Harris hawk flying age

tenbob

Was reading a few posts about the train and flying of Harris hawk and wondered at what age would you fly your bird up to .I have a mate who as a Harris at 17 years but he says the bird not as responsive whilst reducing it's weight. Would the methods of training change on a older bird or would a bird of this age be simply retired. 

I know of several people flying their hawks well into their twenty's. I would personally fly them until they die, there is no need to retire your hawk if they didn't hunt in the wild they would die. As regards the bird not responding, this is a never ending process anyway. The birds weight should be adjusted due to its response. If it is getting older maybe its muscle consistency/tone isn't what it was, therefore an adjustment could be tried.

I know mate she is a beuty and has been well looked after and hunted regularly,she still gets out 3 times a week,my mate will be gutted when she does go he is so close to her

• Like 1