Tips on breaking hounds off Deer

Have you a whipper in or is it a gun pack ?

I was talking to a huntsman recently and talking about riot he remarked that the more you see it the easier it is to break them to it. When you think about it he makes sense.

No luxury of whipper in, guns or lurchers, I had contemplated using shock collar and take hounds lamping then shock when they open up on lamped deer, but cautious if it would affect dogs attitude to hunting fox.

2 hours ago, pollypocket said:

No luxury of whipper in, guns or lurchers, I had contemplated using shock collar and take hounds lamping then shock when they open up on lamped deer, but cautious if it would affect dogs attitude to hunting fox.

Get a couple of the lads that hunt with you to give you a had, it’s the least they can do if your getting them sport.

• Like 4

Forget any silly methods using electric or lamps. 

There is only one way. 

A whipper in and exercise among deer regularly. Don't fck it up using old wives tales or they will be spoiled forever. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Forget any silly methods using electric or lamps. 

There is only one way. 

A whipper in and exercise among deer regularly. Don't fck it up using old wives tales or they will be spoiled forever. 

Sound advice,, thanks.

At least it's logical, same method I use when breaking them to sheep. 

In an ideal world the proper way to stop hounds on any riot is to let the deer or hare or whatever past you, give it some vocal encouragement to hurry on, this will stop the scent. It works the same way as a headed fox looses it's scent when turned for a short while. When the hounds come to where you headed the riot hounds will loose the line and lift their heads. That's when you correct them and tell them no.

Like I say, that's in an ideal world.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

like its been suggested if you have a spare yard to put a couple of deer in then it does the hounds no harm to see them every day, but the best way is to go and look for deer and set them up, have a couple of lads on either quads or horses and anything that even looks like it wants to take off when they see deer then square em up and do it lots! the biggest mistake people make with hounds rioting on deer is they shy away from getting amongst them and go the other direction, get amongst them and let them see them, then you can chastise them in a controlled manner 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know of a pack, which keep a goat,sheep and a deer in and around there kennels!

They hunt in massively populated deer country!They literally just walk into forest where others wouldn't dream of and hunt! Never have an issue!

I assume the hounds become so accustomed to the scent they don't recognize it with with hunting!

I know keeping a deer around a pack isnt really achievable for most but its being done!

• Like 2
On 06/07/2018 at 10:42, DigDeepIRL said:

I know of a pack, which keep a goat,sheep and a deer in and around there kennels!

They hunt in massively populated deer country!They literally just walk into forest where others wouldn't dream of and hunt! Never have an issue!

I assume the hounds become so accustomed to the scent they don't recognize it with with hunting!

I know keeping a deer around a pack isnt really achievable for most but its being done!

Having a country that's full of deer isn't a problem. Its a country with an odd deer that's hard work. 

• Like 3