• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tried the bike but can'tsee how how riding a quad can help .Do I have to push it .

Does anyone else train their liver with massive amounts of alcohol? Not to failure of course! Just many reps to build stamina?

Fcuking he'll mate the way you were going on I thought you were about 83! At 33 your still wet behind the ears. Follow Birds example he's 65 but you'll never hear him complaining.....

Posted Images

Ran the darkness into light 5k this morning .....,around 21.30 not accurate as we had to walk for minute and half to get through crowd......was a fair aul trot.....any runners know if she was a fast time??

Running is good, some long steady and some faster stuff, say 3 to 4 runs a week, a bit of gym stuff once or twice a week and  a couple of rest days off a week to recovery and bobs your uncle. I'm 56 and still  come in the upper end of races over both short and longer distances and manage the odd gym session without embarrassment. Running itself doesn't damage joints, its the twisting and turning that does the damage in sports, but i does give excellent cardio vascular results. If starting to exercise take your resting pulse, taken 1st thing in the morning before getting out of bed over a couple of days to get an average, then repeat each month. You will see it drop the fitter you get, mine is between 40-50 which means over a day my heart beats approx a 3rd less than the average person, so is under much less stress. Each beat is more effective, the blood vessels are more effective,  over all the whole system is better able to cope with the everyday demands of life. Lastly I enjoy the challenge of running,  both in racing and when just pushing myself in a training session  and its a good way to exercise the dog so whats not to like.

this was my late 40's

post-2025-0-36613500-1395323111.jpg

and not a deal of difference today other than a few more lines and a little less hair.

1384711832_surf1.jpg.ef49f871fa5c2ceb30e32bc16fac4861.jpg

exercise keeps you young, a body is like a hinge it becomes rusty through lack  use.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

It does Sandy mate... When I started again back in Jan.... Jesus I suffered, to the point it even entered my my mind "I can't do this" then i had a word with myself and my old mentality kicked in and then I pushed through through with shear mind over matter ;)

• Like 2

Been looking at all the newspaper clippings me and my brother were in as youngsters for a running achievements, i wish I'd had stuck at it now. We were better than another athlete from Barnsley Sam Ellis who ran for Great Britain.

41 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

That’s the thing , you weren’t !! 

He stuck at it, that’s the discipline right there 

And how do you know i weren't? I know a fact i was better than him, i was doing better 800 mtr times and he was at least two year older!

2 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

That’s why he’s an Olympian and your saying “ I need to get fit again “ 

being an athlete isn’t just about talent 

What's that got to do with being better than him at the time? The facts are i was better than him at a younger age when i competed. He stuck with it and fair play to the lad, just wish i had my head more screwed on when i was a teenager.

5 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

being an athlete isn’t just about talent 

You are correct......I was just born that way !

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

What's that got to do with being better than him at the time? The facts are i was better than him at a younger age when i competed. He stuck with it and fair play to the lad, just wish i had my head more screwed on when i was a teenager.

Excuses, excuses that's why he's top of his game and your bottom of the pile pal?a bit of self control goes along way lol?