Using a dog like a ferret?

I'm new to working dogs but I have a young lurcher and he's coming along nicely. I've been wondering for ages if their is a dog suitable for entering to rabbit warrens in a similar way to ferrets? I've read a bit about teckels in the ultra mini rabbit size but seems to be very little info on them. Would a small jack Russel do the job and would it be a realistic or advisable way to hunt? What I have in mind is entering the little dog to flush rabbits to the lurcher for some daytime work just like a ferret but also a dog that could work cover to flush rabbits and any other game, and maybe track the lurcher/prey if he runs off after more wide ranging quarry. Not sure I'll get away with another dog anyway but it doesn't stop me daydreaming! It would need to be something readily available and reasonably cheap as well (should probably just get a ferret)!

• Haha 1

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get your self a PlayStation like the rest of the fantisits.

It's not exactly common though is it and would be near impossible to get the right dog. It's just bad advice telling an inexperienced person to go down that path and end up wasting time and money on  

Don't waste your time looking because there is a lot of small dogs that can't get up to a fox never mind a rabbit. If they could then nobody would bother keeping stinking ferrets. Get yourself a terri

Puting a dog into rabbit warrens is sure to end in tears.Best getting 2 ferrets and a dog that don't drop in for bushing to the lurcher.You wan't to enjoy your days hunting not turn it into a nightmare.Some of the warrens here barely fit a big hob,let alone a dog.

6 hours ago, Attaboy said:

I'm new to working dogs but I have a young lurcher and he's coming along nicely. I've been wondering for ages if their is a dog suitable for entering to rabbit warrens in a similar way to ferrets? I've read a bit about teckels in the ultra mini rabbit size but seems to be very little info on them. Would a small jack Russel do the job and would it be a realistic or advisable way to hunt? What I have in mind is entering the little dog to flush rabbits to the lurcher for some daytime work just like a ferret but also a dog that could work cover to flush rabbits and any other game, and maybe track the lurcher/prey if he runs off after more wide ranging quarry. Not sure I'll get away with another dog anyway but it doesn't stop me daydreaming! It would need to be something readily available and reasonably cheap as well (should probably just get a ferret)!

Don't waste your time looking because there is a lot of small dogs that can't get up to a fox never mind a rabbit. If they could then nobody would bother keeping stinking ferrets. Get yourself a terrier or lurcher for marking holes and a ferret to drop in if they get a good mark. Preferably a ferret that has very little human contact and has been fed with a catapult and hasn't been handled in 12 months. He will soon educate you and your fingers. ??? If he is awkward bring a can of tuna to get him out of the hole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, day and night walker said:

Iv'e heard of rabbit dachshunds but were they ever used that way, if they were they would had to of been smaller than a chiwawa. Can't see it myself.atb.

They'd probably be more popular if they were I suppose. 

• Like 1