.410 Ambush on the corvids

Good shooting fella. Is it single shot or pump action hushpower?  I find eley fourlongs to be very quiet. I use #7 shot. They’re fine close in, but struggle to hit very hard at much over 20 yards for me. My .410 has no choke though, so that might be it? I’m thinking about a Yildiz hushpower when they’re available again, but might get a Mossberg for the extra shots, not sure. I have the Mossberg hushpower in 20 and it’s great, but I know that the .410 version is smaller and lighter to carry around. I’m interested in anybody’s opinions on it though.

3 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Good shooting fella. Is it single shot or pump action hushpower?  I find eley fourlongs to be very quiet. I use #7 shot. They’re fine close in, but struggle to hit very hard at much over 20 yards for me. My .410 has no choke though, so that might be it? I’m thinking about a Yildiz hushpower when they’re available again, but might get a Mossberg for the extra shots, not sure. I have the Mossberg hushpower in 20 and it’s great, but I know that the .410 version is smaller and lighter to carry around. I’m interested in anybody’s opinions on it though.

I am just about to buy one in twenty bore, same as yours, can I ask what cartridges you use through it,

9 hours ago, 3175darren said:

I am just about to buy one in twenty bore, same as yours, can I ask what cartridges you use through it,

Indeed, Eley hi-flyer 20 bore are subsonic (just). 28gram and are very quiet and very effective. Even quieter are Hull subsonic 20, they’re 23 gram, good, but don’t hit like the hi-flyers. I’d recommend you try the Eleys, I’m sure you’ll be happy with them in a hushpower.

1 hour ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Indeed, Eley hi-flyer 20 bore are subsonic (just). 28gram and are very quiet and very effective. Even quieter are Hull subsonic 20, they’re 23 gram, good, but don’t hit like the hi-flyers. I’d recommend you try the Eleys, I’m sure you’ll be happy with them in a hushpower.

What shot size do the eley do, I got two boxes of gamebore no 5’s super comp hushpower, to try I put two through my side by side, and they certainly kill well, there 30 grm, I won’t pick the gun up for a couple of wk, 

10 hours ago, 3175darren said:

What shot size do the eley do, I got two boxes of gamebore no 5’s super comp hushpower, to try I put two through my side by side, and they certainly kill well, there 30 grm, I won’t pick the gun up for a couple of wk, 

The Eleys are 5’s and 6’s, Hull subsonic 20 are 7:1/2 which I use on squirrels where I need to be as quiet as possible due to nearby houses.

edit to add that only the fibre wad hi-flyers are subsonic, plastic wad are faster.

Edited by Rimfireboy!
3 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

The Eleys are 5’s and 6’s, Hull subsonic 20 are 7:1/2 which I use on squirrels where I need to be as quiet as possible due to nearby houses.

edit to add that only the fibre wad hi-flyers are subsonic, plastic wad are faster.

Thanks for that I will give them  a try, don’t know what choke it is yet 

24 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

Thanks for that I will give them  a try, don’t know what choke it is yet 

If it’s new it will probably be full. The 20’s are multi choke but come fitted with a full choke tube if it’s a hushpower as far as I’m aware. Mine is full choke, bought new. I don’t have any other chokes for it.

2 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

If it’s new it will probably be full. The 20’s are multi choke but come fitted with a full choke tube if it’s a hushpower as far as I’m aware. Mine is full choke, bought new. I don’t have any other chokes for it.

Cheers this is second hand Mossberg 500  20 hushpower, as I say I havnt yet seen it, as the dealer is a fare distance from me , I know it’s in good condition,