HW99s Imp / Opinions Please

Hi all ?

I was just wondering If any of you guys have any experience or knowledge regarding the HW99s Imp. This Is the rifle that Is especially tuned by Tony at Sandwell Field Sports, West Bromwich. I am thinking of buying one after watching many good videos regarding accuracy and overall rifle Improvement once the tuning has been carried out, 

Atb

John ?

Edited by mjr88

Not bad mate. Had my own and had Toms for a month or so and it was mint... More so for the pointablilty. SFS Tuning is all a bit smoke and mirrors to be honest, I think anyway, and perhaps they've kinda run there course a bit. However, shooters like yourself are still interested so thats a good thing for them. They're kinda expensive for what they are... I reckon a decent home tune would just be as good for a fraction of the price. 

Overall, the little 99's are superb. Bit of barrel chopping, UNF threaded, job done. But yeah, defiantly recommend one. 

Is the waiting list still as long do you know? Out of interest. 

Thanks for the swift reply Rez.

I actually phoned up the shop yesterday to Inquire about what's what. They said that I need to add £120 on to the price of any rifle to have the Tuning carried out. And as for the waiting list, I couldn't believe It to be honest, about 5 months ?  I just fancy a low recoil springer that doesn't weigh a ton and won't cost the earth either, and this rifle certainly seems to fit the bill.

Atb,

John ?

Edited by mjr88

I have one and yes it is nice but I shot a .22 99s which had been home tuned and imo that was just as good if not better than the imp .

A few on here will help you with a home tuned gun , like Si brown  , charley caller,  tom and a few others  or even send it of to them . That is what I would do 

• Like 1

Rez and villaman are spot on with what they have said.. a 5 month wait for something that takes a couple of hours is rediculas!

if your pretty handy with tools it’s an easy job to do and you’ll save money to, there are loads of vids on YouTube but toms 99 post on what he did is spot on and you won’t go far wrong following it. 

Loads of lads on here can help you out if you get stuck and any back street garage or engineering works will thread the barrel for a few quid. 

Diy?

• Like 1

I would buy a new standard one and do a bit of reaserch and give it a good diy Polish and relube with a nicely fitted drop in kit and vortek piston seal.  I have had great results with wonky donky drop in kits that was on par/better than an imp.

If you have yours screw cut and shorten the barrel put a .177 wonky donky drop in kit in your .22 and it brings the power back up close to the 12 ftlbs limit.

They are a dream to work on! So simple. 

• Like 1

See what I mean , some good lads to help .

Go down that route and buy a standard 99s  and if I am right sfs do not sort the main  problem of the 99 and that is the galling  

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies and advice lads. Unfortunately though I am not handy at all with this kind of thing, or any other kind of DIY for that matter. My wife even has to put together any flat pack furniture that we buy. In fact, I can't even understand the Instructions most of the time ?  Anyway, I have not decided yet what I'm going to do about the HW99s, but when I do I'll let you all know,

Atb,

John ?

Edited by mjr88

It really is not that hard (or expensive) to tune a 99 and make it just as good or better than an imp, but it needs to be in .22 really to get the best out of them, you could send it me and I will do it for you, or have a go yourself and myself and others on here will talk you through it and offer any help along the way.

• Like 1

I can`t speak much on tuning mjr as I`m no gunsmith either, what I can say is that I sent just one of my springers, a TX 200 HC MK3 .177 off to The Rat Works and the gun came back as a superb rifle to own.

However mjr, the one thing that makes an incredible difference to  "ALL" rifles accuracy, spring rifles especially ( for me) is, -

Lots of practice.

I`ve just treated myself to a Pro Sport .177 and as far as I am concerned , at the moment, she`s staying untouched.

IMG_1008.JPG.c47b4988669a5d39aad4ccba575c5106.JPG

Good Luck,

Mark.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, charlie caller said:

It really is not that hard (or expensive) to tune a 99 and make it just as good or better than an imp, but it needs to be in .22 really to get the best out of them, you could send it me and I will do it for you, or have a go yourself and myself and others on here will talk you through it and offer any help along the way.

Thanks for the offer bud, I might take you up on that offer sometime ? Could you tell me though who I could use to transport the rifle should I ever decide to post It off somewhere. I have recently phoned a couple of transport companies to Inquire about how much It would cost to send, and they all said the same thing that they don't touch anything gun related. I also read somewhere that when you post off an air rifle  you have to separate  the stock  from the action,  Is this true,

John ?

Edited by mjr88
8 minutes ago, mjr88 said:

Thanks for the offer bud, I might take you up on that offer sometime ? Could you tell me though who I could use to transport the rifle should I ever decide to post It off somewhere. I have recently phoned a couple of transport companies to Inquire about how much It would cost to send, and they all said the same thing that they don't touch anything gun related. I also read somewhere that when you post off an air rifle  you have to separate  the stock  from the action,  Is this true,

John ?

Parcelforce 48