Putting in kennel drains

Has anyone put in a drain for kennels? 

Want to get a kennel and run up in th garden before new pup comes, there is a drain pipe down the back of the house that collects rain water off the house, would I be able to run it into this or not? 

Even if I can will it be on enough of a slope to drain the water away? I will measure the distance from the back of the house to the back of the garden in a bit but it’s not a huge garden, approx 5m. Currently mostly laid to slabs so I assume those would need to be lifted and have a trench dug down for the pipe? 

Unfortunately the only rear access is through the house so likely need to be dug by hand image.gif.0ce01a00e884ee89aca6b6d9207e352a.gif 

Don't use the acco drains mate unless in the kennel itself for wash down .The smell of piss will drive you mad in open drains .Does the storm water go to a soakaway or main sewer ?If it' soakaway you are pushing your luck with the amount of water you are expecting it to take .I would maybe dig another soakaway nearer to the kennels as deep as possible over the water table if any and pipe it there in sealed pipes .If you use acco drains in the kennel make sure you put a u bend, pea trap between the outflow and underground pipe or the smell will be rank in the summer .Put a pic up of your finished kennel mate 

Where do you run the drains to John? Just a soakaway? Ive had a soakaway down in front of my kennels for 3 years and like has been put on already, they've begun to block up with dog hair etc so are holding water when we have a good rainfall. I'm thinking of replacing the pebbles with new but running an Aco drain underneath them this time? Will this work better does anyone know?

Edited by Rabbit Hunter
  • Like 1

Cut 2 pieces of four inch expanding metal over lap them and place them under lid of gully trap. Place gully lid back on top of them.This will act as a filter and catch most of the dog hairs. The expanding metal will have to be tapped clean after each washing or it will seal up. It's amazing how much dirt and hair it stops getting through.

a36a4ceb-5083-420f-ae85-8ead416c2ea9.jpg

Edited by jiggy
  • Like 1

Don't tap in to the storm/down pipe,I'm stuck benching manholes on site where some plum connected the foul pipes to the storm gullys:censored: lazy cnuts, find the foul main and tap into that, use a back inlet gully and that stop the smell of piss etc, I pick up my shit and it goes straight down the manhole lid, bucket of water stops it blocking. DSC_1333.thumb.JPG.f17f6f36833ab439440a60e29d2e3e81.JPG

• Like 2

I’ve got a reasonably new set up myself. My run is 8ft square with 2 dogs in, ive got acco drains running into a soak away. My soak away is made up of a soak away crate wrapped in its material surrounded in a good 100mm of pea gravel the the soil back on top of the hole. I dug a hole just over a metre deep. My logic for using a soakaway crate is you have a large volume of space for any dog hair to go into. I am hopping it won’t block up. I’ve got a trowelled finish on the concrete bass so the dog shit lifts cleanly. I will be putting a roof on the run this summer to stop all the rain water washing down the drains. 

59 minutes ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I do the same with the shite DC, but I like to swill out every day and that's the water that I need rid of?

I pick up the shit it goes down the foul pipe and quick blast of the pressure washer , water runs into aco  drain s and away, use battles black to kill the smell. If its just water you want rid then a good depth for a soak away should do the trick, I've got a block of 4 terrier runs and 4m x 2.5m run can split in 2 for my lurchers, at the minute I've only got 2 patt terriers outside lol, everything else is to old and in the house?‍♂️Russells don't like living out lol so they inside. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hunter said:

I like the look of the crates, are they built to last or do they need replacing after x amount of years?

Built to last mate. I payed £35 for mine with the membrane to go round it. I think it will take 65 tonne over it as well so it can be used under areas with traffic on it.

29 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

Built to last mate. I payed £35 for mine with the membrane to go round it. I think it will take 65 tonne over it as well so it can be used under areas with traffic on it.

Just finished one of those tanks on site. 100 metres by 30 metres and 6 metres high, last a hundred years so they say, covered over and driveways on top?DSC_1190.thumb.JPG.0c6628a8dc67c90d6c84b147882baf35.JPG

These the ones you used trigger? 

2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Just finished one of those tanks on site. 100 metres by 30 metres and 6 metres high, last a hundred years so they say, covered over and driveways on top?DSC_1190.thumb.JPG.0c6628a8dc67c90d6c84b147882baf35.JPG

These the ones you used trigger? 

I used a different make mate but similar sort of thing. Polly storm crate, I’ve just looked them up and the chap who sold it me got his wires crossed a little, the polystorm crate takes 20 tonnes of weight not 65 like he said.