.410 moderated pump - cartridge help

I’ve got one of these coming for some squirrel control I need to do.

What is the sound difference between the 2.5” and 3” cartridges? I can’t source any 3” subsonic cartridges one that are apparently made for the job but don’t want to buy a slab of shite. Any advice from those in the know would be appreciated. Picking it up on Tuesday.

In mine I'm quite happy to run 3" supersonics. Subs are quieter but not so much as I care. There is a noticeable difference between 2.5 and 3 but again it's not huge imo.

If the job was so sensitive that I was uncomfortable using supersonic carts in a moderated gun then I'd probably feel subs are still marginal personally.

IMO the moderator is a more dominant factor in the shot volume than the choice of subsonic ammunition.

• Like 1

Cheers guys - it’s on a private estate and noise isn’t a massive issue so I might just start with the 3” supers and maybe get a couple box’s of 2.5” to try as a few dB could be useful in some other places.

Mostly I don’t want to push the deer about at this place while I’m doing it as the idea it to smash a few squirrels and then have a stalk after.

I shoot 2 1/2'' ,number 6 shot Eley subsonics. My ears start to ring at noises others think aren't that loud and I can shoot these with out muffs. You want to be no further than 25yrds with these as they drop off quickly. I also use 2 1/2'' Lyalvale cartridges, get from Mole Valley, in number 6 and 5 shot. These are harder hitting and noticeably louder than the subs, but still quiet in a moderated gun compared to an unmoderated gun. The Eleys are a 12.5g cartridge and the Lyalvales are both 14g. I have used 3'' Eleys in number 6 shot that are 18g as well. They'll give a bigger spread of lead. Just buy a box of each and shoot at some card board boxes to get a feel for them.

• Like 1

Got up this morning and the Mrs says she's put some food out for the birds and there's a rat running back and forth taking the food. I get the .410, mine's a Baikal Hushpower single shot, stick a 2 1/2'' sub in and creep out side. I'm stood there in me pants and a pair of Ugg boots, 'bout 15yrds away, when I see the rat run to the food. Soon as it stops, 'FHUUUUT!!', and she's dead. It was a big 'ol female rat and it looked pregnant. Took it across the field and left it for the buzzard. I told one of the farmers that I shoot for that I leave a lot of rats and rabbits etc in the field for the Buzzards and he went on a bit of a rant as they take his young pheasants. I said as long as they're eating what I leave they ain't taking his poults, he said....'Fair point....'' :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1