Well I like them.

22hv ammo is often poo poo'ed, it's the transonic blah blah blah or sumick.

I got some eley yesterday as I was a fan of them years ago and I still am. Turns a 22 into a 100yd plus critter stopper.

In fact I only missed a 200 yd crow because I guessed the wind wrong, off hand!.

IMG_20180422_161554999.jpg

U.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Too right Nathan, so many people saying .22 hv’s are crap, not accurate. Load of crap. If you find some that suit your rifle, they work, just like subs. They either work well in your rifle or they don’t. Just needs time to try some different brands. Where did you get the Eleys Nathan, so I might purchase some if my travels take me near the same emporium? Good shooting too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Too right Nathan, so many people saying .22 hv’s are crap, not accurate. Load of crap. If you find some that suit your rifle, they work, just like subs. They either work well in your rifle or they don’t. Just needs time to try some different brands. Where did you get the Eleys Nathan, so I might purchase some if my travels take me near the same emporium? Good shooting too.

Trent firearms.

Stoke on Trent.

01782 302937.

• Like 1

TBH they should drop a tree rat at even 500yds if you can hit them as it only takes a couple of foot pounds to despatch them and at that range, .22LR HV still has the power of an FAC air rifle. Biggest problem with .22 and range is bullet drop. Get that sorted, and .22 will take small pests out to long ranges.

Problems with LR start when you start to push the range with bigger prey. Against small ground game and birds, there aren't likely to be many issues as even 40gr is large when you're body mass is only a couple of pounds. Even subs will take rabbits and birds at quite long ranges quite humanely with a well placed shot.

Personally, I like HV's. The issues becomes they're noisy, and if they're noisy, then other longer range options open up that may be more suited to increased range eg. HMR, Hornet etc.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1
On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 09:20, Alsone said:

TBH they should drop a tree rat at even 500yds if you can hit them as it only takes a couple of foot pounds to despatch them and at that range, .22LR HV still has the power of an FAC air rifle. Biggest problem with .22 and range is bullet drop. Get that sorted, and .22 will take small pests out to long ranges.

Problems with LR start when you start to push the range with bigger prey. Against small ground game and birds, there aren't likely to be many issues as even 40gr is large when you're body mass is only a couple of pounds. Even subs will take rabbits and birds at quite long ranges quite humanely with a well placed shot.

Personally, I like HV's. The issues becomes they're noisy, and if they're noisy, then other longer range options open up that may be more suited to increased range eg. HMR, Hornet etc.

ANY bullet drop is fairly readily calculable, it is the wind drift that is more of an issue, and a .22lr is worse than a HMR in the wind.  I use .22lr at Bisley at 200 yards, on a good day about half the shots will be V-Bulls, as soon as there is a hint of wind its time to quit!

A .308 has more than enough energy to kill a squirrel at 3.5 MILES, that's about as sensible as a .22lr at 500 yards!

.22LR isn't a long range calibre in any ammo format, that's why we use other calibres as the distances increase.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, andyf said:

Try CCI Velocitor (if you've not already), best HV round out there IMO.

AndyF

I used Velocitors, they were pretty quick and hit quite hard, but a bit tight to chamber generally.  I also found the Remington Yellow Jacket HP pretty good, they were a bit faster but lighter!