Again some interesting points raised. The scatterbred scenario I agree, line breeding is the way to go, yet as stated above it has to start somewhere. The man didn’t ask for any particular dog, but there’s one here that is a cousin to his bitch. I’m not sure he knows that, so I’ll inform him and see what he says. It’s entirely up to himself he’s welcome to whatever one he wants. I’m not one for telling people what to do but if they ask my opinion I’ll give him my honest one and say what I’d be inclined to use if I was in his position, but the choice is his at the end of the day. I’m don’t want anything for the service or a pup but I’ll run it by him if there’s any surplus stock to run it by me incase I might know someone interested in one come the time. Who knows if he uses the dog that’s related and they turn out well. I could be stuck in a few years time for something similar to use so I could always call that favour back in. One good turn deserves another. Folk have been good to me over the years and only for them I’d have nothing, so I can’t see why I shouldn’t help someone out that is maybe in a position I was once in at one stage or another. 

On a different note and I know everyone’s different but anything I ever paid for turned out useless anything I’ve ever had that was decent was gifted so the buying in stopped a long time ago with me. In some circumstances I can see it’s the only way you can get certain blood off certain men. Thing that makes me laugh is a lot of them men are the first ones that have something to bitch about when someone else has or decides to sell a spare pup or two. Can’t please everyone that’s for sure. Atb

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Again some interesting points raised. The scatterbred scenario I agree, line breeding is the way to go, yet as stated above it has to start somewhere. The man didn’t ask for any particular dog, but th

There is a man who commented on this post who has some great blood in his yard any man would be proud of... he gifts pups out.. I have a bitch here he gifted me six years ago..1 of the best workers iv

The guy is looking pups for himself out of his bitch over a decent dog. As long as the pups aren’t sold on and are worked it wouldn’t annoy me in the slightest. Can see some good points from the comme

Posted Images

7 hours ago, THE GENERAL said:

Again some interesting points raised. The scatterbred scenario I agree, line breeding is the way to go, yet as stated above it has to start somewhere. The man didn’t ask for any particular dog, but there’s one here that is a cousin to his bitch. I’m not sure he knows that, so I’ll inform him and see what he says. It’s entirely up to himself he’s welcome to whatever one he wants. I’m not one for telling people what to do but if they ask my opinion I’ll give him my honest one and say what I’d be inclined to use if I was in his position, but the choice is his at the end of the day. I’m don’t want anything for the service or a pup but I’ll run it by him if there’s any surplus stock to run it by me incase I might know someone interested in one come the time. Who knows if he uses the dog that’s related and they turn out well. I could be stuck in a few years time for something similar to use so I could always call that favour back in. One good turn deserves another. Folk have been good to me over the years and only for them I’d have nothing, so I can’t see why I shouldn’t help someone out that is maybe in a position I was once in at one stage or another. 

On a different note and I know everyone’s different but anything I ever paid for turned out useless anything I’ve ever had that was decent was gifted so the buying in stopped a long time ago with me. In some circumstances I can see it’s the only way you can get certain blood off certain men. Thing that makes me laugh is a lot of them men are the first ones that have something to bitch about when someone else has or decides to sell a spare pup or two. Can’t please everyone that’s for sure. Atb

Very well said General, maybe it's where we're from, maybe it's the circles we mix in I don't know. But round here we never forget our roots & definitely look after each other. "Money never comes into it"....long may it last!?

Edited by Kaiser Sozé
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A few years ago I found myself in a situation where I went from having a few dogs to nothing !  in a short period of time through Old age young uns spewing basaicslly I was on me arse . Then a I got giving a pup by a man that’s on here that I’ve still got today . Without the generosity of that man and another man that’s on here I wouldn’t have f**k all . 

If it was me yeah I’d give them a breeding 

• Like 7
13 hours ago, jiggy said:

Fair enough you paid for it but even young lads starting out now would be happy to pay for it but can't get the opportunity to buy it.  What becomes of our sport if the breeding dies with the men that claim it's their line. Does it just fizzle out. Most lads that claim to not give out or sell stuff have already spread out their breeding to the four winds and mostly for money. It's easy shut up shop when it's already out there. How many proper experienced men have never let anything leave their yard, genuinely i would say very very few.

That was in the beginning I paid and the two studs i paid for afterwards I started line breeding I gifted pups to my friends and  i used to sell a pup to someone I didn't know  if they proved themyself trust worthy they never paid for another, I haven't bred a litter for 11 years so the 5 pups I've had since then where gifted back ......would I give a pup to a stranger I doubt it these days 

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Glyn..... said:

That was in the beginning I paid and the two studs i paid for afterwards I started line breeding I gifted pups to my friends and  i used to sell a pup to someone I didn't know  if they proved themyself trust worthy they never paid for another, I haven't bred a litter for 11 years so the 5 pups I've had since then where gifted back ......would I give a pup to a stranger I doubt it these days 

Mate I understand where you coming from about gifting a pup especially if you’ve had your fingers burnt . But there’s a lot of advantages to gifting a pup out to trusted men . For example it’s always there if at a later date to fold back in , just the other day I was reading on here men saying to palm pups out helps with a line without that a line can die . I do understand your point though ?

• Like 1

There is a man who commented on this post who has some great blood in his yard any man would be proud of... he gifts pups out.. I have a bitch here he gifted me six years ago..1 of the best workers ive ever had and before I mated her I lifted the phone for his advice and got the service of a top class dog with the same linage which he set up for me... I vouched for 2 other brothers and he vetted me on them and gave the lads the pups which he had never met... one pup unfortunately suffocated on its 3rd dig pushing up too tight..his litter brother I seen him on his first dig...spot on and as far as I know he still doing well..only thing came with the pup was if it was no good it was to be pts...as been said you have to trust some people some times...the mans in a very good position where he has great blood but imo he is in an even better position now for hes got great workers dotted all over this island where there getting tested properly... and all he has to do if he is ever stuck which I dont think he will be but if he ever is very unfortunate and something does happen he will have his blood in good yards... ps... if a pup is gifted I think he gets more honest feed back...because where theres money there's lies...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, jiggy said:

There was 2 things. 1 was if it's no good do what should be done and the other was don't ever breed them with black dogs. ????

The black dog part is 100% true ??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 01/05/2018 at 08:20, Kaiser Sozé said:

No offence FD but you explained in an earlier post you started with Nuttal lines, then bred off a wheeler dog, only later to breed off Nick Stevens stuff. You sound like you were very careful & thorough testing and culling till you produced the workers you have today. If both terriers are from good lines I fail to see how you differ from what this lad is trying to do....

Nuttal and wheeler started with same root stock mate and my first Razor dog from Wheeler was just 2 generations away from the proper divide if I'm told the truth .The Stevens stuff was never blended with mine but kept as separate using my Fly dog over N S bitches as a base .Hope this clears that up .

• Like 3

I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel. More concentrating on how honesty pays off long term and how a lot of folk get on the way they do for no reason.

If everyone listened to what you where told by others, somtimes you’d be second guessing yourself.

But seeing is believing.

A lad not far from me has a lot of contacts and breeding in his yard, whether they’re good or not is another issue, he certainly thinks they’re the best! He runs  about name dropping, breeding etc. thinks he’s the pope of the terriers.

Any local young lads he’s brought out with him, he’s telling them what happens in the field stays in the field! ?

Why did they not ask him originally instead of me for a service, me a nobody just do my own thing and I enjoy it.

The ones don’t want to help anyone or think they have something and boast about it,  when seen from and outsider they have nothing more than middleton at best. That’s why everything’s a secret with them. Blowing there own trumpets over nothing. They wouldn’t give no one a service for free for fear of the man with the bitch maybe asking to see the dog work first! But they’d be the first to take a lad out the road and drop his bitch to test it into a dungeon they wouldn’t put any of their own dogs into. 

If I was like that I wouldn’t be at it. What would be the point? Only denying yourself at the end of the day. Let the dogs do the talking. Think that’s the best way forward. Atb

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 30/4/2018 at 11:02, Kaiser Sozé said:

IF he's a "Genuine bloke" as vouched for by your pal, whom you trust and his bitch is a good bitch, why wouldn't you give him the service? How did everyone else get on... only through the kindness of others.  We're only passing through, it's up to us to safeguard what was trusted to us, that includes giving others the chance to do the same. There's always the chance things might not go according to plan, but that's no reason to keep 'breeding' to yourself. All anyone can do is mix in the right circles (which usually prevents undesirables calling anyway) and when the opportunity arises vet that person as best you can. Besides having first pick (if interested), you then have no control over any resulting pups. Who knows it could click helping a good lad out and giving you an outcross related to your line if needed in the future..jmho?

Teds blood isn't dead yet. It might be in Cork but we have a few here will prove you wrong.

"Why did they not ask him originally instead of me for a service, me a nobody just do my own thing and I enjoy it."

What's that I see ... Is it puffs of smoke ,are ye the new pope ,all hail pope mackers the 1st :D ,

btw the big lad is now lurking on here so watch your eye ;D lol 

7 hours ago, THE GENERAL said:

I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel. More concentrating on how honesty pays off long term and how a lot of folk get on the way they do for no reason.

If everyone listened to what you where told by others, somtimes you’d be second guessing yourself.

But seeing is believing.

A lad not far from me has a lot of contacts and breeding in his yard, whether they’re good or not is another issue, he certainly thinks they’re the best! He runs  about name dropping, breeding etc. thinks he’s the pope of the terriers.

Any local young lads he’s brought out with him, he’s telling them what happens in the field stays in the field! ?

Why did they not ask him originally instead of me for a service, me a nobody just do my own thing and I enjoy it.

The ones don’t want to help anyone or think they have something and boast about it,  when seen from and outsider they have nothing more than middleton at best. That’s why everything’s a secret with them. Blowing there own trumpets over nothing. They wouldn’t give no one a service for free for fear of the man with the bitch maybe asking to see the dog work first! But they’d be the first to take a lad out the road and drop his bitch to test it into a dungeon they wouldn’t put any of their own dogs into. 

If I was like that I wouldn’t be at it. What would be the point? Only denying yourself at the end of the day. Let the dogs do the talking. Think that’s the best way forward. Atb

On 02/05/2018 at 11:02, marshman said:

Mate I understand where you coming from about gifting a pup especially if you’ve had your fingers burnt . But there’s a lot of advantages to gifting a pup out to trusted men . For example it’s always there if at a later date to fold back in , just the other day I was reading on here men saying to palm pups out helps with a line without that a line can die . I do understand your point though ?

i've not become a total c**t the guy who help you out , who is a sound guy at that , if very ugly like a pink shrek , got one from me , and around and around its goes .......just sitting here waiting for a bite :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Glyn..... said:

i've not become a total c**t the guy who help you out , who is a sound guy at that , if very ugly like a pink shrek , got one from me , and around and around its goes .......just sitting here waiting for a bite :)

Nah I didn’t think you was a complete c**t lol

Pink shrek he’ll bite ?

Edited by marshman
  • Haha 1