It's my right eye!

It's not often I visit so I apologize if I don't explain myself properly now.

Some know me for shooting my air rifles on open sights although I did scope one last year one still isn't. My huge fear was any embarrassment I may feel for using a scope but I needn't of worried. In fact it has turned out just fine in fact.

The rifle without a scope still is my little snappy 99s. I went plinking yesterday with it and it turns out that my right eye is just too dim now. Reliable hunting is getting as short as 25 yards on the open sights.

Where as a cheap 4x32 is fine on my dolly ( a PCP of oriental extract) I fear zee German may capukt the cheap scope in little time! Or am I wrong!!

So, apart from being between jobs at the moment I need in the near future an optical aid for shooting the 99s.

4x32 is plenty, I stopped shooting air guns beyond 100yds years ago.

What has been your experience/s with cheap scopes on springers?

How about the red dot or halo type thingies?

Any thoughts please?

U.

Edited by Underdog

I actually like the red dot scopes, they are excellent for fast target acquisition on short range targets, but little use on much past about 30 yards or so due to the dot covering a large amount of the target, cheap scope on a springer? All I can say is you may get away with it, you may not, but if its a cheapo scope and it lasts a year, so what, buy another and not cry too much, a word on the 99s if you either have it done or tune it yourself, it is very easy to turn a snappy rifle that sounds like a car crash, into a very smooth, low recoil, very accurate rifle, that wont snap reticules, a good polish, delrin spring guide and tophat, with some proper lubrication transforms them, if you wish to do it yourself and are unsure about anything, I am more than happy to go through it with you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, charlie caller said:

I actually like the red dot scopes, they are excellent for fast target acquisition on short range targets, but little use on much past about 30 yards or so due to the dot covering a large amount of the target, cheap scope on a springer? All I can say is you may get away with it, you may not, but if its a cheapo scope and it lasts a year, so what, buy another and not cry too much, a word on the 99s if you either have it done or tune it yourself, it is very easy to turn a snappy rifle that sounds like a car crash, into a very smooth, low recoil, very accurate rifle, that wont snap reticules, a good polish, delrin spring guide and tophat, with some proper lubrication transforms them, if you wish to do it yourself and are unsure about anything, I am more than happy to go through it with you. 

Thanks. Points taken.

Are the red dots more robust compared to cheap scopes?

Its both my eyes U

im diabetic and it effects my eyes  and as im getting older there getting worse

i need to look through the scope to see at a distance

but this new Airmax is no good at night when i do most of my shooting

the ret is to fine and even when i use the ir and put the red beam lamp on it blurs the image in the scope

so i cant scan with it even on its lowest setting .

the mamba is the scope i need nice dark ret and easy to use

the air max retails at £350ish good in day light bad for me at night

and the scope on the 97 has the same ret but as that is my crow rifle ill not be using that at night .

i may even go back to a cheap scope my self like a Nikko sterling i never had any problems with one of them on pcp or spring

nice clear glass and a ret you can see day or night .

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

At a guess I would say the red dots are more robust due to them having less internals to go wrong, a superb scope that should fit your needs is the Konus pro 3-9x32 ao I have one on my BSA ultra and it is excellent very well made, very crisp bright image with a nice thin crosshair, I think they retail around £70  it holds zero superbly (always a measure of a good scope to me) and looking at the build quality, I think it will stand up well to the relatively light recoil of a 99s.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Underdog said:

Getting old is no fun ?

Preferable to the alternative though Nathan. 

If if it’s a cheap scope you’re after, a fixed mag should stand up to recoil better than a zoom. Less parts to shake loose. Just my opinion, but what do I know? Fcuk all probably,lol...?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, philpot said:

I agree with you Jimmy regarding the Airmax, superb in daylight but at night even with my Nitesite, they are not as good as my Mamba Lite.

Phil

Got a few thing on a list that i want to get at the shooting show Phil

top of the list is an old mamba if i can find one

and sort out my fac and sgc

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

1 hour ago, Jonnyb6161 said:

I use a Fire Wolf 5-15x50 FFP on my 99s and it works fine. But I had to get decent adjustable mounts with a stop pin to prevent the scope walking backwards with recoil.

That's just to much scope for me bud.