Neo-Prohibition? (1st May in Scotland)

5 hours ago, Gav said:

Just been talking to my mate who owns a shop at the end of the road, and he wont be affected, its the supermarkets that will feel the brunt of it. His price marked spirits £14.49 etc fall within the limits, 26 units = £13, the only thing going up really is cheap high alcohol, as said before £4 will become £11, drinkers will still drink no matter what, like us smokers, they tax tobacco to high hell, but we still smoke. The tax then pays for our chemo, before ya start moaning.

So I'm cracking open the gin early as its my birthday soon, chin chin old beans :drinks: 

So the rich alkies up there who can afford to get pished up on the good stuff will remain unaffected.. Sounds more like snobbery/cultural cringe to me. "We won't ever be taken seriously unless we can get the poor off the drink." 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they want to change the culture (and boozing in Scotland is a cultural thing just like Ireland) then they should follow England’s example and import 98 million Muslims !  Things like this are

Most of the SNP followers are all the alkie c**ts and drug addicts also a fair few on disability. Deluded in thinking if the SNP get independence there benefits are going to double overnight and there

Alkies will still be getting pissed just means less money for food for the kid's.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Malt said:

So the rich alkies up there who can afford to get pished up on the good stuff will remain unaffected.. Sounds more like snobbery/cultural cringe to me. "We won't ever be taken seriously unless we can get the poor off the drink." 

Seems mad to me a bottle of spirit is the same price as a bottle of strong cider now, madness at its finest. 

• Like 2

What about export isn't that going to hurt the industry. 

They already blocked fracking which would have created jobs and boost the economy. Won't be happy till were all out of jobs. Maybe that's the plan as I said there voters are mainly unemployed. 

1 hour ago, Malt said:

Takes away one's freedom to cheaply self-medicate and doesn't even attempt to fix the hypocrisy of booze on MP's expenses.

1 minute ago, scothunter said:

What about export isn't that going to hurt the industry. 

Any idea what the ratio is, Scot? Domestic consumption to export consumption? Our local offy is well stocked with goodies from the old country and I don't see that changing any time soon.

IF you live in coldstream will you by your booze in cornhill or has this scots government found away to trade across the border   maybe they should give some tips to the brexit folk  on sorting out  Irelands borders 

I was in the wee corner shop this morning and he was repricing White Lightening from £3.59 To £11 .50 he was nearly crying the jackies wont be able to afford it now . 

Both my kids work for wetherspoons and there already  dictated to compared to england the managers can only discount prices on food no drink as the weather spoons in england can do , But my main fear is the three biggest tax  gathers for any budget is Fuel , cigarettes and drink If more folk give up drink hows wee jimmy krankie going to raise taxes in the budgets ??>

10 minutes ago, The one said:

I was in the wee corner shop this morning and he was repricing White Lightening from £3.59 To £11 .50 he was nearly crying the jackies wont be able to afford it now . 

Both my kids work for wetherspoons and there already  dictated to compared to england the managers can only discount prices on food no drink as the weather spoons in england can do , But my main fear is the three biggest tax  gathers for any budget is Fuel , cigarettes and drink If more folk give up drink hows wee jimmy krankie going to raise taxes in the budgets ??>

Red diesel. Latvian Lambert and Butler. French Kronenburg.

All these tax hikes didn't eliminate the problem they just enshrined tax avoidance completely by pushing the issue underground. You'll see an initial rise in the tax collected while the populous adjust but then a drop off as they figure out the cheapest way to acquire it. I wouldn't be surprised to see HMRC checkpoints appearing in border towns in the next couple of years, to be honest.

Long-term there will be tax rises to offset the revenue that they'll lose to the black market. You can't snoop in other people's lives without a fat government payroll. You can't have a war on alcohol without a dedicated police presence.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, WILF said:

Never fear, there’s always skag ! Lol 

They'd be better off legalising it and taxing it but this is the government we're talking about. If you put them in charge of the Sahara desert they'd run out of sand in 5 years.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Blackbriar said:

Some of the famous US moonshiners have gone legal over the years.

Today's interesting fact - you can't drink Jack Daniels in the town where it's made !

Not quite true. You can drink it, just not buy it or sell it. I went on the tour of the distillery a few years back and tried quite a few different ones. :thumbs:

Yours sincerely, Captain Pedantic. 

8 hours ago, Gav said:

Just been talking to my mate who owns a shop at the end of the road, and he wont be affected, its the supermarkets that will feel the brunt of it. His price marked spirits £14.49 etc fall within the limits, 26 units = £13, the only thing going up really is cheap high alcohol, as said before £4 will become £11, drinkers will still drink no matter what, like us smokers, they tax tobacco to high hell, but we still smoke. The tax then pays for our chemo, before ya start moaning.

So I'm cracking open the gin early as its my birthday soon, chin chin old beans :drinks: 

I smoke roll ups and haven't bought a legitimate pouch of baccy for donkeys so fcuk it the state can pay for my healthcare. ??

• Like 3