The last eley hawk 36g #3.

I bought from Bates of Stafford a dozen years ago two box of eley hawk 36g #3 and every one has dropped with authority what ever I pointed them at!

Tonight at 35 paces my last one flattened a Vixen, not even a twitch. 

I found this active earth yesterday. Cubs tomorrow.

I must be getting old. I did not enjoy this tonight!

IMG_20180430_205000538_LL.jpg

U.

• Like 2

Sometimes it’s work and needs must ..always difficult at this time of the year ..since the small Shoot shut down on my boundary I’ve not bothered to shoot the foxes in the garden as it seems a bit pointless . Our chicken are behind electric and Charlie can do night shift on the rabbits for me ...I may live to regret it I know .

• Like 3

A good job done, I don’t tend to shoot fox this time of year, but will if they are a problem, I will only shoot them if I know where the earth is, I don’t take any pleasure in killing cubs this way, for me I like nothing better than sitting up on a late July evening taking care of a full family that are been a complete pest as only a fox can ?

Hang on for a mo, that musket ain't a front stuffer.  You ain't been converted to the modern era of smokeless cartridges have you?  Anyway if that cartridge was the last  that you have got, get on out and buy some more always assuming that anyone still makes a lead #3 since the ban on lead wildfowling loads.  Failing that reload.  When the lead nonsense happened I laid in a bit of stock in #3 and BB.

or contact Eley.  https://www.eleyhawkltd.com/where-to-buy

I just had a look at the lists on a well known cartridge supplier and the only thing that fits the bill  on that site is Gamebore Buffalo. A bit pricey at £13.65 a box but you don't use many and if charlie is doing a lot of damage then it  isn't expensive.  it might be cheaper to put down a tin or two of dog food a day so they don't have to get up to bad things so much.  but it's their nature.

12g BUFFALO 70 1400 36 P BB,4,5,6 £384.00 £199.50 £109.00 £12.20
12g BUFFALO 70 1375 42 P 3 £429.00 £224.75 £122.00 £13.65
53 minutes ago, Meece said:

Hang on for a mo, that musket ain't a front stuffer.  You ain't been converted to the modern era of smokeless cartridges have you?  Anyway if that cartridge was the last  that you have got, get on out and buy some more always assuming that anyone still makes a lead #3 since the ban on lead wildfowling loads.  Failing that reload.  When the lead nonsense happened I laid in a bit of stock in #3 and BB.

or contact Eley.  https://www.eleyhawkltd.com/where-to-buy

I just had a look at the lists on a well known cartridge supplier and the only thing that fits the bill  on that site is Gamebore Buffalo. A bit pricey at £13.65 a box but you don't use many and if charlie is doing a lot of damage then it  isn't expensive.  it might be cheaper to put down a tin or two of dog food a day so they don't have to get up to bad things so much.  but it's their nature.

12g BUFFALO 70 1400 36 P BB,4,5,6 £384.00 £199.50 £109.00 £12.20
12g BUFFALO 70 1375 42 P 3 £429.00 £224.75 £122.00 £13.65

You underestimate me my friend.

I shoot modern rubbish yes but my heart is for a reliable front stuffer.

The first evening I waited by the earth was with a Bess with 12 .375" balls loaded!

A gentleman enters via the front, heathens force their way via the rear!

Eley still do a lead #3.

I plenty of Hull products in #4 in stock. I like #4 also for Charlie.

It is rare I use a shot gun for fox today. Only if I know it's going to be close is a rifle left at home. And if the home office was not such a pain the rifle would be a .45 patched ball rifle!

U.

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, andyf said:

Whatever!

For myself; I never shoot Fox when there's cubs in the ground, not getting sentimental for sure.

But that's me. Do what you want but I sleep easy.

Whatever!

Just what do you shoot through spring and summer AndyF?

• Like 1

Again Whatever:

Not being critical, not judging anyone else, you should and must do your own thing.

In this time frame I don't shoot anything living, Fox comes in about July when this years are hunting for themselves & therefore impinging

on 'my territory' then they are 22.250 fodder.

But please don't get on one, your way is YOUR WAY mine is a bit different, but at the end of the day we are both at it!

Best of luck!!

AndyF 

• Like 1