Interesting Little Clip

50 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

could some one come on here and honestly say they actually saw a kerry work either in a stop end or in any situation where true gameness was visible ..from all the people ive mixed with over the years,none...AND I MEAN NOT ONE ...has ever seen a decent kerry blue ..i saw a vid of a kerry put up against a wheaten in the box way back in the late 70's and the kerry didnt last 2 minutes(literally) the wheaten was taken from the kerry ,which i might add was screaming for mercy and as soon as the kerry was released it jumped the wall..i dont think a blue was ever used for anything other than a few rats and murdering things on top of the soil and probably in company too,,their know to be man biters,good guard dogs and BAD  with small children..... i await the onslaught lol

Met a lad at a show years ago that had 1st cross Kerry greyhound that told me the dog was a demon on foxes, I took his statement with a massive pinch of salt.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

could some one come on here and honestly say they actually saw a kerry work either in a stop end or in any situation where true gameness was visible ..from all the people ive mixed with over the years

I can smell the talc from here ??

I like the look of that Russell,fox terrier type.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

could some one come on here and honestly say they actually saw a kerry work either in a stop end or in any situation where true gameness was visible ..from all the people ive mixed with over the years,none...AND I MEAN NOT ONE ...has ever seen a decent kerry blue ..i saw a vid of a kerry put up against a wheaten in the box way back in the late 70's and the kerry didnt last 2 minutes(literally) the wheaten was taken from the kerry ,which i might add was screaming for mercy and as soon as the kerry was released it jumped the wall..i dont think a blue was ever used for anything other than a few rats and murdering things on top of the soil and probably in company too,,their know to be man biters,good guard dogs and BAD  with small children..... i await the onslaught lol

For fucks sake Jigsaw, it's bad enough ye shot and killed (not you personally, your fellow county men) the owner of a famous Kerry Blue terrier but you then come on here and burst the bubble of all those who think that the Kerry Blue might have been an other legendary Irish breed of terrier.

Shame.

• Haha 1

poor oul michael got a raw deal for sure ,as for his dog(of which i never heard of) what was he famous for?...id hazard a guess it wasnt vermin control anyway lol..how the fuk did these silly rumours start anyway ,ive dug with some very well known terrier men in years gone by and went up and down the country meeting lots of good (and at times not so good )terrier lads and none..NOT ONE ...ever had even a partially bred blue ,,and believe me if they could have crossed crocodiles with dogs to make better workers ,these guys would have gone to the four corners of the country to get them...i cant say for certain there were none but id be confident you wouldnt find 2 lol...even at the trials where the creme of the dog world accumulated,in the short time i attended them,i dont ever remeber hearing of or seeing one there...to me thats proof enough they were second class shite

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Had a pair of them years ago the dog just want to fight and wasn't much good at it either the bitch would  work cover and mark holes  ragg at the end. Had to get shut of started  making strange when the wife was pregnant 

• Thanks 1

Was there not a very well known black dog with a suspicion of blue dog in his make up? Sure i read that somewhere? ? 

Thing is, these days the kerry blue aint nothing like the original. Been a long time since they began breeding them more for the ring, than for work, so not surprising that they aint good for shit. But surely back in the day, they had their uses? I mean, those dogs in the video clip sure weren't bred for their looks lol

Edited by EDDIE B

eddie we can presume they were off shoots of the irish rough or wheaten terrier type,..they probably had their uses but in fairness,even the older ones in that film never went to ground ,and probably were not bred to either,,basic vermin controllers and guard dogs..to give them the benefit of the doubt we will for prosperity sake declare they were good for some form of hunting ,,but even the wheaten had a great deal of bull terrier blood added to give them that extra ooomph and keep them top of the tree at their task,,the kerry blue never had i would think which is why they slipped down the evolutionary ladder to what they are today thanks to the kennel clubs of the world..thats my opinion anyway..cant say im right but i believe they should not be considered or looked upon as being a working type dog for the last 100 years ..

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Carlovian said:

I doubt any of the show Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers would work either , both breeds have being bred for nothing but showing , 

which is why the dedicated wheaten fans kept adding english bull and pit bul blood to the breed to keep em mean and keen i believe

44 minutes ago, wipeout said:

Had a pair of them years ago the dog just want to fight and wasn't much good at it either the bitch would  work cover and mark holes  ragg at the end. Had to get shut of started  making strange when the wife was pregnant 

nuff said ?

7 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

eddie we can presume they were off shoots of the irish rough or wheaten terrier type,..they probably had their uses but in fairness,even the older ones in that film never went to ground ,and probably were not bred to either,,basic vermin controllers and guard dogs..to give them the benefit of the doubt we will for prosperity sake declare they were good for some form of hunting ,,but even the wheaten had a great deal of bull terrier blood added to give them that extra ooomph and keep them top of the tree at their task,,the kerry blue never had i would think which is why they slipped down the evolutionary ladder to what they are today thanks to the kennel clubs of the world..thats my opinion anyway..cant say im right but i believe they should not be considered or looked upon as being a working type dog for the last 100 years ..

Jigsaw i agree with a lot of what your saying. I honestly dont know a whole lot about the history of the Kerry Blue, but reccon they had their uses in their day. I mean, look at the Lakeland today. Very few considder them a working breed, or keep working Lakelands in their yard compared to only recent history.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Met a lad at a show years ago that had 1st cross Kerry greyhound that told me the dog was a demon on foxes, I took his statement with a massive pinch of salt.

Might have been good on foxes, seen pure greys that were good.What I know they were all round farm dogs and vermin killers,I don.t think they were ever expected to be die hard earth dogs,and guarding,human aggression was part of their job.

• Like 1

There is a fair bit of info out there showing that they were working up until the 40-50's, they were used for a variety of functions and on a variety of game. As already been touched on here, i wonder, had the kerry had been infused with bull blood as the wheaten & glen were, wether the breed would be in a better state today.