spitting like a proper snake have also had some foul smelling shit sprayed on me by a grass snake it was a milky substance that no amount of washing seemed to shift and I stunk for days after, I,m still leaning toward adder as most grass snakes I find are close to or on water were as this thing was in a more heathland enviroment, any ways thanks for the input all ??

13 hours ago, Gilbey said:

adder, here's a small similar one, its a mile off because I was keeping a daft dog off

WP_20150730_001.jpg

That does look just like it plus the foliage around is not dissimilar, looks like me and the dogs had a lucky miss with that one, cheers ?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Greyman said:

That does look just like it plus the foliage around is not dissimilar, looks like me and the dogs had a lucky miss with that one, cheers ?

You did have a lucky miss, especially if you was parting the grass looking for it.

Unless the dogs are willy critters, I would be keeping them away from the area, now Is the worst time to be bitten, and where there is one............

2 hours ago, Greyman said:

yeah I'd say you were, wouldn't touch either personally, like you say grass snakes stink and with my luck id be bitten by the adder.

that's a green strip next to a path, over the fence is fell/heath. Like you say yours will prob be in the same place for a bit

Loads of reptiles locally,i often come across some reptile groups numbered corrugated sheets or large times they use for reptile counts or surveys,theres one down near Hampshire right beside the m3 you can almost guarantee to see slow-worms,adders and grass snakes if you look under enough sheets.

large.gallery_44344_4738_112938.jpg.f15a4846df9ea51a6ddf02a854a01979.jpg

• Like 3
On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 16:50, W. Katchum said:

never seen any up here but never really looked to be fair 

Stanhope we used to find a few adders,and we found a colony? of slow worms at plankey mill just past hexham but that was it,a dearth of reptiles up there when we were kids.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, skycat said:

If in doubt look at their pupils: grass snakes have round pupils, adders have vertical slits for pupils. Can't go wrong with that.

That's all well and good for the snipers amongst us but when you have the vision of a bat you have to get a little to close to the sharp end to make that kind of ID! :laugh:

• Like 1

Sounds like an adder and as already mentioned grass snakes grow longer and have the yellow band round their neck.

Whatever, every time I see a snake I do a double take and take a step back usually! :laugh::thumbs:

• Like 1