4" Roller. Decorators/Anyone help please?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hate decorating. 

My Mrs did the same . Only years later I realised it was a ploy to make me take over the decorating 

35yrs under the belt , surprising how many people say they'd hate to have my job , I personally enjoy it , for some reason I hate working on my own house though I do it , 1 job I admire is ground work

35yrs under the belt , surprising how many people say they'd hate to have my job , I personally enjoy it , for some reason I hate working on my own house though I do it , 1 job I admire is ground workers , it's not classed as a trade but I believe a good ground worker is as important as any tradesman !! 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, lanesra said:

Forgot to add If your using a roller make sure you lay it off with a brush ?

That was always the plan, just sick of rollers apparently designed exactly for this job and paint, depositing their hairs, actually tried a sponge roller today but seems to lay to much paint!

This should be a simple and quick job, but its not turning out that way!:no:

12 hours ago, Deker said:

That was always the plan, just sick of rollers apparently designed exactly for this job and paint, depositing their hairs, actually tried a sponge roller today but seems to lay to much paint!

This should be a simple and quick job, but its not turning out that way!:no:

Your not married to navek are you, this is starting to sound like a bad tradesman blaming the tools' if there's to much paint just stop dipping it in the pot and work the paint into the door a bit more, with good gloss and a good sponge roller you should be able to get an almost spray finish, 

46 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Your not married to navek are you, this is starting to sound like a bad tradesman blaming the tools' if there's to much paint just stop dipping it in the pot and work the paint into the door a bit more, with good gloss and a good sponge roller you should be able to get an almost spray finish, 

Do you seriously think I didn't work the paint, it is essential to work the paint on this type of door, however much you apply, due to the depth of the grain, or the finish will be appalling.   If I was a bad tradesman do you think I would give a toss about the finish?

I have always brushed this type of door and the result has been brilliant but time consuming, on the basis I now have a whole house full of doors to do I decided to try the roller and brush method for speed of application.

I just want a roller that does what it says, having to rub the doors down to get rid of the hairs is frustrating and taking me far more time overall than simply painting them completely with a brush.

14 hours ago, lanesra said:

35yrs under the belt , surprising how many people say they'd hate to have my job , I personally enjoy it , for some reason I hate working on my own house though I do it , 1 job I admire is ground workers , it's not classed as a trade but I believe a good ground worker is as important as any tradesman !! 

our job is the best.......at 4.30....going home time lol

7 minutes ago, Deker said:

Do you seriously think I didn't work the paint, it is essential to work the paint on this type of door, however much you apply, due to the depth of the grain, or the finish will be appalling.   If I was a bad tradesman do you think I would give a toss about the finish?

I have always brushed this type of door and the result has been brilliant but time consuming, on the basis I now have a whole house full of doors to do I decided to try the roller and brush method for speed of application.

I just want a roller that does what it says, having to rub the doors down to get rid of the hairs is frustrating and taking me far more time overall than simply painting them completely with a brush.

Honestly mate, you've just answered your own question :yes:

I'd forget the roller and stick with a good quality brush. Yes, it'll take longer but, the finish will be better.

Also, as it's your own house, you can just do 1 or 2 at a time, as time allows.

...... They'll all be finished soon enough :thumbs:

15 minutes ago, Deker said:

Settle down the doors look absolutely lovely from my house ?

• Haha 1

A 4” sponge or mohair dogs dick will be what you’re looking for mate. Give the mohair a good swill under the tap first.

OB or WB paint also makes a difference. Failing that give me or lansera loads of money and we’ll bring em up like mirrors. Lol

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, mattyg said:

A 4” sponge or mohair dogs dick will be what you’re looking for mate. Give the mohair a good swill under the tap first.

OB or WB paint also makes a difference. Failing that give me or lansera loads of money and we’ll bring em up like mirrors. Lol

Mohair dogs dick?

• Like 1