Following a request from a work colleague to make a Sgian Dubh for his son in-law this is the very rustic end result.

I had a free hand the only request was his initials in runic writing somewhere on the knife.

He works in forestry so i thought chainsaw chain forge welded to series 2 Land Rover spring was appropriate.

The Yew handle is local to where he grew up.

27091317777_d603a80ba3_b.jpgP1080464 by Terry Griffiths, on Flickr

41960258041_54777b8fee_b.jpgP1080450 by Terry Griffiths, on Flickr

27091339307_ac330fd90d_b.jpgP1080465 by Terry Griffiths, on Flickr

28088940048_a54d4afe4f_b.jpgP1080467 by Terry Griffiths, on Flickr

28089060498_291fdfed2f_b.jpgP1080460 by Terry Griffiths, on Flickr

28089321918_427781dc8b_b.jpgP1080471 by Terry Griffiths, on Flickr

40153695370_ea1458ef11_b.jpgP1080379 by Terry Griffiths, on Flickr

41061269085_ea16eb185e_b.jpgP1080381 by Terry Griffiths, on Flickr

• Like 4

Nice one pal. Who gave you the idea with the chainsaw chain ? It certainly is rustic. Your pal will wear it with pride. Jok.

25 minutes ago, jok said:

Nice one pal. Who gave you the idea with the chainsaw chain ? It certainly is rustic. Your pal will wear it with pride. Jok.

Cheers Jock. Seen some pieces on knife forums and liked the look. First time i have tried chainsaw chain....welds could be cleaner but it looks the part.

Very nice.

What does Sgian Dubh mean ?

Scian Dubh in Irish means black knife, so is it Scots gaelic for the same ?

19 hours ago, neil cooney said:

Very nice.

What does Sgian Dubh mean ?

Scian Dubh in Irish means black knife, so is it Scots gaelic for the same ?

Yes black dagger, whether because of the traditional black handle or because of the dark nature of it's origin being a carried as a hidden knife. History

• Like 1

Guest Navek

Smart that mate ...but what did it for me is the history with it .. 

Very nice and unusual mate 

• Like 1

Cracking work as usual Griff ..but the fella will be chuffed with that .

• Like 1

On 12/05/2018 at 18:47, sussex said:

Cracking work as usual Griff ..but the fella will be chuffed with that .

Cheers Sussex. By all accounts it should be right up his street.

It was a fun project, not a knife i would choose to make on spec but an interesting commission.

I will definitely try the chain San-Mai again, plenty of  improvement to be made in my forge welding technique. This one will just be a show piece so the chain is for rustic effect only. I would need cleaner tighter welds if it was going to be a real user.

Griff

• Like 2

Thats braw Griff, you could do a bundle on them! Lots of people would want one.....

I think the 'black' came from the handles, didnt they used to use bog oak, so the handles were generally black in colour?

I've read various bits about them, supposed to be smooth on one side and textured on the other for comfort wearing and drawing smoothly......there are loads of differing opinions on what they should be like. 

I once got stopped by the guards in Dublin for allegedly carrying a sgian down my sock when on rugby tour......it was actually a soup spoon from the hotel.....witnessed by a station load of lads on tour....they were so peeved when they found out it wasnt a blade, they confiscated it.....they were beeling red when they walked away getting jeered by about 250 scots in kilts.....

• Like 1

On 24/05/2018 at 08:26, Wullz said:

Thats braw Griff, you could do a bundle on them! Lots of people would want one.....

I think the 'black' came from the handles, didnt they used to use bog oak, so the handles were generally black in colour?

I've read various bits about them, supposed to be smooth on one side and textured on the other for comfort wearing and drawing smoothly......there are loads of differing opinions on what they should be like. 

I once got stopped by the guards in Dublin for allegedly carrying a sgian down my sock when on rugby tour......it was actually a soup spoon from the hotel.....witnessed by a station load of lads on tour....they were so peeved when they found out it wasnt a blade, they confiscated it.....they were beeling red when they walked away getting jeered by about 250 scots in kilts.....

You can do a lot of damage with a soup spoon!😄

10 hours ago, GruffaloGriff said:

You can do a lot of damage with a soup spoon!😄

Especially if you've got a bowl of soup ....😋

• Like 2

Griff, or anyone else for that matter. Bit of a question for a pal. Of mine. He has come into possession of a Swiss Army knife called, I believe, Swiss Super Champ Super Timer with Victrionox steel. Now, having done the usual interenet searches etc, he wonders if I can get a value for him. It's in good nick . Anyone shed any light please. Jok.