how times have changed

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You need to get out more DD, times have changed I'll grant you that but there's still good lads coming through and IMO there's plenty of exceptional terriers in the country in far greater numbers than

Can we reinstate the seperate forum for bushers and Morton . Without the internet I wouldn't have travelled no where near as much as I have through lads on here and other forums .Wouldn't have pl

A son of nuttalls miner

Posted Images

With the invention of the net its probably easier these days to contact folks in regards to sourcing a lining/pups.... Back in the day not everyone had a phone so you wrote to the person or checked the classifieds etc.... There's probably more folks driven buy money these days than say 30 yrs ago...... And more of a minefield for folks looking for genuine workers. There's always been wrong uns evolved in dogs..... I'd say more so these days imo. Some folks always seem to have litters on the ground these days.... Breeding from sub standard dogs and selling lads a dream?

• Like 10

I think little has changed I am 53 and can remember getting my first lurcher in 1984 £35 exchange & mart! The 1980s were a boom time for lurcher & terrier shows and working/ show lurcher & terriers went for daft money then,there were folks in it for the money just like today and it will never change,there’s been breeds lost but also new types on the scene,what’s changed today is image and tough talk which spoils things abit for me but overall things aren’t too bad.

• Like 2

I think years ago selling dogs or paying for studs was a lot more accepted by terrier men men that dug there dogs . Nobody seemed to bat an eyelid if you wanted to sell spare pups or stud a dog . I know there’s still a lot of men that sell dogs nowadays but it does seem more frowned upon today . Where selling dogs is concerned I think we might be guilty of looking through rose tinted glasses . 

• Like 2

I love the romanticism of the good old days, but if we're honest, a lot of bullshit was spouted about dogs and there was no one there to disprove it or tell the truth. I think in this day and age of internet etc, the bullshitters are soon found out etc and the terriers are all the better for it IMO. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

my first patterdale was 40 quid out exchange and mart 1988 i bought me first car ford sierra 1.8 lx out the same issue for 375 costly week with me first few month wages lol

buying dogs like buying from a business these days won’t be long until you get a receit and guarentee well maybe not a guarentee pmsl

• Like 1
On 08/05/2018 at 11:46, Peter Leemooch said:

my first patterdale was 40 quid out exchange and mart 1988 i bought me first car ford sierra 1.8 lx out the same issue for 375 costly week with me first few month wages lol

buying dogs like buying from a business these days won’t be long until you get a receit and guarentee well maybe not a guarentee pmsl

Sierra now are holding good money my old man had for sierra's and capri's in them days sold for few hundred now £1000's 

I think with the hunting act coming in,a lot of good lads gave up,no real dog boys coming on,and if they were it were kept quiet,gone are the days when you could say to a few boys we are going for a dig meet you Saturday,i don’t think the quality of working terrier exist like it used to,old boys would meet at a show,not to win a ribbon but to catch up with others,see what pups were about,talk about how young dogs were getting on,the net has a lot to answer for,as old boys I’d look forward to going to a certain show,just to see folks I hadn’t seen all year,yes time has changed.