Simple scenario. Hypothetically speaking if I was to say that I had a few grafters about me, which I don’t ?

Say a friend of mine that knows and has seen them work asks could “his friend” have the service off anyone of my dogs over his mates bitch. 

But I don’t know his mate, never met him before, neither seen his bitch work. I’ve no desire to go in a green field with the lad anyway but I’m told threw multiple sources his bitch is as good as there is around?

His mate can have the service no problem. There’s 1 dog I have and if he wants the service of him, out of pure respect I’ll have to run it by the man that bred him just to see if he’d mind, but I know he wouldn’t give a shit, we’re not fickle like that but he’d be asked anyway.

So basically I don’t mind if someone wants to line a bitch with a decent dog, I don’t want a pup or anything else in return. To me that’s just giving something that should be shared, as long as it’s going to be in decent lads hands and worked and carried on. Well  fingers crossed in a perfect world that would be the case.

How many would do the same? 

Or, are the majority of you’s stuck so far up either your own ass, or heads stuck up someone else’s? That you’d not even concider as it’s no benefit to yourself? 

Genuine question ?

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Again some interesting points raised. The scatterbred scenario I agree, line breeding is the way to go, yet as stated above it has to start somewhere. The man didn’t ask for any particular dog, but th

There is a man who commented on this post who has some great blood in his yard any man would be proud of... he gifts pups out.. I have a bitch here he gifted me six years ago..1 of the best workers iv

The guy is looking pups for himself out of his bitch over a decent dog. As long as the pups aren’t sold on and are worked it wouldn’t annoy me in the slightest. Can see some good points from the comme

Posted Images

I've helped out others and been fortunate to of been offered the use of a stud through similar circumstances..... Didn't work out as the bitch had the one pup and killed it.... Will aways appreciate the lad sorting me out mind. Didn't want anything in return. There's not many out there like that imho?

• Like 1

If the bitch was decent and local I would know about it .If the bitch was nothing to do with what I'd bred id like to meet the man and spend time on a shovel before letting him have the service.Nothing to do with up myself but everything to do with what happens to those pups once born .To give out services without first knowing the man to me  is lazy and IMO  does nothing for the scene as a whole .Just an honest answer .

• Like 5

If you don’t now the lad then charge him a stud fee £150 ish that’s paid at the mating,the stud fee usually sorts out the in it for profit brigade,if he pays the fee and makes an excellent job of the pups regards there upbringing & finding them good homes then you could always give him the stud fee back.

• Like 2

The guy is looking pups for himself out of his bitch over a decent dog. As long as the pups aren’t sold on and are worked it wouldn’t annoy me in the slightest. Can see some good points from the comments but to be honest a lot of folk run around as if the world owes them something which it doesn’t.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 10

IF he's a "Genuine bloke" as vouched for by your pal, whom you trust and his bitch is a good bitch, why wouldn't you give him the service? How did everyone else get on... only through the kindness of others.  We're only passing through, it's up to us to safeguard what was trusted to us, that includes giving others the chance to do the same. There's always the chance things might not go according to plan, but that's no reason to keep 'breeding' to yourself. All anyone can do is mix in the right circles (which usually prevents undesirables calling anyway) and when the opportunity arises vet that person as best you can. Besides having first pick (if interested), you then have no control over any resulting pups. Who knows it could click helping a good lad out and giving you an outcross related to your line if needed in the future..jmho?

• Like 3

But would you take someone else' word for it that both the dog and man were decent or would you want to see for yourself .It sort of smacks of scatterbreeding to me unless the bitch was related in which case I'd defo know about it .Lads using this stud this year and matey down the road next year have no vision for the future taking a gamble on a stud just because he works  ,not saying its' wrong but not the way I do things .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many a man has probably been let down by lads not sticking to their word after they helped them out but the other side of the coin is that the top terriermen of today that won't share anything with anyone wouldn't of got where they are if someone didn't help them to get the foot on the ladder. Just because one d*ckhead let them down doesn't mean the next lad after that won't return the favour or even help them to improve their yard in the future. It all depends on the character of the individual you are asked to trust. In most cases they are probably right to be cagey about it but not always. Many a man lost his lines because he took a wrong turn in breeding or culled healthy pups rather than share them and ended up with nowhere to go back to and get some of his old blood.For example they might have 3 good bitchs and think they are safe but 1 gets killed to ground , another fails to go in pup and the 3rd produces a couple of litters of substandard pups. I bet you would be glad to go back to the guy down the road with the good yard of your breeding that you gifted some pups to and gave a few services and get straight back into the same blood. ( your blood)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

No offence FD but you explained in an earlier post you started with Nuttal lines, then bred off a wheeler dog, only later to breed off Nick Stevens stuff. You sound like you were very careful & thorough testing and culling till you produced the workers you have today. If both terriers are from good lines I fail to see how you differ from what this lad is trying to do....

Edited by Kaiser Sozé
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, foxdropper said:

But would you take someone else' word for it that both the dog and man were decent or would you want to see for yourself .It sort of smacks of scatterbreeding to me unless the bitch was related in which case I'd defo know about it .Lads using this stud this year and matey down the road next year have no vision for the future taking a gamble on a stud just because he works  ,not saying its' wrong but not the way I do things .

I’ve been hunting with the same lads a very long time fd, I trust their judgment and they trust mine if they said a lad was decent that would be good enough for me. In saying that if you haven’t been burned in this game ye haven’t been in it long enough but I won’t let it stop me helping a lad out. On the question of scatter breeding if someone wants to go down that road it’s up to them, all lines have to start somewhere and if it doesn’t work so be it. I’ve never thought I have the goose that laid the golden egg.

• Like 9