It's giving me arm ache

Alright you lot, before you get your dirty joke books out, I mean my rifle! Honestly, I don't know if it's cause I work a soft hand office job that's made me weak, Or if it's just because the flippin' thing is just to damn heavy, but I just cannot seem to shoulder my rifle for any length of time without knackering my arms and shoulders. according to specs it's 8.8lb unscoped which seems about right. However it definitely seems that once i've got my NV on top and my IR torch and what not, the thing could happily be used as an anchor for an aircraft carrier. 

I'm looking into getting a new rifle but ideally something with a synth stock to reduce the overall weight. It will be my dedicated NV rifle set up but I was hoping for some opinions. At the moment i'm considering the BSA r10, the HW100 t or the BSA Ultra SE. 

As I say, it will mostly be a dedicated night rifle so if you have any other suggestions they would be appreciated. Cheers.

ATB

Smithy

8 minutes ago, ArchieHood said:

What you have my friend is a medical term called Noodle Arms, a trip to the gym would sort it.The only other option is to buy a catapult and mould all of them pellets into slingshot ammo.................?

?????

All joking aside, you probably have got the above mentioned noodle arms, but, it is a pretty heavy set up, nv adds a heap of weight as well, did you ever get a battery pack as that scope has four batts in it........

Half the problem, is not just the weight, it's the balance, your gun feels front heavy to me, a heavy gun can be fine if it's got a good balance to it, take my hw100 for example, I changed the silencer and cylinder, it's still not a light gun (in comparison to an ultra) but the balance is excellent, it's transferred the weight into the shoulder so feels a lot lighter than it actually is.

get rid of those batteries and build/buy a pack to slip in your pocket, doesn't sound a lot but it makes hell of a difference.

come see me one day, we can try it out on a few of mine to give you a feel for how much difference it will make for you before you start laying out money.

Or you could go down the bull pup route.?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Rabid said:

Half the problem, is not just the weight, it's the balance, your gun feels front heavy to me, a heavy gun can be fine if it's got a good balance to it, take my hw100 for example, I changed the silencer and cylinder, it's still not a light gun (in comparison to an ultra) but the balance is excellent, it's transferred the weight into the shoulder so feels a lot lighter than it actually is.

get rid of those batteries and build/buy a pack to slip in your pocket, doesn't sound a lot but it makes hell of a difference.

come see me one day, we can try it out on a few of mine to give you a feel for how much difference it will make for you before you start laying out money.

Or you could go down the bull pup route.?

nice one, sounds good to me. I have been meaning to put the battery pack together and I think you are right, it's quite front heavy to say the least. I definitely think a better balance on it could help. 

Bull pup is definitely a route i'm considering, although I'm tempted to wait till I get a FAC and go the FAC route on a bull pup. I'm not sure though, it's a tough one. I am definitely a sufferer of the fatal Noodle arm epidemic. I will get the weights out and get to work ?

• Like 1

I am even worse than you Mark................................a retired office softy. Even with a bulpup, the weight of some NV systems work against you but depending on what type of shooting you do, I can really recommend the Primos, trigger stick tripod. Easy enough to walk around with and offers a superb rest for the weight of your kit giving you a really stable base.

I can tell you there are loads of guys who have bought them and now would never go shooting without them, me included.

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/primos-trigger-stick-gen-2-tripod-316957.html

or

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/primos-trigger-stick-gen-3-tall-tripod-s16462.html

Phil

• Like 1
On 09/05/2018 at 17:02, philpot said:

I am even worse than you Mark................................a retired office softy. Even with a bulpup, the weight of some NV systems work against you but depending on what type of shooting you do, I can really recommend the Primos, trigger stick tripod. Easy enough to walk around with and offers a superb rest for the weight of your kit giving you a really stable base.

I can tell you there are loads of guys who have bought them and now would never go shooting without them, me included.

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/primos-trigger-stick-gen-2-tripod-316957.html

or

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/primos-trigger-stick-gen-3-tall-tripod-s16462.html

Phil

i agree with Phil, i have damaged elbows due to  quite a lot of accidents on motorcycles

when younger   racing motorcycles  i might add  ,so i shoot all my guns from tripod trigger sticks especially my NV scopes  ,my primos sticks best buy i ever made imo!!!!

atb brian

• Like 3

I`ve been singing the praises about Primos shooting sticks for a long time now.

They help accuracy greatly, as do telescopic sights, bi pods etc, etc and for me, any shooting lad should own them.

Static hunting or ambush hunting they totally excel as well as walkabout

The heavier your rifle is " the better" on the Primos sticks for steady, accurate shot placement.

No more noodle arms.

IMG_0812.JPG.7ee75d3e3c70268a6a79dd2f55e2001a.JPG

atb  Mark.