Difference between Theoben Rapid 7 & 12

Hi all,

Still looking for my first FAC air rifle and one of my local places have got a Rapid 12 I believe. 

Ive had a look online but cant really find anywhere which tells me the difference between a 7 and a 12.

Can anyone shed any light please?

Cheers

It’s the magazine capacity. You can get 7 or 12 shot mags for the rapids, they’re interchangeable. Have a look for damaged screw heads and tell tale signs of ham fisted tuning attempts. Many have been butchered over the years by DIY home tuning as rapids were a prime choice for high power output. They’re strongly engineered though and can usually be put right by somebody who knows what they’re doing. A bit agricultural nowadays maybe, but I wouldn’t part with mine even though the HW100 is much more refined.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Rimfireboy! said:

It’s the magazine capacity. You can get 7 or 12 shot mags for the rapids, they’re interchangeable. Have a look for damaged screw heads and tell tale signs of ham fisted tuning attempts. Many have been butchered over the years by DIY home tuning as rapids were a prime choice for high power output. They’re strongly engineered though and can usually be put right by somebody who knows what they’re doing. A bit agricultural nowadays maybe, but I wouldn’t part with mine even though the HW100 is much more refined.

Fantastic, thank you for your reply.

I wondered why there wasn't anything obvious online about the 2, but if its just Mag size then that would explain it.

Thanks again

On 4/18/2018 at 12:54, pav said:

If your wanting one in fac mite be best going for a mk2 as they are regged so more shots

Just to confirm Pav, not all Mk2 fac are regged from the factory. Mine had a quick fill but no reg although to be honest it ran on the nail keeping at 28fpe for a couple of hunting trips out so don't be too concerned about it being regged.

Mine had a 16'' barrel which does less shots per fill compared to a 19'' barrel but I by far preferred the shorter length and balance.

I sold mine as I am ALWAYS using my FX Impact fac, far far better but more money.

Phil

19 minutes ago, philpot said:

Just to confirm Pav, not all Mk2 fac are regged from the factory. Mine had a quick fill but no reg although to be honest it ran on the nail keeping at 28fpe for a couple of hunting trips out so don't be too concerned about it being regged.

Mine had a 16'' barrel which does less shots per fill compared to a 19'' barrel but I by far preferred the shorter length and balance.

I sold mine as I am ALWAYS using my FX Impact fac, far far better but more money.

Phil

Your [BANNED TEXT] Phil early mk2 did have fast flow all I was suggesting that a mk1 rapid with fast flow and 16inch barrel doing 32 ft b will only get approx 35 full shots a mk2 doing about the same will get around 50 

• Confused 1
5 minutes ago, villaman said:

only time will tell   in 8-10 years time

Yes it will the same rapid will be 20 year plus and still going strong let' see how many others will be around

Buy an FAC Rapid they are considerably cheaper than a sub 12 gun and less hassle as less paperwork. For FAC you want a late mk2 gun with a reg as standard so higher shot count and a mk4 trigger unit  also as well as better porting more suited for FAC.Another bonus with the Rapid platform is that they have a massive following and standard and uprated parts are easily available,also there are  new designs being developed and new parts being made all the time for them . Like already mentioned some of these Rapids are well over 20 years old and still going strong .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 3
9 minutes ago, MickC said:

Buy an FAC Rapid they are considerably cheaper than a sub 12 gun and less hassle as less paperwork. For FAC you want a late mk2 gun with a reg as standard so higher shot count and a mk4 trigger unit as well as better porting more suited for FAC.Another bonus with the Rapid platform is that they have a massive following and standard and uprated parts are easily available,also there are  new designs being developed and new parts being made all the time for them . Like already mentioned some of these Rapids are well over 20 years old and still going strong .

Say no more job done