Spotted fin

I’m thinking of trying something different from my usual cell and activ8 this year , no reason really , just fancy a change and spotted fin have caught my eye . Has anyone tried catalyst or the newer smokey jack and if you have do you rate them . 

Thanks for the reply , I was talking to a bloke in the shop yesterday who said pretty much the same thing about catalyst so it sounds like it could be worth a go . The smokey jack their new bait on one of Frank Warwick’s old recipes I think . He said it smells like bacon frazzles and I think he said it’s got tuna in it aswell , I’d bet it will be a good barbel bait too . I’ll order a few kg of each and try it one on each rod to see which one I prefer. 

On 15/04/2018 at 15:36, neil r said:

I’m thinking of trying something different from my usual cell and activ8 this year , no reason really , just fancy a change and spotted fin have caught my eye . Has anyone tried catalyst or the newer smokey jack and if you have do you rate them . 

Love Activ 8. Its been around for donkeys years and still produces the goods. There aren't many baits that can stand the test of time like Activ 8 has done. Haven't tried either of the others you mention but do generally trial  different baits particularly in the summer. We're always looking for the latest "hot" bait but I always come back to the old favourite. 

1 hour ago, saharashadow said:

Love Activ 8. Its been around for donkeys years and still produces the goods. There aren't many baits that can stand the test of time like Activ 8 has done. Haven't tried either of the others you mention but do generally trial  different baits particularly in the summer. We're always looking for the latest "hot" bait but I always come back to the old favourite. 

I know what you mean , I’ve tried various different companies like sticky , dynamite ,sonubaits and impulse over the years but I always end up back on mainline cell , aciv8 and hybrid . Just got a feeling about spotted fin though for some reason so I’m going to give it a try even though I’ll have to pay full price for it and see how it goes . 

The first boilies I used back in the day were richworth and if memory serves they were a dark coloured plum flavour one I think , never tried the their Tuttis though . I didn’t know they were still going ,  I’ve not seen them in the shops for a while now . Another one I used was their esterberry but just seemed to get tench , eels and the dreaded bream on it . 

If you order 3kg of the spotted fin stuff the price drops to 29.99 and the more you order the cheaper it gets . I’ll order a few key for my next trip and see how it does . If it’s ok I’ll try and get my mate to stock it , that way I’ll be able to get it at trade price , if i don’t like it I’ll be back on mainline 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve not ordered them yet because one of the lads in the shop has a couple of kg of catalyst he says I can have , he’s been dropping it off at the shop all week though and hasn’t so far . He’s been using it for a while and says it’s a good bait and he’s had some nice fish on it . If he doesn’t drop it off for Wednesday I’ll have to just buy it direct because I’m going next Sunday/Monday 

• Thanks 1