how times have changed

You need to get out more DD, times have changed I'll grant you that but there's still good lads coming through and IMO there's plenty of exceptional terriers in the country in far greater numbers than ever before.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You need to get out more DD, times have changed I'll grant you that but there's still good lads coming through and IMO there's plenty of exceptional terriers in the country in far greater numbers than

Can we reinstate the seperate forum for bushers and Morton . Without the internet I wouldn't have travelled no where near as much as I have through lads on here and other forums .Wouldn't have pl

A son of nuttalls miner

Posted Images

Don’t really see anyone these days,tend to hunt on my own,most of my old mates have gone or given up,I’m glad to hear that there’s good uns out there,maybe just not for me,I no longer move in those circles,but I’m happy for those that do,as for getting more,well that’s another story,my family think I should stay in more,not going to happen,keep the faith,DD

• Like 1

Laws have changed, people terriers and game haven't, there's more good dogs available because there's more dogs same with people. Technology has changed which has enabled us to use a different type of worker and breed from them but they've always been  there.

• Like 1

loads of good dogs and good lads keeping them finding lads with same blood easy these days creates good alliances and breedings what whuld of never been made all that much easier we have the internet to thank for that and dare I say it mostly Facebook cos u paranoid old fuckers on here whuldet give a door a bang never mind a lineing ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When I was young my old man dug alot  his best stud wasn't his best dog on the yard  Billy was is stud a well bred dog but he just seem to click and produce far better than himself and a lot of others in the area at the time  but no lining took place until he had seen the bitch work a few times and never ever was money involved or talked about  i know a few bitches were knocked back which didn't sit well at the time 

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's no better or worse now we have gready fuckers mad looking for a quick pound and we have good terriermen who do what's right. It' just human nature we can portray it what ever way we need it too be but it's all Bullshit. Times have changed but not for the better, as time goes on our sport weakens and the media  is changing it' s black and white print on us . Unfortunately in my eyes it' a diplomatI cal matter now to an extent we can't change it, it' the modern era.

Edited by howdeeposxxt

Times have changed in lot of ways for people who genuine working there dogs . One young man i know only bothers with 3 lads because he won't get involved with no one who ask him out and with respect to him , how right he is and he just does things the right way and no bullshit. Another man i know genuine, only bother with about 5 people, again they just keep themselves to themselves, and care about there dogs and hunting.   Quite a minority really but that's how it goes 

Times have changed for the worse in the last few decades,the tinternet will be the ruination of hunting,to many chancers,egos and feckwits gain their reputation on the web.The dogs about now,terriers and lurchers could not live with the dogs about in the 60,s 70,s and 80,s.Shite was once culled,now its bred to something else,bull comes to mind,to enhance what the parent lacked.Bigger is better in terriers,slower and dumber is better with lurchers,the box and collar rescue many a terrier lad now and a 4x4 driven on land rescues many a 3rd rate lurcher.A decent bred lurcher or terrier would be lost on the majority now and thats a fact.There are many decent young uns coming through that are better huntsmen-women than their elders and i think its a crying shame they don,t have the strength in depth of canines from the not to distant past and have to work under the restraints of the ban.Ive nothing but admiration for the elders now that refuse to sink to modern levels and the decent youngsters that refuse to bow to the political climate we live in.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, morton said:

Times have changed for the worse in the last few decades,the tinternet will be the ruination of hunting,to many chancers,egos and feckwits gain their reputation on the web.The dogs about now,terriers and lurchers could not live with the dogs about in the 60,s 70,s and 80,s.Shite was once culled,now its bred to something else,bull comes to mind,to enhance what the parent lacked.Bigger is better in terriers,slower and dumber is better with lurchers,the box and collar rescue many a terrier lad now and a 4x4 driven on land rescues many a 3rd rate lurcher.A decent bred lurcher or terrier would be lost on the majority now and thats a fact.There are many decent young uns coming through that are better huntsmen-women than their elders and i think its a crying shame they don,t have the strength in depth of canines from the not to distant past and have to work under the restraints of the ban.Ive nothing but admiration for the elders now that refuse to sink to modern levels and the decent youngsters that refuse to bow to the political climate we live in.

Changed for the worst? Really? I think you're way off the mark. There's always idiots passing through this game, nothing can be done about that. But I'm pretty sure there was one or two undercover documentaries in the 80s that didn't bode too well for our sport? The world is a much smaller place now and it's a lot easier to figure out the clowns, plus there's plenty of books and information around now that helps young terrier owners in the basic principles of terrierwork, one dog at a time etc. 

What was available in the 80s? Plummer and his bullshit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

Changed for the worst? Really? I think you're way off the mark. There's always idiots passing through this game, nothing can be done about that. But I'm pretty sure there was one or two undercover documentaries in the 80s that didn't bode too well for our sport? The world is a much smaller place now and it's a lot easier to figure out the clowns, plus there's plenty of books and information around now that helps young terrier owners in the basic principles of terrierwork, one dog at a time etc. 

What was available in the 80s? Plummer and his bullshit.

When you start needing books and the tinternet to further your hunting knowledge then i fecking despair and realise the games more fecked than i wish to accept.