To tune, or not to tune, that is the question ?

Here`s the difference lads, is it worth it ?

First photo is my recently bought, untouched Pro Sport, shot cold from the bag, going for two groups of 10 head shots and 10 heart/ lung.

To take this in lads, place a 5p coin in front of you then check the pictures out please.

IMG_1035.thumb.JPG.c8a2148fe3e105e271ab40a5a90e1808.JPG

Then exactly the same again, same cal, same pellet, same scope but a tuned T Rex.

IMG_1036.thumb.JPG.1e44f5753a7b4b6374bcfaafc9bcc090.JPG

All 40 shots would have despatched wood pigeons but would tuning the pro sport be worth it ?

atb  Mark

• Like 2

Not being funny here mark but the un tuned PS has a better group than the t,rex mate

But on saying that the PS tuned is some thing else Mark .

I should no iv had plenty of them lol

But heres a question for you to ponder over

IF IT SHOOTS LIKE THAT NOW

WHY CHANGE IT JUST WAIT UNTIL IT NEEDS SOME THING THEN GET IT DONE

IF IT INT BROKEN DONT FIX IT .

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 3
9 hours ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Not being funny here mark but the un tuned PS has a better group than the t,rex mate

But on saying that the PS tuned is some thing else Mark .

I should no iv had plenty of them lol

But heres a question for you to ponder over

IF IT SHOOTS LIKE THAT NOW

WHY CHANGE IT JUST WAIT UNTIL IT NEEDS SOME THING THEN GET IT DONE

IF IT INT BROKEN DONT FIX IT .

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

For a Prosport, that's my thoughts on it as well :yes:

The ones I've shot have always had a very sweet firing cycle without any work being done.

Besides, would chucking more money at it make those groups any better?

:thumbs:

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, timmytree said:

I wouldn't do any more than a clean and regrease when it needs it.

It's interesting that the heart lung groups are better than the head groups?

Well spotted TT :good:.

I was beginning to wonder is it just my mind ?

The rifles were shot from cold, straight out of their bags. 

Both rifles were shot at the "head targets first" and "heart lung second".

I`m no gunsmith remember but my take of it, is, that after the first 10 shots both rifles had warmed up a little and greater shot consistency was created ?

I recon the difference in the higher and lower groups is due to parallax mark...

ive noticed it loads of times when I do group tests with one target below the other, the target hight that ive zeroed to is always better than the other one!

my eyes aren't great and just getting a clear sight picture dose not put the parallax on point.. I have to sacrifice picture/sight quality to get the parallax spot on. 

This might just be my simple mind at work here Mark BUT if the second group has 'warmed' up and produces the better group, then perhaps that should not be considered because unless you are shooting in quick succession in the hide, there will be cooling off time between shots. If that is the case then perhaps after a tune, the Prosport could be improved which may give better groups from cold.

I don't know if that makes sense, I am getting confused and I wrote i.

Phil 

21 hours ago, mark williams said:

Here`s the difference lads, is it worth it ?

First photo is my recently bought, untouched Pro Sport, shot cold from the bag, going for two groups of 10 head shots and 10 heart/ lung.

To take this in lads, place a 5p coin in front of you then check the pictures out please.

IMG_1035.thumb.JPG.c8a2148fe3e105e271ab40a5a90e1808.JPG

Then exactly the same again, same cal, same pellet, same scope but a tuned T Rex.

IMG_1036.thumb.JPG.1e44f5753a7b4b6374bcfaafc9bcc090.JPG

All 40 shots would have despatched wood pigeons but would tuning the pro sport be worth it ?

atb  Mark

With sh!t groups like that, I think you should sell both rifles and spend the money on some decent glasses,lol......?

Only joking, I’d say save your money for something else.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, si brown said:

I recon the difference in the higher and lower groups is due to parallax mark...

ive noticed it loads of times when I do group tests with one target below the other, the target hight that ive zeroed to is always better than the other one!

my eyes aren't great and just getting a clear sight picture dose not put the parallax on point.. I have to sacrifice picture/sight quality to get the parallax spot on. 

3 hours ago, timmytree said:

Well done Si, thats on the same lines I was thinking. A fractional change in head position.

Here you go lads.

It was starting to go dark but got there.

Bottom targets shot first.

IMG_1037.thumb.JPG.9869c6d2d830bcfe26a6558a85eae29b.JPG

Some good points raised, and some very nice groups, that said, most rifles can be improved, pro sports are no exception, for instance, AA still for some unknown reason insist on using a steel spring guide and top hat, the spring ends are poorly finished, not as bad as some, but still poor, most have grease in abundance inside when you strip them, which is never good, by paying attention to the finer details, like mirror polishing the spring ends, fitting some delrin parts, ensuring the piston washer is correctly sized, adding some power washers (which are generally needed after fitting lighter delrin)  correctly lubing, most importantly getting rid of all that grease, and adding dri slide on the bearings, things are smoothed out, any trace of twang is removed, and lock time generally speeded up, a good product has now become a properly finished item performing at its optimum, in fact AA rifles can be made to feel "almost"  as good as an out of the box Walther LGV/LGU?

• Like 2

I had my Pro Sport .22 tuned with a Tinbum drop in kit and fettled internals by Tim/Charlie Caller here. He has done a fantastic job for me and my Pro Sport is a dream to shoot. It feels a bit more refined than it did out of the box for sure. But it was a blistering accurate rifle to begin with. Tuning may not vastly improve the accuracy of the barrel but, from my experience, adding the the TBT kit has made my rifle that much nicer and more consistent a rifle that is beautifully smooth and satisfying to shoot with. 

Certainly, no regrets for having it tuned like this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1